[COMPLETE]Pioneer work in the Alps of New Zealand - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

gailtv wrote: July 27th, 2018, 2:45 pm
Anne --

I have realised that I have messed up the meta-data for Chapters 4 and 5 - not using the Roman numerals. Would you like for me to fix the metadata and reload -- easily enough done.

Thanks both.

Gail
There's no need - the titles in the MW are automatically used as metadata when the project starts to be catalogued, so as long as they are correct in the MW when the project is ready all's right with the world :D
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.

Fox Glacier next ...someplace I remember seeing.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Yep, Fox Glacier.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_07_harper_128kb.mp3
25 min 30.1 sec, 89.0 dB.

Bit of a spoiler, but Fox Glacier seems to be the place for sprained ankles - I sprained mine when I was there a few weeks ago.

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK.

I was impressed by the volume of meltwater at Fox Glacier. Luckily no one strained their ankle in my group.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

Chapter 8 has been uploaded for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_08_harper_128kb.mp3
21 min 15.5 sec, 90.0 dB

The Fox Glacier melt water was not huge when we were there -- it looked like it would be quite easy to ford in the right place. Never seen it that low.

I like wekas. I'd like to have a pair in my back yard - as a counterpoint to all the neighbour's barky dogs - and because they have so much attitude. Not in the right part of NZ though... they would need an aviary (and a permit) here...

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

8 PL OK.

We had a wekas follow us when we were hiking one day. It's not our practice to feed wildlife so it finally gave up but our daughter was enchanted by it.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

Chapter 09 is uploaded for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_09_harper_128kb.mp3
22:59.8, 87.8 dB

I used to think that a fall would just end up with a soft landing on my pack too - until I found myself rolling down a slope. It didn't end well but fortunately I only injured my right hand (and my husband was with me to administer first aid).

We don't feed birds either - except for the occasional robin that visits us at lunch, which may score a small piece of cheese.

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK.

The MW was cooperative for me. We've been fortunate and have suffered nothing worse than sore muscles and feet.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

Thanks for putting the data into the MW. It still isn't working for me -- letters OK, but not numbers. Maybe my browser (Chrome) but I don't know why it should be. Ah, computers.

Anyway, here is Chapter X.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_10_harper_128kb.mp3
29:17.3, 89.9 dB.

My most freak accident in the bush was when a small branch/large stick fell out of a tree and hit me square on the head. It knocked me out briefly, but I was OK and not obviously concussed, although I did suffer dizziness for a while after. It wasn't even windy!

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10 PL OK.

You hear stories about people dying from falling tree limbs, rocks, etc. A friend was hiking in Colorado and another hiker in the group was struck by lightning (or it struck nearby). Sadly this individual has had persistent neurological problems since.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My daughter was driving 2 weeks ago and heard a bang - and a tree had fallen across the back seat roof of the car :shock: . The car is a right off but fortunately the tall back seat passenger was sitting behind the driver and the major roof damage was on the passenger side. They were all very lucky I feel.

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Anne - Wowza! Everyone is very lucky that no one was hurt, or worse, and presumably the car was insured. She must have been driving in a rural area? Was it stormy? I've noticed when bushwalking in Australia that there are often warnings about branches falling during times of high wind.... but tree falling on car - not good.

And...

Here is Chapter XI

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_11_harper_128kb.mp3

32 min 28.6 sec, 88.5 dB.

Thanks for editing the Notes box (David?), and thanks for listening. It still won't play nice with me for entering numbers.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

11 PL OK.

Went to a wedding anniversary party last weekend and was seated next to a woman who grew up in New Zealand (and married a US sailor). They had just returned from a visit and talked about the fog that that prevented them from going up on the Franz Josef Glacier.
(Yes, David)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you google black spur you'll see what the road is like , the trees are mountain ash
The Mountain Ash is the world's tallest flowering plant and can reach heights of up to 150 metres. However generally they only reach 100 .
They are quite impressive .
re bushwalwalking and high winds, eucalypts tend to drop branches on hot still days rather than windy ones . dead branches may break off in wind but living ones seem to just drop because the tree doesn't want them , the trees are the great survivors here. Fire is fuelled by all their oil , killing off the opposition, and they are left as black trunks - and in 12 months they are covered in green.

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote: August 16th, 2018, 4:43 pm If you google black spur you'll see what the road is like , the trees are mountain ash
The Mountain Ash is the world's tallest flowering plant and can reach heights of up to 150 metres. However generally they only reach 100 .
They are quite impressive .
re bushwalwalking and high winds, eucalypts tend to drop branches on hot still days rather than windy ones . dead branches may break off in wind but living ones seem to just drop because the tree doesn't want them , the trees are the great survivors here. Fire is fuelled by all their oil , killing off the opposition, and they are left as black trunks - and in 12 months they are covered in green.

Anne
Hi Anne - I'm pretty sure I've been on that road -- while on a day trip quite a few years ago when visiting a brother-in-law who was living in Melbourne at the time. I've also admired Eucalyptus regnans in Tasmania. There's a reserve there with some huge ones somewhere near Mt Field NP. (Leeches too) If one of those came down on your daughter's car, everyone is very lucky!!!

Hi David -

I have uploaded Chapter XII.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pioneerworkalps_12_harper_128kb.mp3
32 min 33.2 sec, 89.5 dB

The chapter ends with a recipe - so 21st century!! And another spoiler - the roots remind me of doing something similarly dodgy when doing a day walk up Mt Stormy near Karamea, to get across a razorback ridge.

I'm really enjoying this book - I hope you are too.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art