[COMPLETE] Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds by Wladislaw Lach-Szyrma (1841 - 1915).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/aleriel-or-a-voyage-to-other-worlds-by-wladislaw-lach-szyrma/

When an Oxford undergraduate meets by chance, a mysterious stranger, during a walking tour of France, he does not know that the unusual charismatic being he has made the acquaintance of, is in fact a disguised alien being, named Aleriel.
Coming from the planet of peace, Venus, this space travellerclaims to be visiting Earth for the first time.
Thus begins an unusual interplanetary friendship, that takes our Oxford graduate on an amazing adventure, first into the war-torn streets of Paris, then across the English Channel, to busy London and finally on to tranquil Oxford. Aleriel then leaves his friend and explores many parts of the earth, to discover the state of mankind and humanity, before departing in his 'ether car' for the Moon, then returning to his home planet to report all his findings to advanced beings there. Aleriel next experiences, with two Venusian companions, an perilous, exciting and illuminating tour, of the solar system, visiting first Mars, the asteroids and planetary moons and finally, mighty and mysterious Saturn and Jupiter. All this extra-terrestrial experience, Aleriel records in a fantastic journal, which arrives mysteriously at our now-married undergraduate's home.
It is an incredible story. But is it really the truth or just a very clever hoax? Our young couple travel to meet Aleriel in the mountains of Switzerland, determined to find out.

A contemporary of both Jules Verne, the fantasy Victorian novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton, and later the futuristic writer HG Wells, This 1883 novel by Polish-English curate, author and historian: Wladislav Lach-Szyrma, is an extraordinary, futuristic and visionary tale, will entertain, enlighten and intrigue every listener. Nigel C.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/alerielorvoyaget00lach#page/n5/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds, by Wladislaw Lach-Szyrma. [Chapter number and title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds by Wladislaw Lach-Szyrma. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds, by Wladislaw Lach-Szyrma. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename aleriel_##_lach-szyrma_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. aleriel_01_lach-szyrma_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Setting up the MW shortly.
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

Hi Craig,

I have set up the magic window in order to solo on this book.
Please could you assign all the chapters for me. I have suggested and end date by 1st August 2018, which should give me enough time to complete the project.

Wish me luck!

Nigel Carrington
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

You are the reader for all sections. Let me know if you need any help, especially entering data into the MW. In the audio files you do not have to mention the section numbers (each section can be uniquely identified by its part & chapter number). I have given you BC status so you should be able to edit the MW. Below is a link for new BC's.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving book to "Going Solo" forum to keep the book "Launch Pad" tidy.
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

Would it be better to mention the sections? Each section has chapters that begin each time with chappter 1, so it could lead to confusion for the listener...and ME, if I don't keep my files in specific blocks.

Nigel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Nigel,
Yes, mentioning the section number at the beginning of the intro and the outro is fine. At the end of the intro I would just mention the part and chapter though. I'll adjust the MW to show this but further adjustments are possible. For example, you might mention the part and chapter numbers only at the end of the intro. Being consistent would be good so you should decide pretty soon.
Dave
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

Hi Dave. I will go with the chapter numbers you have listed in the magic window. Not many listeners will have the book to read along with the audio, so incremental chapters and not chapters always starting from 1 in each section makes sense. I will quote the part number at the start of each section...and then just quote the chapter and it's title at the beginning.

At the end of each chapter...do I say "end of part -- chapter -- ?
Am I expected to quote the book title and author, plus me, as reader at the top and tail of EACH chapter?

That seems a lot of topping and tailing for one book, read by a single reader...do I have to do it each time

Sorry to be so exacting about this. I want to achieve consistency and follow the Librivox protocols properly. This is my first go at a whole book for Librivox (don't worry I have done plenty of others at home, for Audible etc).

I have recorded the preface and the first 5 chapters, they need some final tweaking and mastering, but should be uploaded soon.

Let me know if all this is ok.

Cheers
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

NCarrington wrote: March 21st, 2018, 11:06 am Hi Dave. I will go with the chapter numbers you have listed in the magic window. Not many listeners will have the book to read along with the audio, so incremental chapters and not chapters always starting from 1 in each section makes sense. I will quote the part number at the start of each section...and then just quote the chapter and it's title at the beginning.

At the end of each chapter...do I say "end of part -- chapter -- ? ====You could leave out the part number and just give the chapter number.
Am I expected to quote the book title and author, plus me, as reader at the top and tail of EACH chapter? ====You can use the shortened intro after the first section. You do not have to say "read by" (or perhaps only in the intro of the first and last sections). The outro should just be "end of chapter #"

That seems a lot of topping and tailing for one book, read by a single reader...do I have to do it each time ====Because some of our listeners are visually impaired each section should mention the title and author at least once. Longer sections (>30m) help.

Sorry to be so exacting about this. I want to achieve consistency and follow the Librivox protocols properly. This is my first go at a whole book for Librivox (don't worry I have done plenty of others at home, for Audible etc).

I have recorded the preface and the first 5 chapters, they need some final tweaking and mastering, but should be uploaded soon.

Let me know if all this is ok.

Cheers
I hope I've answered all of your questions. Yes, planning now is important.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

About how long are the chapters?
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/aleriel_preface_lach_szyrma.mp3

12' 29"

Preface uploaded. Not sure how to format the file names for this book.
I forgot about the meta-tags..I have used Adobe Audition 1 and don't know if it has created them automatically.

More to follow

Nigel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The correct file name for the preface is shown below. The number in the file name is the section number (from the MW). That's really why we need section numbers. They keep the files in their correct sequence (00, 01, 02,...etc.). The next file (Part 1, Chapter 1) would have the number 01. I can correct the file name for the preface so don't worry about it.

aleriel_##_lach-szyrma_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number. For the preface, aleriel_00_lach-szyrma_128kb.mp3
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Section 00
Reading is great. In the intro and outro you refer to "Part 1" before saying "Preface." The section number (not part number) for the preface is 0. If you decide you don't want to give the section numbers in your readings (but just the part and chapter numbers) then "Part 1" should be deleted. Again, the reading is great and it reminded me of why I like this book.
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/aleriel_pt1_chp1_the_hunchback.mp3

10' 03"

Part 1 Chp1 of Alerial.. mastered with small hiss removal applied and the compander default setting on Adobe Audition. Let me know if it sounds a bit too limited.

Nigel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

File sounds fine. In the intro after saying the part and chapter numbers you should give the book title and author and the LV disclaimer. See below.

"Part [number] Chapter [number] of Aleriel; or, A Voyage to Other Worlds by Wladislaw Lach-Szyrma. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

The chapter title then follows at the end of the intro.