[COMPLETE]Pioneer work in the Alps of New Zealand - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

12 PL Ok.

Yes, though I have had to use online maps to help me figure out where we are sometimes. Not a fan of sardines even when wrapped in bacon.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi

Chapter 13 has been uploaded for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_13_harper_128kb.mp3
28 min 22.1 sec, 89.8 dB.

And, the MW played nice for me today.

Cheers, and thanks for listening

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

13 PL OK.

Lucky (MW) 13!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Yep, lucky MW 13. Fourteen worked too.

Chapter 14 is uploaded for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_14_harper_128kb.mp3
32 min 58.1 sec, 89.7 dB.

The last two weekends we have gotten up into some of the big valleys on the east coast side - the Godley (two weekends ago) and the Dobson (last weekend). Got a good view of the head of both (cheated, 4wd a lot of the way, but did do some walking) -- such beautiful country. The rivers are really low right now. What little water there is has been trapped as snow and there hasn't been meaningful rain for a while. The middle reaches of the Dobson were dry bank-to-bank. It's going to be a bad year to depend on hydro unless we get a wet spring on the divide.

I'd love to get into the Landsborough (the closest I've been is the highway at the bottom or the Brodrick hut in the Huxley) - but that probably means spending $$$$ for a chopper ride and raft trip out....

Have you picked the notable omission so far from this book? Where are the sandflies?

Thanks for listening!

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

14 PL OK.

Heading off to British Columbia next week. May be off the grid many days until our return in October. Hopefully we will not encounter too many biting things. Weather here has been very wet, almost daily rain. BC should be the same but cooler. Will try to send some rain your way.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Here is Chapter 15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_15_harper_128kb.mp3
29 min 20.6 sec, 89.4 dB.

As well as I can deduce, the Twain river is now called the Douglas river, and the only remnant of the Twain designation is Twain Col on the main divide, just to the southwest of Maunga Ma (Mt Maunga).

Hope BC is enjoyable. There was footage on the evening news sometime recently of a fire tornado somewhere in BC that managed to suck up a fire hose. Nothing that NZ loves better than a weird weather story!

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

15 PL OK.

Heavy rain has limited our hiking. Lows near 40 degrees so at least it's not snow. Surprised to discover that snow tires and/or chains are required after Oct. 1. Two days ago it was 95 in Chicago.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne or David -

[Before you read this post, I've since writing it uploaded Chapter 16 (next message). Maybe David can see what he thinks when listening to Chapter 16 - but happy to modify if a reader's note would help.]

I'd like an opinion please. If you look at p. 255 (or 339 of 438) of the pdf file of Pioneer Work you will see a jagged line drawn. It is somewhat helpful for understanding the content of the next paragraph or two.

I wonder about inserting something like "Reader's note. A sketch of a jagged line has been drawn resembling four joined Vs, where the left-hand side of each V is on a gentle slope at about a 35 degree angle and the right hand side nearly perpendicular at about an 85 degree angle. End of reader's note."

I've heard other readers insert notes before but never done so myself.

What do you think? If it's a good idea but what I have written isn't particularly clear, can you suggest revised wording please?

Thanks

Gail
Last edited by gailtv on October 3rd, 2018, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

I've uploaded Chapter 16.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_16_harper_128kb.mp3
28 min 33 sec. 90.3 dB

The bit referred to in the above message occurs at about 6:07 where it reads "thus...". Let me know what you think and I can go back and edit in the explanatory text if you think it is a good idea.

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

16 PL OK.

The sentence before the diagram seems pretty self-explanatory so I don't think the diagram adds much information (and therefore does not require an explanatory note).
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Chapter 17 is uploaded for DPLing please.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_17_harper_128kb.mp3
26 min 58.1 sec, 89.5 dB.

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

17 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Crikey that was quick!!
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Exciting (and interesting) narrative.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

I am really enjoying reading it. Sadly it is almost finished. I understand now why there aren’t walking tracks up some of those valleys. APH was pretty staunch! Cheers
instagram
#gailtv.art