[COMPLETE] Indian Boyhood by Charles A. Eastman - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I just added Part 3 Chapter 3. Now I am off to play with my grandchildren.
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK.

Watch out for any snakes.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Howdy. I'm back in the saddle again, and after meeting some deadlines in my non-librivox life, I just added 4 more sections.
Funny thing, after checking the index several times, I still can't find any Part IV. The book skips from Part III to Part V.
???

Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I believe that Chapter 4 (HAKADAH’S FIRST OFFERING) of Part III is actually the missing Part IV. Except for the needed intro and outro changes the file is pl ok.
11-13 PL OK.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I just added Part 6 Chapter 2, and fixed the Part 4 (which I had previously named Part 3 Chapter 4)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10, 14 PL OK.

I corrected the files names so that they had the numbers 10 and 14, respectively, in them. The section number must be in the file name. The next section you record will be section 15 and the file name will have the number 15 in it. This file will replace the older file you uploaded with the number 15 in it.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I've got some more recordings ready.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

15-18 PL OK.
The volume is just a tad low (85.3dB). A clip at 12:33 is preventing amplification. First, always use Audacity (Effect/Amplify) to change the volume of the file. But if clipping occurs and prevents amplification you can use Effect/Compressor to remove the peak(s) in the audio waveform. Watch the video below. Your file is very close to the minimum volume (86dB) but if you haven't used Compressor before this is a good file to practice on. You amplify after using the compressor utility. Sometimes you need to repeat the process a second time (compressor-amplify-compressor-amplify) to get the volume above 86dB. That is likely not necessary for this file.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Oh, thank you for telling me about compression. I tried it on track 19 and then I increased the amplitude. Here is a question which I feel a burning need to know: How do I know when I am at the correct volume? For example, you said my volume was a tad low, 85.3. Where did that number come from? What is the perfect volume? When you say a minimum volume of 86, does that mean all the sound waves should be more than that? Surely not! Is it all right to increase and decrease volume for effect? How do I adjust the recording to bring it to a perfect volume? Is that too many questions?
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

19 PL OK.

86-92dB as an average volume is the LV goal. Below are two different methods for determining volume.

1. Use the instructions below to install the plugin ReplayGain into Audacity.
- Click this link,
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4685
and save the file to your computer - somewhere you can find it.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag or copy the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- The next time you start up Audacity go to Effect/ReplayGain* and it'll tell you how much you can amplify your file. If you highlight part of the file it will tell you how much you can amplify just that part of the file. It does not give you the exact dB of the file but it can be inferred from how much it tells you to amplify to achieve an average volume of 89dB.
*If you do not see the plugin (near the bottom of the Effect dropdown menu), then at the very top of the Effect menu click on Add/Remove Plugins. You may need to "enable" the plugin. Once enabled restart Audacity and look for the plugin in the Effect dropdown menu.

2. Another useful program is Mp3Gain. It gives you the actual dB levels for the audio file and it can also analyze multiple files (e.g. an entire book). It is a separate program independent from Audacity and is available free at the following link:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php
Have fun.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello, Craigdav
Today I learned about plugins to Audacity, and after a lot of fumbling got it to work, I think. I told it to normalize, so you will have to let me know if the recordings are normal enough. 3 more chapters, all normalized, possibly.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

20-22 PL OK.

The volumes were 88.3, 88.4 and 88.2dB, respectively. Congratulations, your IT certificate will arrive in the mail shortly.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I can't wait to get my shiny new IT certificate.
I just added another chapter.
The end is in sight (or should I say, the end is in hearing? Nah.)
Carol
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello, CraigDav. I just uploaded section 24, and that's all (s)he wrote I'm not sure why I put in space for 25 sections, but it is finis, das ist alles.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

24 PL OK. Finished!

Extra section deleted and Project Screen updated. Before I can catalog this book you will need to write a book summary. You can either post it here in the project thread or you can edit your first post.