[SOLO] Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries by Melville Davisson Post - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries by Melville Davisson Post (1869 - 1930).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/selected-uncle-abner-mysteries-by-melville-davisson-post/
Fourteen mysteries from the pages of the Saturday Evening Post, the Metropolitan, Red Book, and Pictorial Review magazines featuring Uncle Abner, who solves crimes in the pre-Civil War West Virginia hill country. His weapons are keen observation, logic, and a fundamentalist’s belief in the victory of good over evil. Melville Davisson Post’s historical mysteries have been favorably compared to those of his fellow American Edgar Alan Poe. ( Winston Tharp)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/uncleabnermaste00postgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: west virginia, historical mystery, pre-civil war

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries, by Melville Davisson Post. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries by Melville Davisson Post. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Selected Uncle Abner Mysteries, by Melville Davisson Post. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename uncleabnermysteries_##_post_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. uncleabnermysteries_01_post_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      Please use your BC login and password
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by k5hsj on July 28th, 2018, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Searching for an MC and a DPL. :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Winston,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up.

Looking at the Table of Contents I see XVIII or 18 chapters, not XIV or 14. Are you planning on combining more than one chapter into some sections?

David O
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks for taking on this project, David. I’m doing a selection of 14 stories from the book, “Uncle Abner Master of Mystery,” not the book. They were all previously published in various magazines. I’ll get started recording while we’re waiting for a DPL to show up. :D

Winston
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Winston,

You have every right to do a selection, if you choose.

Would you be interested in opening this up to a group project and letting other readers take on the 4 stories you don't plan to read? Since this book is not in the Librivox catalog it would be nice to get it all recorded and published.

Looking at the Librivox page for Melville Davisson Post ( https://librivox.org/author/2362 ) the only thing I see already recorded from this text is "The Angel of the Lord", in Short Ghost and Horror Collection 014.

David O
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, but I'd like to leave this as a solo, David. Someone else might want to do the book as a group project to provide "choice of voice." :D I've populated the MW with the stories I'll read.

Winston
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Winston & David O,
:D May I claim DPL?
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Welcome aboard, Helen! Now, I just have to start recording. :D

Winston
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Helen,

Welcome, you should have MW access now.

Moving this to Going Solo.

David O
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 01 is up, Helen. We're off and running!
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 1 The Doomdorf Mystery
PL OK

Can't get any better than a locked room mystery.
Winston, you reading is wonderful. :9:
Helen

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Helen. Glad you liked it. Tony Hillerman included it in his collection of best American mysteries, which got me interested in doing this project.

Winston
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Hi Helen,

Another Abner for you. Section 2 is up. At this rate, I may be done by Christmas! :D

Winston
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 2 The Wrong Hand
PL OK
At this rate, I may be done by Christmas!
If all the sections are like this, it will be worth the wait.
You were amazing! :clap:
Helen

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Hi Helen,

Just wanted to let you know that I haven’t given up on this. We’re on vacation, and I won’t be back at the computer until July 10. Will try to make up for lost time then.🙂

Winston