[COMPLETE] North Lancashire by J. E. Marr - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

North Lancashire by John Edward Marr (1857 - 1933).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/north-lancashire-by-john-edward-marr/
Cambridge County Geographies was a 75 volume series covering the counties of England, Scotland and Wales. Separate volumes were produced for Lancashire north and south of the River Ribble. J. E. Marr's volume on North Lancashire covers a geographically diverse region, including Furness and the Lake District west of Lake Windermere, that now spans Lancashire and Cumbria. As much a history, guidebook and gazetteer as it is a geography, Marr's volume paints a rich and in places idyllic picture of the northern parts of the county in the years before the first world war. ( Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/northlancashiree00marruoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: MZSGjSt1

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (John Edward Marr) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward_Marr

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 6
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1912
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: geography, Lancashire, the lake district

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of North Lancashire. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "North Lancashire, by John Edward Marr. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of North Lancashire by John Edward Marr. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of North Lancashire, by John Edward Marr. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename northlancashire_##_marr_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. northlancashire_01_marr_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: John Edward Marr
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: North Lancashire

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on May 10th, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I have an MC - annise - and DPL - newgatenovelist.

All sections ready to upload!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And now you have a MW :D

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Flying visit!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

A couple of notes for PL.

I have read the title as North Lancashire: Cambridge County Geographies, but I have realised that it doesn't say Cambridge County Geographies anywhere on the book (that must have come along later - the series is still in print!). So I'll delete that.

In the first file, there is a long and unreadable table of geological periods (p.22 around 25:00 in the recording). I left that out as well as a couple of sentences that explain it.

Also in the last file I left out the bit that explained the abbreviations of county borough (CB), etc., as I read them all out in full.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

so I can think about the cover - what suitable area/object that the mention would you suggest ?

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Thanks for the heads up. I've downloaded the files, so they're all ready and waiting. When I went to the Internet Archive page to download the pdf, I noticed one person has marked it 'favourite'. Was that you by any chance? I always wonder which one person in the world it is when someone out of hundreds or thousands of people has favourited something.

No worries about the omission of the table. Some things just don't translate well to audio. I dropped similar things in my last solo (thanks again, Anne!).

I should go pack, but we'll meet again in north Lancashire next month!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The images in the book are a bit dull. How about one of these?

https://archive.org/stream/lancashirearchi00brutuoft#page/n273/mode/2up
https://archive.org/stream/lancashirearchi00brutuoft#page/n297/mode/2up

They are from one of the first books I read on Librivox.
annise wrote: April 26th, 2018, 4:11 am so I can think about the cover - what suitable area/object that the mention would you suggest ?

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

No, it wasn't me! And I can't imagine who would do that, other than a close relative!!!

The author also wrote the books on Cumberland and Westmorland. The collector in me says read those as well, but I think I'll restrain myself :)

Newgatenovelist wrote: April 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm I noticed one person has marked it 'favourite'. Was that you by any chance?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

Could you help to see if my recording of this book is okay for librivox? https://archive.org/details/excursiontolakes00hutc

The should be no problem with the book itself, but the recording may run up against the sound effects rule. I recorded the different sections in the places that he was writing about. From what I have edited so far, it is all audible and good quality. There is wind, rain, birds and the odd sheep here and there, but nothing added as it is was all there when I did the recordings.

Don't worry if it doesn't work for librivox, as I am also intending to put it on youtube with a slide show of photos that I took.

All the best

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

it's only added sounds that are a problem, I don't think sheep are likely to complain about their privacy being breached , Just say it's recorded on the sites in the summary - adds a bit of interest for most people

Anne
Like the illustrations :D
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne, I'll go ahead with that one, then. After Phra and North Lancs have been catalogued that will be my 50th solo project, so it will be nice to do something different. I believe this is the first guidebook to the Lakes, although it is not exactly a guidebook. A guide in the form of a description of his journey - I am not sure what you call that genre.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

"Phil's rambles " :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Haha! Rambling is what I do when give lectures :)
annise wrote: May 1st, 2018, 2:29 am "Phil's rambles " :D

Anne