COMPLETE: Commentary on John Book 7 Cyril of Alexandria - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book 7 by Cyril of Alexandria (c. 376 - 444). Translated by Rev. Thomas Randell (? - ?)

This recording is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/commentary-on-the-gospel-of-john-book-7-by-cyril-of-alexandria/

This recording, of the fragments which are extant of Book 7, of Commentary on St John's Gospel covers John 10:18 - 12:2. ( The Reader)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/cyril_on_john_07_book7.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book 7. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book 7, by Cyril of Alexandria. Translated by Rev. Thomas Randell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book 7 by Cyril of Alexandria. Translated by Rev. Thomas Randell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book 7, by Cyril of Alexandria. Translated by Rev. Thomas Randell."

There should be ~5 seconds' silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename commentaryonjohnbook7_##_cyrilofalexandria_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. commentaryonjohnbook7_01_cyrilofalexandria_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:

https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

The DPL for this project will be Pattymarie. Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You're all set!
Laurie Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got your message and book marked the page, Monaxi. Looking forward to starting.
Pattymarie
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Moved to Going Solo.
Laurie Anne
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Pattymarie! Here is the first section: https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/commentaryonjohnbook7_01_cyrilofalexandria_128kb.mp3 23:30 Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 1 is PL OK. This section somehow had me thinking through most of it of one of the most beautiful passages of literature that I know. It's in the third book of Paradise Lost where Milton has God the Father ask the entire host of heaven left after the fall of Satan and his rebellious angels who will go to sacrifice himself to restore fallen man. You may well have read how all the host falls silent until God the son offers himself and receives tumultuous applause of all the faithful spiritual creatures.
Pattymarie
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Pattymarie, I'll have to confess that I've not yet read Paradise Lost. I'll have to add that to my list!

I'm losing my voice, but not really sick. Hopefully, it will be back before too long. :(

Peace be with you,
Sister
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Praying that you stay healthy and your voice recovers strength and comfort quickly.
Pattymarie
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Good morning, Pattymarie! My voice bounced back quickly, and here's the second section: https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/commentaryonjohnbook7_02_cyrilofalexandria_128kb.mp3 25:35
Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 2 is PL OK. Here's a link to the solo recording of Paradise Lost at Librivox https://librivox.org/paradise-lost-by-john-milton-2/ and here's the group project https://librivox.org/paradise-lost-by-john-milton/ . I'll confess, I've only read the first three books in print and relied on audio to get through the rest. I'm sure there's a lot to be gained from reading it in print, though.
Pattymarie
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Pattymarie! Thank you for the links.

Here is the third section: https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/commentaryonjohnbook7_03_cyrilofalexandria_128kb.mp3 25:15 Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 3 is PL OK. :)
Pattymarie
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Peace be with you,
Sister
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 4 is PL OK. This section is so powerful with the insight that Christ's miracles of raising the dead don't just prove deity, might and compassion, but foreshadow how his own death is for the purpose of restoring our human nature to the life God intended. We are actually living in a miracle of raising the dead. Alleluia!

I also enjoyed his brief, incisive observations of the motives, psychology and spiritual level of the other people involved -- so different from some of the rather silly expansions on the scripture narratives that I've seen or heard in some modern Christian books.
Pattymarie