[COMPLETE] The Man from Snowy River by 'Banjo' Paterson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You bet - thanks! I'll get you in the MW shortly.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie »

So, since this is a DL Thanks Foon :) do I need to add anything in the MW?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Nope. I do (and did) it. :)
arrowheadAussie

awesome, thanks
Foon

Post by Foon »

I just had a listen to your first section, it's really lovely to hear this in an Aussie accent! :D

PL notes section 0:
1:50 - You might want to include the title "Prelude" here, just as the title of the preface. For clarity, I personally would include it, but up to you.
- You forgot to include the 5 seconds of silence at the end, right now there are 0. :)
- There is a slight background buzz in the recording. I don't know if you use Audacity and how familiar you are with noise cleaning, but it's the type of noise Audacity can clean up really well. I would recommend taking the short "opening silence" as your noise profile, since there aren't many other extended pieces of silence in the recording. Let me know if you need additional pointers on that!

Besides these small things, excellent reading :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

PL notes section 1:
- As in section 0, don't forget to include 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording. :)
- There is a similar background buzz to section 0, but nothing noise cleaning shouldn't be able to fix
- At 5:10, the line "'Till they halted cowed and beaten" sounds rather different from the surrounding sections. I know how hard it is to re-record a line and make it fit... But it's quite a bit louder than the lines around it, so de-amplifying that short section by ~2.5dB (just a guess, play with it?) might make that sound much nicer :D

These are all minor things that should be easily edited. It's a lovely reading, I wish I could have such an accent when reading Banjo's poems :lol:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
arrowheadAussie

Thanks for the great comments, I am definitely a novice and yes I am using Audacity, but not sure how to clean up the track, I think the hum is actually my computer, I'm going to try re-doing the recording and move it away from the screen a little. Thanks again.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Noise removal is pretty easy. I do it on all my recordings.

Here are a couple resources:
text instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics
video, but with an older version of Audacity so the settings are different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

My default settings are as follows:
Noise reduction: 10-16
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 6
arrowheadAussie

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/manfromsnowyriver_00_paterson_128kb.mp3

I re-recorded the section, I'll replace the existing on in MW...
Thanks again
arrowheadAussie

Foon

Post by Foon »

Excellent new recordings for section 0 and 1, they are PL OK! :thumbs: :clap:

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

PL notes section 2:

- There are some “shuffling” sounds in the background at 0:08, 0:41, 1:04, 1:38, 3:10, 4:34, 5:08, 5:24, 6:17, which distract from your lovely reading
- 1:19 I hear “At the Turon the Yallendon filly”, the text reads “Yattendon”
- 4:04 I hear “All lathered and stripping with sweat”, the text reads “dripping”

- OPTIONAL: You can use the shortened disclaimer at the start of the section. It's entirely up to you if you want to use it, but I thought I'd point it out that you can do so.

Readers needed:
arrowheadAussie

Thank you so much, I'll take your advice and go with the shortened, and I'll re-record section 2, time to leave the cat outside :)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hey, just to be clear; there is no need to record the whole poem (which I'm not sure if you were planning to do, based on your post). You can record just the lines with issues (or, in the case of poetry, I personally do 2 or 4 lines so that the rhythm doesn't get thrown off too much) and cut and paste those in the right locations.
Then, if you upload it, you can mark it as "ready for spot PL", which is an indication for me that I only need to listen to the things I brought up in the PL notes.
If you change more than I noted, please mention so in a post. Then I know what else to listen for. :)

Readers needed: