COMPLETE] Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm-dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yeah, great. Thanks, Erin!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 23 is up:

08:00

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_23_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

These chapters really convey the satiric brilliance of this woman!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I can't begin to say how much I like this book. She's absolutely spot on with some of her observations about professional women and judicial hypocrisy, too.

23 is PL OK.

One note for 22: p. 115, last sentence of chapter, 6.35-6.37:
...of the Liberty [heard Liberal] Party.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Erin!

Will fix,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 22 is up for Spot PL:

06:45

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_22_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

22, 24 and 26 are PL OK. What a woman. Her likening of Van Buren to Satan was a pleasant surprise, even though by this point nothing should surprise me!

One note for 25:

0.40-0.44, fourth line from top of p. 122:
...was cast into its teeth by Democratic, Liberty [heard Liberal] Party...

I don't know how good you are at patching from within the same section, but there are instances of 'Liberty Party' at around 2.00 and 3.20.

Erin
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Erin,

I think I uploaded an uncorrected version.

I'll work on it!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

No problem. I've done that before, though thankfully it's not my most common mistake!

This is completely unsolicited, but what I usually do is to use the final file name as a base and just add extensions to the end as appropriate: book_0_swisshelm_raw for an untouched recording, book_0_swisshelm_editedto1205 if I've had to stop partway through editing a chapter, book_0_swisshelm_textchecked if I've listened back to it while reading against the text and think the words are okay but it still needs editing. When I've done the final editing and adjusted the volume and everything, I use the actual file name I'll upload it with: book_0_swisshelm. That way the file I actually want to upload is at the top of the pile of all of the other files it took to reach that point (and sometimes I really do need to give myself a helping hand like that!).

Not trying to preach to you, just throwing some ideas out there.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Erin!

I will study this, though I usually work on one file, overwriting as I go and rarely get mixed up as there is only one. But in this case I had a problem saving and wound up having to create a second.

Thanks!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 25 is ready for SpotPl:

04:13

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_25_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson