adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Chapter 06 is in the mw.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 5 notes:

0:09-0:10 You read only the chapter title, without saying either "Chapter 5" or "Section 5". Now, I think that this is probably fine since you've just said chapter 5 a few seconds ago, but I thought I'd mention it since most of the chapters so far did include the chapter number again just prior to the chapter title. (Only most, though. I didn't realize it before now, but your intro hasn't been entirely consistent to this point. Sometimes you say "Chapter [number]," sometimes "Section [number]," and on one section, you omitted this and went straight to the chapter title.) Whatever you choose to do here should be fine as far as I know, but you should choose the format you want and be sure to stick to it.
Pause at 0:55 "he had left the.... middle of the street"
8:53 You simply say "End of chapter." For each other section so far, you've said "End of chapter [whatever number is it]," which is what I'm used to hearing and reading, and I think is LV's preferred standard. It's helpful for the listener, I think, to hear a little reminder of the chapter number so that when the next chapter begins, they can be sure of whether or not it's playing in the right order.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

adr6090 wrote: February 13th, 2018, 3:42 pm Chapter 06 is in the mw.
I don't see chapter 6. Did you mean 5?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:oops:
I am so very apologetic of my many foul ups. Yes, on there being no chapter 6 yet. I did not realize my saying section opposed to chapter. I will stick with chapter as that is what it actually is. I think it should read chapter number, chapter title, short disclaimer and than the chapter text itself. When the chapter is finished I can than say "end of chapter number. Does all of that make sense to you? I will make a plan and stick to you, promise. The last chapter of the book is where I will say who it was read by.

mightyfelix wrote: February 15th, 2018, 1:27 pm Ch. 5 notes:

0:09-0:10 You read only the chapter title, without saying either "Chapter 5" or "Section 5". Now, I think that this is probably fine since you've just said chapter 5 a few seconds ago, but I thought I'd mention it since most of the chapters so far did include the chapter number again just prior to the chapter title. (Only most, though. I didn't realize it before now, but your intro hasn't been entirely consistent to this point. Sometimes you say "Chapter [number]," sometimes "Section [number]," and on one section, you omitted this and went straight to the chapter title.) Whatever you choose to do here should be fine as far as I know, but you should choose the format you want and be sure to stick to it.
Pause at 0:55 "he had left the.... middle of the street"
8:53 You simply say "End of chapter." For each other section so far, you've said "End of chapter [whatever number is it]," which is what I'm used to hearing and reading, and I think is LV's preferred standard. It's helpful for the listener, I think, to hear a little reminder of the chapter number so that when the next chapter begins, they can be sure of whether or not it's playing in the right order.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No apologies necessary! That's what I'm here for.

Here, for easy reference, is the format as given in the first post:
"Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Peck. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
What I would do, since you've said you don't plan to state your name again for each section, is:
"Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Peck. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Chapter [number]. [Chapter title]"
Again, the exact format is somewhat up to you, as long as the "legal stuff" is all there. It's easy for inconsistencies to creep in, since we can't all reasonably sit down and record a whole book without stopping. There will necessarily be long periods of time in between recording sessions, so of course you won't necessarily remember exactly how everything in the last recording was phrased. Don't beat yourself up too much!

Also, remember that you can go back to the first post and edit what is there to fit the format you have chosen to use. That way, your "script" will be there and easily accessible each time you record. :)

(Oh, and I don't think it will be necessary to go back and change the ones that already are PL ok, unless you want to.)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm No apologies necessary! That's what I'm here for.

Here, for easy reference, is the format as given in the first post:
"Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Peck. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
What I would do, since you've said you don't plan to state your name again for each section, is:
"Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Peck. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Chapter [number]. [Chapter title]"
Again, the exact format is somewhat up to you, as long as the "legal stuff" is all there. It's easy for inconsistencies to creep in, since we can't all reasonably sit down and record a whole book without stopping. There will necessarily be long periods of time in between recording sessions, so of course you won't necessarily remember exactly how everything in the last recording was phrased. Don't beat yourself up too much!

Also, remember that you can go back to the first post and edit what is there to fit the format you have chosen to use. That way, your "script" will be there and easily accessible each time you record. :)

(Oh, and I don't think it will be necessary to go back and change the ones that already are PL ok, unless you want to.)

Okay, I will follow the format you have suggested.
I will listen to the prior chapter intro's to ensure they are the format I will follow.
I may just leave them as they are since they are already PL ok.
I will take care of that, promise.
Thank you!!!
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I have just recording the intro and end of chapters 2,3,4 and 5.
Continuity is a good thing. It is recorded as I have stated though I have not posted them yet. I will get them posted by Monday, February 19th.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello chapters 2 & 3 are now in the mw, intro edited as said. :)
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 2 is PL ok. Chapter 3 now has a repeat: "Chapter 3: The Frogs at the Bridge. Chapter 3: The Frogs at the Bridge."
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I have edited chapters 3,4 & 5 and they are in the mw.
April
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

All sections so far PL ok! Now, back to Mabel! :thumbs:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 18th, 2018, 9:20 pm All sections so far PL ok! Now, back to Mabel! :thumbs:
Thank you & it will be back to Mabel.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
Chapter 06 is in the mw. There are a few areas that "look" red though I think those areas are red on purpose. Please do let me know if you think that I should decrease the amplitude in those areas.
Thank you,
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cool. I'll listen when I can.

About the red, you mean that when you open Audacity and look at your wave form, you have red spikes in it? If so, don't ignore them. That means that the volume in those places is high enough to cause "clipping," which can distort the sound. It's normal for volume to vary within a recording, but if it gets high enough to be clipped, you should address it. (Happens to me all the time, by the way, in moments when the story gets exciting. :) )

An easy fix is to run the compressor on the recording. I do this every time I see those red spikes in my recording. Phil Chenevert has a good video on how to use that tool. You should also be able to find a good explanation in the wiki. If you have trouble finding info on that, I can find some links for you later.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 7:51 pm Cool. I'll listen when I can.

About the red, you mean that when you open Audacity and look at your wave form, you have red spikes in it? If so, don't ignore them. That means that the volume in those places is high enough to cause "clipping," which can distort the sound. It's normal for volume to vary within a recording, but if it gets high enough to be clipped, you should address it. (Happens to me all the time, by the way, in moments when the story gets exciting. :) )

An easy fix is to run the compressor on the recording. I do this every time I see those red spikes in my recording. Phil Chenevert has a good video on how to use that tool. You should also be able to find a good explanation in the wiki. If you have trouble finding info on that, I can find some links for you later.
Thank you, I do know how to reduce the amplification though in those areas, it is appropriate for what is happening in the story. Would you like for me to take care of that? If so, I will.
April