COMPLETE: The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume 4 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV by François-René de Chateaubriand (1768 - 1848). Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-memoirs-of-chateaubriand-volume-iv-by-francois-rene-de-chateaubriand/

After the extinction of Napoleon's comet on St Helena, Chateaubriand covers the Bourbon Restoration in this volume, meeting a dazzling array of literary and political figures, as his diplomatic career advances. ( Nicole Lee)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54879
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: French literature, bourbon restoration

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV, by François-René de Chateaubriand. Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV by François-René de Chateaubriand. Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV, by François-René de Chateaubriand. Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename memoirsvol4_##_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. memoirsvol4_01_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: François-René de Chateaubriand
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Memoirs of Chateaubriand Volume IV

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraverage
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'd love to be the DPL. Thank you!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

All set here. :)
Jo
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thank you, Jo and Rapunzelina. Sorry for the long pause before starting, we've been very busy at work. The first section is up now, which is Book 7.

Nx
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Nicole!
So for book 7, just one pl note: around 46:15-46:17 a repetition of "and chose me to present them"
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thanks Rapunzelina - corrected and ready for spot check!

Nx
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Spot-checked OK!
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thanks Rapunzelina - sorry for the long pause, I've been on holiday. Book 8 is up now.

Nicole x
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Nicole! I hope you had a great time on your holiday!
Book 8 is PL OK!
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thanks Rapunzelina - yes, our annual trip back to Malaysia to see my mum and sis! it was lovely.

Book 9 parts 1 and 2 are up now!

Nx
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Nicole!

I enjoyed this chapter! Your reading is commendable as always. I was overwhelmed by the description of Londonderry's suicide.

Here are a couple of PL notes:

Book 9, Part 1
at 8:09 and 8:12, a repetition of "with which the King had specially charged me"

and an optional edit of a different word: around 18:07, text is "swinging their body, their heads and their legs so that I thought at every turn that they must needs fall at full length", I think I'm hearing "at every inn". I consider this an optional edit since it doesn't change the meaning.

Book 9, Part 2
at 26:54, missing letter subtitle "The Vicomte de Chateaubriand to the Comte de Rayneval", just before the date.
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thanks Rapunzelina - corrections have been made and uploaded and book 10 is up now as well

Nx
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You're welcome, Nicole! Book 10 was captivating, both content and reading!

As far as PL notes are concerned, it's perfect apart from two instances of repetition in the intro: at 00:04-00:08 "Book 10 Part 1 of [...]" and current 00:27-00:28 "Book 10 Part 1".

Book 9, Parts 1 and 2 are spot-checked: PL OK!
fbtoast

Post by fbtoast »

thanks Rapunzelina.

Book 10 has been corrected and reuploaded

And parts 1-3 of book 11, plus an appendix to book 11, have been posted.

Nicole
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, Nicole! Another great couple of hours of listening pleasure!

Book 10: Spot-checked PL OK

Book 11, Part 1:
Around 28:40 it seems like 2 paragraphs have been cut out, here in bold, just enough so that you can find it in the text and check:
[...] she escaped nothing, and was carried by the tide of the crowd to her carriage.
The next day, Madame Récamier went to Kensington Gardens, [...] without recognising the expression.
On the eve of Madame Récamier's departure, [...] to the Prince of Wales.

The next day, she set sail for the Hague and took three days to make a crossing of sixteen hours.

Book 11, Part 2: PL OK

Book 11, Part 3:
19:34, a short repetition of "He is fortunate enough --"
12:30, a short phrase missing "its hope; even then, it was known"