COMPLETE[NF solo]A Mind That Found Itself by Clifford Wittingham Beers-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Tom, You're way ahead of me, but I'll do my best to catch up!

Chapter 4: 6:43 - “stimulated my brain to the assembling of disturbing thoughts in an almost endless train.” - this phrase is repeated

Chapter 5: PL OK

Chapter 6

"Chapter 6 of..." is missing from the beginning of the recording

5:59 "...that I could not choose the less of two evils" - I heard 'loss' for 'less'

All the best,

Phil
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

On the Introduction - the recording is now fine, but you have around 20 seconds of silence at the end of the file, which should be 5 seconds.
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Thanks, Phil. I can fix these next week.

Take your time. I'm purposely ahead of schedule, as I'm in the process of moving from Ohio to South Carolina (hence there may be some difference in sound quality), and I know I'll be tied up as we empty and sell one house and move into the other.

(Apropos of which - I don't know whether you're allowed to suggest it, but as I'm new to self-recording and getting used to audacity, as well as to using different recording spaces, I have no problem -- should you find that a submission doesn't measure up -- with re-recording entire chapters. Please feel free to suggest it if you're comfortable. This is a book I encountered as a teenager, one that made an impact on my outlook and career choices, so I'd like it to be the best I'm capable of at this point in my recording "learning curve".)

Best,
TD
eggs4ears wrote: July 28th, 2018, 4:03 am Tom, You're way ahead of me, but I'll do my best to catch up!

Chapter 4: 6:43 - “stimulated my brain to the assembling of disturbing thoughts in an almost endless train.” - this phrase is repeated

Chapter 5: PL OK

Chapter 6

"Chapter 6 of..." is missing from the beginning of the recording

5:59 "...that I could not choose the less of two evils" - I heard 'loss' for 'less'

All the best,

Phil
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

PL Notes for Chapters 7 - 9

Chapter 7
'Chapter 7 of...' is missing from the start of the file

Chapter 8
'Chapter 8 of...' is missing from the start of the file
6:40 - the short section 'to continue to live... in the annals of their craft' is read twice

Chapter 9
Just following the Librivox disclaimer you have read 'nine', whereas I think you would usually read 'Chapter nine'
13:58 - 'who among those who knew him' - I heard 'me' instead of 'him'

On the introductions to each file, there is a little inconsistently, and I am assuming that you intend to read, for example, 'Chapter 7 of A mind that found itself...' and then 'Chapter 7' following the Librivox disclaimer. If that is right, then I will continue to point out differences from that.

I am really enjoying your reading of this book, which is as if you 'own' the narrator's character! On the editing, I can maybe make a couple of suggestions. These are just what I do, which doesn't mean they are right! I usually leave a little extra space between paragraphs - around 1.5 or 2 seconds. Also, I usually take about 1 second of room noise from the beginning or end of the file and then use that to do a noise removal on the whole file. I also copy that 1 second of cleaned up room noise and use it when I need to insert a bit of silent space - for example, between paragraphs. That seems to help to smooth out the background noise.

Hope your move goes well! I think there will inevitably be some difference in the recorded sound, but I don't think most listeners notice that.
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Thanks, Phil. I'll try to heed your suggestions as I proceed.
TD
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Resubmitted Section 1 Intro with edited outro down to 5 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_01_beers_128kb.mp3

1:45
TD
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Resubmitted Chapter 4 (Section 5) with edit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_05_beers_128kb[1].mp3

12:04

TD
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Chapter 29 (Section 30)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_30_beers_128kb.mp3
25:35

TD

Will fix Chapters 7,8,9 by the weekend.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Tom, This corrected file is PL OK, but please note the different filenames below and in the MW. You may want to re-upload the file with the [1] removed from the end to match the MW. Phil
TomDaley wrote: August 1st, 2018, 9:01 pm Resubmitted Chapter 4 (Section 5) with edit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_05_beers_128kb[1].mp3

12:04

TD
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapter 10 is PL OK

Chapter 11
2:52 - Missing phrase - "...were taken after breakfast [for walks within the grounds] ”
8:03 - "My ankles had not regained anything like their former strength” - I heard 'mind' for 'ankles'.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

PL Notes for Chapters 12 and 13 - Chapter 14 is PL OK

Chapter 12, 16:29 'perverted and perverse', I heard 'perverted and perverted'

Chapter 13, 07:29 'All is grist', I heard 'All this is grist' (extra word).

And something I should have noticed much earlier, which I noticed this time because I used headphones, rather than my laptop speaker. The files I listened to seemed to be recorded as stereo with sound from the left channel and silence from the right. I didn't heck every file, but I did check a couple of earlier files and they were the same.

I am not sure how important it is to fix this (maybe Algy can advise), or how to do it. That would depend on how the recordings were made. If you used Audacity, converted stereo to mono, and still have the original files, it would be straightforward to fix.

All the best,

Phil
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Final three chapters/sections posted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_31_beers_128kb.mp3
17:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_32_beers_128kb.mp3
23:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/amindthatfounditself_33_beers_128kb.mp3
7:54

Hope I didn't inadvertently change my settings to stereo, but, as I indicated, as this is my first project, I'm not averse to re-recording now that I have a bit of familiarity with Audacity.

I'll spend this and next week fixing the glitches you've discovered.
Also, if you think it worth it, I'm inclined to use a shorter disclaimer at the beginning of each chapter, as you do in th e Clog Shoppe stories. Thoughts?

I thought there was a longer disclaimer to mark the end of the project, but found only "End of _______, by _______."
If indeed there is a proper disclaimer, please let me know.
Thanks for the work you've put in on this. It's quite a learning experience!

Be well,
Skip