[COMPLETE]The Mabinogion (Volume 2) Tr. by Lady Charlotte Guest - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

The Mabinogion Vol. 2 by ANONYMOUS ( - 0). Translated by Charlotte Guest (1812 - 1895)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-mabinogion-volume-2-by-anonymous/
This is the second of three volumes of The Mabinogian, a collection of some of the earliest tales from the British Isles. Lady Charlotte Guest translated the stories in Volume 2 from a 14th-century Welsh manuscript, The Red Book of Hergest. These stories include the earliest written reference to the legendary King Arthur. ( JoLynne Walz Martinez)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19973
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Mabinogion Vol. 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Mabinogion Vol. 2, by ANONYMOUS. Translated by Charlotte Guest. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Mabinogion Vol. 2 by ANONYMOUS. Translated by Charlotte Guest. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mabinogion Vol. 2, by ANONYMOUS. Translated by Charlotte Guest."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename mabinogion2_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mabinogion2_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

You might have to divide up the longer stories into parts 1 and 2. We limit the length of sections to what can fit on an audio CD - 72 minutes. That works out to 10,000-11,000 words. That can be determined later on, though. :)

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here:
Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I'll enter the first section title for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Could I DPL this?
Pattymarie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put you in, pattymarie. Thanks!
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

pattymarie wrote: April 10th, 2018, 5:47 am Could I DPL this?
New to this site and have noticed there are a lot of abbreviations. What does DPL mean? :?:
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

:) DPL generally means "dedicated proof listener." I used it as a verb here meaning, may I be the dedicated proof listener who will proof listen all the files. If you are planning to go on to the thırd part of the Mabinogion, I'd like to dpl that, too.
Pattymarie
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

pattymarie wrote: April 10th, 2018, 9:02 am :) DPL generally means "dedicated proof listener." I used it as a verb here meaning, may I be the dedicated proof listener who will proof listen all the files. If you are planning to go on to the thırd part of the Mabinogion, I'd like to dpl that, too.
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. And I look forward to working with you! :D
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

TriciaG wrote: April 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm I'll MC this.

You might have to divide up the longer stories into parts 1 and 2. We limit the length of sections to what can fit on an audio CD - 72 minutes. That works out to 10,000-11,000 words. That can be determined later on, though. :)
Looking back over the text and thinking about dividing the text into more manageagle parts for recording, I see there are three stories. The first, Geraint the Son of Erbin is divided into three sections, so I will record it that way. The second story, Kilhwch and Olwen, is divided into seven files (some quite short and some longer) And the third story, The Dream of Maxen Wledig, is not divided into sections. That means that in addition to the introduction I will have 11 sections, I think.

Also, there are some short footnotes from the editor attempting to clarify Guest's translations from the Welsh. Do you have any suggestions about how to handle these in the reading without overly disrupting the narrative? I'm assuming this is an issue that has come up before for others.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added more sections. If you end up adjusting and changing the number in future, that's no problem. :)
Also, there are some short footnotes from the editor attempting to clarify Guest's translations from the Welsh. Do you have any suggestions about how to handle these in the reading without overly disrupting the narrative? I'm assuming this is an issue that has come up before for others.
You can leave them out entirely if you want; it's up to you. If you want to keep them in, it's not very easy. You could do them in-line and say, "footnote / End footnote" to designate them, but that would disrupt the flow of the narrative as you said. You could also lump them all at the end by restating the previous phrase and then stating the footnote, like this:

"And there he held it seven Easters" - Add “successively.”
"And there were assembled" - And he summoned to him.
"and beheld a knight upon a ... hunter foal" - Add “bespattered.”

That's not ideal, either.

If it were my project, I'd probably ignore the footnotes altogether. Those listening are probably listening for enjoyment, and don't care about the fine nuances of the translation. *shrug*
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

TriciaG wrote: April 10th, 2018, 9:37 am If it were my project, I'd probably ignore the footnotes altogether. Those listening are probably listening for enjoyment, and don't care about the fine nuances of the translation. *shrug*
That was my incliation, but I wanted to make sure it's okay.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Definitely okay. :) We have a policy of "the text, the whole text, no modifications" for the MAIN text, but the footnotes, any prefaces or appendices, etc. are up to the soloist or book coordinator.
jolynne

Post by jolynne »

I just uploaded the introduction: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mabinogian2_introduction.mp3 (1:55) See what you think.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please add it to the Magic Window. Put the URL in the URL field, the duration in the Notes field, and change the status from Assigned to Ready for PL. :)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 0 is PL OK. So sorry, I forgot to bookmark this and so didn't receive a notification when you posted this, JoLynne. I've bookmarked it now.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Hi Jolynne and Tricia,

Just letting you know that I'm going to be traveling for the month of August with only my pnone that I'm not good at using for internet activities, so if anything is posted here I might have to catch up on it in September.

Best,
Patricia
Pattymarie