COMPLETE - The Absentee by Maria Edgeworth - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 3 - PL OK!

The whole gala seems impractical, but that is interesting about the dyes. I would also think the black mourning clothing had something to do with the newer mordants that were developed during the Victorian times - that would allow natural dyes, if they wanted to use them, to not run. So, no black dye on white couches anymore, but at that time, they had to come up with antimacassars to deal with hair oil - and in some ways, that probably would be harder to remove than the dye!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 4 is ready for PL.

One tiny correction to the text:
At 21:45, the Gutenberg text reads, "the first winter the country cures them"; it should be "the first winter in the country...."

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

CHAPTER 4:

Two very minor issues -

10:58 - 10:59 there is a noise, "Operated in his (noise) favor"

20:34 - there is stutter, "Mr. Berryl's s-side of the question" - very minor, not even sure if it really needs corrected, I'll leave that one up to you, but since everything else has been perfect, I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise, a wonderful reading.
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 4 has been fixed and re-uploaded.

Thank you Jennifer. I do greatly appreciate the close attention you're obviously paying.
Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

You are welcome!

Chapter 4 is PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 5 is ready for PL. (A long chapter — the longest in the book!)

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

beeber wrote: February 7th, 2018, 12:04 pm Chapter 5 is ready for PL. (A long chapter — the longest in the book!)

Bruce
I will get to this over the weekend!
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

beeber wrote: February 7th, 2018, 12:04 pm Chapter 5 is ready for PL. (A long chapter — the longest in the book!)

Bruce
Again, a wonderful job! :clap: I wonder if Lord Calambre will find Ireland to his liking and if Grace will ever get a clue.

Chapter 5 - PL OK!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 6 is ready for PL.

A couple of textual corrections were needed.

• Starting at 27:34, one of the servants is several times called "Larry" in the Gutenberg text. This is wrong: it should be "Lanty."

• At 46:30, in the Gutenberg text, Lady Dashfort cries, "Belie! Belie!" This didn't make sense, so I checked the photo version. It's supposed to be, "Bell! Bell!" (Although I have to admit, I still don't know exactly what that is supposed to mean.)

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Another wonderful chapter!

Chapter 6 - PL OK!

In answer to your question, she is saying "Bell" as a diminutive of Isabel. She's keeps pointing out different people trying to get Isabel's attention, and her attention is on the stage (well, as artifice only, I believe). :wink: At any rate, it definitely doesn't make sense as "Belie!"
beeber

Post by beeber »

jenniferrd wrote: February 15th, 2018, 6:43 pm In answer to your question, she is saying "Bell" as a diminutive of Isabel.
Ahh! Right, I get it!
:thumbs:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 7 is ready for PL.

A few little adjustments:

• At 11:39, the Gutenberg text reads, "put you to pour bows...." It should be, "put you to your bows...."

• At 15:09, the text reads, " 'find, sure, 'tis nothing at all." It should be, "And, sure, 'tis nothing at all."

• At 15:15 and 15:27 the text includes in square brackets things that were originally the author's footnotes, intended to clarify expressions that she thought her English readers might not understand. I think there's no way of handling that without interrupting the flow, and I think it's probably unnecessary for today's readers/listeners: anyone listening today is going to get the meaning easily without a footnote.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 7 - PL OK!

I can't wait for the next installment!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 8 is ready, with the following adjustments.

• Starting at 1:38, there are a couple of mentions of "Captain Benson" and "Captain Williamson." However, a few pages later, it becomes clear that Benson is actually "Major Benson." The edition used for the photo version at archive.org corrects this confusion, consistently referring to him as a "Major," so I have followed that lead.

• At 3:58, a servant is introduced as 'Mr. Alick Brady," but it's supposed to be "Ulick Brady," as we see later.

Bruce
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 8 - PL OK!