COMPLETE: The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Thurston Peck - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, please. It's appropriate to be louder in those areas, I have no doubt, but distortion of your voice is not a good thing. The beauty of using the compressor is that it still retains the tone of excitement/anger/surprise/whatever emotion is going on, and it retains some of the volume, but not so much that your voice is clipped/distorted.

EDIT: Also, compression only affects the loudest parts of your recording and leaves the quieter bits alone, which is why it's preferable to just de-amplifying the whole thing. :thumbs:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am Yes, please. It's appropriate to be louder in those areas, I have no doubt, but distortion of your voice is not a good thing. The beauty of using the compressor is that it still retains the tone of excitement/anger/surprise/whatever emotion is going on, and it retains some of the volume, but not so much that your voice is clipped/distorted.

EDIT: Also, compression only affects the loudest parts of your recording and leaves the quieter bits alone, which is why it's preferable to just de-amplifying the whole thing. :thumbs:
Sounds good, I will deamplify the whole file.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

What I meant was that compression is usually better than de-amplifying in these cases. Sorry if I was unclear. :?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am Yes, please. It's appropriate to be louder in those areas, I have no doubt, but distortion of your voice is not a good thing. The beauty of using the compressor is that it still retains the tone of excitement/anger/surprise/whatever emotion is going on, and it retains some of the volume, but not so much that your voice is clipped/distorted.

Hello. I have used the compression tool on a past recording & was not pleased with the outcome.

I have just de-amplified the different areas of the file and thought "whew, there must be a quicker way to do this."
I have 3 different files now.

1. the original mp3
2. my deamplified file
3. the compressed file.
I will listen to 2 & 3 than make my determination.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good. As the soloist, you're the boss! I'm just sharing what has worked for me in the past. :thumbs:
melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

I'm interested in this recording. Did you know that this book was the topic of Season 3 Episode 1 of the AMC show "Better Call Saul", the Breaking Bad prequel, in which Jimmy finds the book on his brother Chuck's shelf and recollects its story. Looking forward to it being completed so I can listen!
/Melanie McCalmont
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 7:52 pm Sounds good. As the soloist, you're the boss! I'm just sharing what has worked for me in the past. :thumbs:
Thanks for your thoughts, they are appreciated.
:thumbs:
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice job on chapter 6. You make a very good goat! :lol:

I'm guessing that the red spikes we were talking about probably mostly happened during the bleats? I did notice that one or two of them seemed to have some distortion. So from a sound quality standpoint, reducing them would be nice. However, it's not required in order to meet LV standards, so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you want to deamplify, compress, or whatever else we talked about, and re-upload. In the meantime, I'll just go ahead and give it a great big PL ok! You can still upload either of your edited files whenever you choose, if you do choose to. :thumbs:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 24th, 2018, 7:05 pm Nice job on chapter 6. You make a very good goat! :lol:

I'm guessing that the red spikes we were talking about probably mostly happened during the bleats? I did notice that one or two of them seemed to have some distortion. So from a sound quality standpoint, reducing them would be nice. However, it's not required in order to meet LV standards, so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you want to deamplify, compress, or whatever else we talked about, and re-upload. In the meantime, I'll just go ahead and give it a great big PL ok! You can still upload either of your edited files whenever you choose, if you do choose to. :thumbs:
Thank you for saying that I make a good goat. Yes, the red spikes were mostly the bleats. The compressor has improved the red spikes. (Perhaps the first time that I used it, I did it incorrectly.).
There are a few areas that I feel can be better (words that I should enunciate better so they are more understandable & an area of "noise" that should not be where it is.)
I appreciate the PL though I will ensure that the audio is something that I can be pleased to call it my audio. Therefore, I will clean up the audio and than compress ( I am thinking that using a version of the chapter before compression should be good as I do not wish to compress and than compress. Yes, I am concerned that compressing the file more than once may interfere with the integrity of the file.) it than I will post it.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good. For what it's worth, I actually didn't notice any noise, at least not to a bothersome degree. And I understood everything perfectly. But if you feel there are still edits to be made, go right ahead!
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 25th, 2018, 4:43 pm Sounds good. For what it's worth, I actually didn't notice any noise, at least not to a bothersome degree. And I understood everything perfectly. But if you feel there are still edits to be made, go right ahead!
Well as I value your opinion, I will just post what I already have. Thank you.
April
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello again.
I just reposted chapter 6, please do listen to it and see what you think of the compressed version. I also did as I had mentioned and left it alone based on your statement of it sounding good overall.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Devora,
Chapter 07 is now in the mw and I see that you have not gotten around to listening to and okaying chapter 06. Thursday I may record chapter 08 & possibly chapter 09 as well....
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you. It has been a busy week here. I will listen when I can.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 28th, 2018, 4:52 pm Thank you. It has been a busy week here. I will listen when I can.
April