COMPLETE The Texan Star by Joseph Altsheler-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

The Texan Star by Joseph A. Altsheler (1862 - 1919).
( )

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-texan-star-by-joseph-a-altsheler/

1. Text source (only read from this text!): www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15852
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Texan Star. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Texan Star, by Joseph A. Altsheler. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Texan Star by Joseph A. Altsheler. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    • "End of The Texan Star by Joseph A. Altsheler. "
      There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    texanstar_##_altsheler_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. texanstar_01_altsheler_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  5. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Edmonds,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I see that you didn't get the final part of the "first post" copied from the template generator. I'll paste that in from another source and get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you! You are a true treasure.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started. If you decide not to read the preface, then just edit that section title to remove the reference.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:D :D :D

Alrighty, the first chapter is up and ready to be Proof Listened. Whoever would like to volunteer, I would gladly enjoy your company as I take you on this winding path through Mexico and Texas.

EDIT: Here is chapter 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/texanstar_02_altsheler_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Edmounds.
I can't DPL for you but I thought I could help out a bit. I downloaded your first chapter. I only listened to the first couple of minutes and thought it best to stop and offer some initial feedback.

It's seems you might have a DC offset (first second and then at 0:30) Do you see how the middle of your waves are not always right on the 0 line? I haven't experienced the problem but I'm pretty sure that it's a DC offset issue. If you are using Audacity, this video might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gze0qOPea1E&feature=youtu.be

-The opening silence should be less than 1 second and you should not have the open click in there from turning on the mic.
-Something happened around 18 minutes where you got substantially louder and have a lot of clipping which can cause distortion. You will want to decrease the volume for this part of your section. For the future try to lower the input volume of your mic or back away from it a bit so you aren't clipping during the recording.
-Ending silence should be trimmed to 5 seconds.
-Once you adjust the DC offset, evaluate if the track needs noise cleaning. It sounds as if it does but I don't know if it's caused by the offset.

Once you make these adjustments please reupload for a proper PL.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I fixed everything you told me to fix, thank you for the PL. I just uploaded chapter 1 again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/texanstar_01_altsheler_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for Chapter 1
You still have some DC offset. 0:00, 0:27, 0:58, 1:52, 2:17, 2:40, 4:33, 5:17, 6:06, 6:18, 6:41, 7:09, 7:14, 7:48, 8:05, 8:37, 9:14, 9:20, 9:24, 9:40, 11:26, 11:47, 13:46, 13:50, 14:40, 15:28, 15:43, 16:32, 16:50, 17:35, 21:02, 21:04, 22:01 Most times this causes a slight “snap” at the start of the offset. If you can’t resolve you might want to copy a smaller segment 2-3 minutes long and post in the help needed forum. viewforum.php?f=23 Be sure to post what software and version you are using.
Bit rate needs to be 128kb and constant.

You need to do a noise cleaning. It looks/sounds as if you did a noise cleaning on your ending silence only. After you get the noise profile be sure to select the entire track to apply the noise cleaning to.

0:27 distortion – They could see through the narrow window

11:22 small stumble on inhabitants (you should just be able to clip this out)

21:07 distortion – Their quarters were commodious
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 2
Did you change mics or processing for chapter 2. There is no offset in chapter 2. :thumbs:
When we do voices we have a tendency to get louder (0:13, 0:43). Be sure to compensate for this by lowering the input volume or moving back slightly from the mic. It’s tougher to achieve with a headset mic but if you have a stand-alone mic I find that just by changing my stance to shift from flat footed to back on my heals is enough to compensate. Where there is clipping during recording you can get distortion. You get close to distortion in a number of areas particular on Mr. Austin.

You used the full intro. Since this is a solo you have the option of using the shorter intro.

6:23 He had been descending it seemed to him please increase volume. You dropped off significantly here and it’s hard to hear you.

7:00 He saw the…slipped from the rope Increase volume on this sentence. Without adjusting my volume I don’t know what is being said.

13:32 slight repeat – scarcely at all

Ending silence needs to be extended to 5 seconds.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

linny wrote: February 26th, 2018, 6:34 am Chapter 2
Did you change mics or processing for chapter 2. There is no offset in chapter 2. :thumbs:
When we do voices we have a tendency to get louder (0:13, 0:43). Be sure to compensate for this by lowering the input volume or moving back slightly from the mic. It’s tougher to achieve with a headset mic but if you have a stand-alone mic I find that just by changing my stance to shift from flat footed to back on my heals is enough to compensate. Where there is clipping during recording you can get distortion. You get close to distortion in a number of areas particular on Mr. Austin.

You used the full intro. Since this is a solo you have the option of using the shorter intro.

6:23 He had been descending it seemed to him please increase volume. You dropped off significantly here and it’s hard to hear you.

7:00 He saw the…slipped from the rope Increase volume on this sentence. Without adjusting my volume I don’t know what is being said.

13:32 slight repeat – scarcely at all

Ending silence needs to be extended to 5 seconds.
I finished editing Chapter 2, fixed everything you told me to fix.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/texanstar_02_altsheler_128kb.mp3

There she be. I'm planning on using the full intro for all the chapters, I just think it sounds better.
linny

Post by linny »

Ending silence is still at 4 seconds instead of 5. All other corrections are spot check PL OK.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

linny wrote: February 26th, 2018, 9:12 am Ending silence is still at 4 seconds instead of 5. All other corrections are spot check PL OK.

How necessary is the exact 5 second long exit silence? That's a lot of hassle for me to add 1 second of silence, if 4 seconds would work, that would be awesome.

Here is Chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/texanstar_03_altsheler_128kb.mp3
I'm still looking into the Chapter 1 issue.
linny

Post by linny »

You know you can copy a second and paste in order to extend?

Since it’s a solo, I suppose it’s up to you. The 5 second rule is in place because there are a number of players on the market which tend to cut off a number of ending seconds. 5 seconds ensures a listener will get to hear all of your section.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

linny wrote: February 26th, 2018, 4:26 pm You know you can copy a second and paste in order to extend?

Since it’s a solo, I suppose it’s up to you. The 5 second rule is in place because there are a number of players on the market which tend to cut off a number of ending seconds. 5 seconds ensures a listener will get to hear all of your section.

Oh my, I didn't think about that. If you want me to to that, I will with a joyful heart.

Chapter 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/texanstar_04_altsheler_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Since it's 4 seconds I would say it's ok but do try to get closer to 5 in the future. If it was 3.5 I'd say it should be corrected but 4 should be pretty safe.