[COMPLETE]Heroines of Fiction by Howells,William Dean-kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Heroines of Fiction by William Dean Howells (1837 - 1920).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/heroines-of-fiction-by-william-dean-howells/
This two-volume work includes heroines from the works of Eliot, Trollope, Hardy, Harte, Austen, Edgeworth, Scott, Dickens, Hawthorne, E. Bronte, Thackeray, and others. These studies of nineteenth-century literature were by a critical light of the time. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/heroinesfiction03howegoog https://archive.org/details/heroinesfiction00unkngoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: social commentary, character delineation, religious controversies

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Heroines of Fiction. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Heroines of Fiction, by William Dean Howells. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Heroines of Fiction by William Dean Howells. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Heroines of Fiction, by William Dean Howells. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename heroinesoffiction_##_howells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. heroinesoffiction_01_howells_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by neecheelok70 on April 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Jim

I think this sounds highly interesting and I'd like to brush up my knowledge of all these books. Maybe I find one or two that I would love to read later on. :9: So I can DPL if you don't mind and I'll also set up an MW for you.

Do you want BOTH volumes in the same project ?

Stay tuned !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, Jim, I set up the MW. As you can see, I only input 20 sections so far, but I'm sure you will need a lot more. But you forgot to input the number of sections in your template, so I had to set those up manually. I am guessing some chapters may have to be split in two sections, so I couldn't guess how many sections you need.

You can add more sections if needed along the way. Only if you use more than one section for one chapter, maybe it would be a good idea to say "Section xx" instead of "Chapter xx" in the disclaimer, to make it less confusing. :hmm: It's up to you, but maybe we should iron out the technicalities before you start recording.

And lastly...would you mind putting the page number where a section starts in the "notes" section, so it will be easier for me to skip to, when I have to PL later on ? :)

Good luck, I'm sure this will be a very interesting read and listen. :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Wow! What a surprise. As if you didn't already have enough. But I am very thankful for your help setting up, of course, and also very happy that you will be my DPL. Yeah, I starting setting this up right before bedtime, so I didn't quite get it all together. I noticed that the Mrs. Dymond page was set-up with both volumes and thought it a simpler way to go. But if you think otherwise, we can change it. I will change the chapters to sections as you suggested. Yours, Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 5th, 2018, 4:21 amI noticed that the Mrs. Dymond page was set-up with both volumes and thought it a simpler way to go. But if you think otherwise, we can change it.
it's as you wish, the two books together have 38 chapters, so even if they have to be split in two we end up with no more than 80 sections total, and I think that's not too much for a project. So you can well keep them together, if you feel like it.
I will change the chapters to sections as you suggested.
yes maybe to be on the safe side it would be good to say "sections", even if you manage to cram one chapter into one section later on. No harm done then.

I'll move us to going solo then, since all is set up :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sounds good. I went to the Dashboard, thinking I could fix the notes as you indicated to express pages, but had no luck. Or do I add in the pages as we go along?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 5th, 2018, 4:40 am Sounds good. I went to the Dashboard, thinking I could fix the notes as you indicated to express pages, but had no luck. Or do I add in the pages as we go along?
yes too late to change the template now ;) no worries, it's easy to insert new sections. Have you never done that ? When you're in the MW, press the button "Add new section" and then you can fill in the name of the section and insert yourself as reader.

If you need help, just holler.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, I have done that. It was your comment about notes that led me to try to change that column somehow. I was able to put info in one of the boxes and save it. So as you say I can simply insert the page numbers as i go along. Once again, I see that was the procedure for the Mrs, Dymond project. All set then. MANY THANKS, YET AGAIN! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 5th, 2018, 4:53 amIt was your comment about notes that led me to try to change that column somehow. I was able to put info in one of the boxes and save it.
well I only meant, writing the page on which a section starts in the notes box is helpful. You see, that is how I do on the World Story project. It's easier to find back the pages in such a big book.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, it is, much easier!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sonia, I decided to jump in to see where I needed to adjust to conform, something I have always had trouble with. First, I discovered that I had put in Heroines of Literature in places in my template instead of Heroines of Fiction, so I changed those, but I assume you will have to re-enter those on your end (so to speak). Then for title, I included the book and chapter as well as title. Finally, for notes , as you can (I think) see, I put pages and time, something I have not seen before, so I worry that I have erred there. I will be away this weekend, but will do whatever you advise as soon as I return. Yours, Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote:Sonia, I decided to jump in to see where I needed to adjust to conform, something I have always had trouble with. First, I discovered that I had put in Heroines of Literature in places in my template instead of Heroines of Fiction, so I changed those, but I assume you will have to re-enter those on your end (so to speak). Then for title, I included the book and chapter as well as title. Finally, for notes , as you can (I think) see, I put pages and time, something I have not seen before, so I worry that I have erred there.
It all looks perfect for me, thank you Jim. Will try to PL your first chapter later on.

Have a nice weekend ! Hopefully the weather is fine. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I was curious, so I listened to it immediately. And we're off to a great start :clap: Textually no errors found and already the listener is hooked by interesting descriptions. I am really looking forward to hearing about each heroine in detail in each chapter. :9:

Only one single note, which is totally optional though, but neither in the intro nor outro, you mention "read by Jim Locke". Was that intentional ? I'm just asking, because in the group projects you always say it, so I was wondering why you would want to leave it out for your solo. :hmm:

But I'll mark the section PL ok. If you wish to add your name, just tell me when you reuploaded. :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Good news! Actually, I have only used my name in these two (so far) Eastern (China and Mesopotamia) projects and there because it seemed to be a part of the instructions. However, I have noticed that many people do. Should I? Thanks for everything. I'm already eager to get back to work. Yours, Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 7th, 2018, 4:59 amGood news! Actually, I have only used my name in these two (so far) Eastern (China and Mesopotamia) projects and there because it seemed to be a part of the instructions. However, I have noticed that many people do. Should I?
ah no, you don't have to if you don't want to. Even in my Eastern projects, this particular instruction was only optional. If you want to leave your name out, you are free to do so.

Sonia