COMPLETE] Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm-dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Pam,

Wow.

Chapters 47, 48 and 49 are PL OK. Chapter 48 has a duration of 10.06; I've taken the liberty of changing tha tin the MW. It's all fine and you don't need to do anything, but I wanted to leave a record in the project thread!

I have one note for chapter 45. Luckily it doesn't need recording, just editing!

With the file uploaded today, the 'Senator Miller' bit (originally at 3.47 in the first upload) has been left in, and the 'Stephen Miller' patch has been spliced in partway through the preceding sentence, at 3.40. Does that make sense? If it doesn't, holler and I'll type it out or put it in bold or italics or something.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Oh my gosh, I’m really getting geriatric!

Thanks!

Will fix,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

I don't think it's you! These things happen all the time. I didn't mention it at the time, but in one of the sections in Mary Prince I said her name wrong despite having said it umpteen times throughout the book. How on earth did I screw up her name? I guess the brain can't stay in overdrive all the time. (I can't believe I just said overdrive, either. When was the last time a car dealer called it that, even if that's what it was technically? Nevermind.)

I still do my best with editing to produce an acceptable final file, but I'm surprised - pleased, but surprised - that so far I haven't had a PL note for forgetting to cut out the swearing when I've really messed up!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Keep in mind that I'm your DPL and I might miss stuff.

And again, thanks!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 45 is ready for Spot Pl!

04:39

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_45_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

I hope this is going to be right,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

Are you quite sure you uploaded the correct file? I'm getting the new 'Stephen Miller' patch, but unfortunately I'm hearing it in the previous sentence, where 'for the suppression of the Rebellion' should be.

I can think of two things to try off the top of my head, and I will post any more if I think of them tonight. See if either of these sound good:

1. This thing is annoying you, so let me have a crack at editing it (I've kept all three versions of the file), and see if I can come up with anything, and you can spot PL my editing on that paragraph on page 213.

2. This thing is annoying you, so leave it alone for a couple of days and hope that giving it time to feel bad for causing you trouble makes it behave itself (works with pets, but could be worth a try with audio files).

Erin
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Very sorry. I will trouble shoot this tonight! Must be the wrong file.

Thanks!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Be cool, people.

And the offer does stand for me to edit. Sometimes when you're working on your own writing/audio/whatever you can't see the woods for the trees, and not being able to see what you feel should be right in front of your nose makes you (well, it makes me) want to scream.

This is a timely reminder about the nuts and bolts of making the actual audiobook, and how effortless it all seems once the thing is actually done. Of course, for it to seem polished and poised, it probably took a while and there were probably a bunch of PL notes. It's just that no one ever sees that when they download it.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Sorry, Erin!
I’m texting and doing you know what in L.A.

Pah—leeze edit it for me!!

I would love that!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

O my. I just realised that suggesting that I edit this sucker sounded as if I were denigrating your editing. That wasn't the intention. I meant it as a way of working on something that was bothering you so that it (hopefully) ended up being resolved and not bothering you. Please don't think I've been having a dig at your Audacity know-how.
Newgatenovelist

Fine by me. Just let me get my hands on this turkey and I'll sort it out.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Erin,

It never occurred to me!

I was just grateful!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Okay, here goes nothing. The file is up.

Just to be on the safe side, that paragraph on page 213 starts with 'As Gov. Ramsey...' and ends on '...was appointed Lieut. Col.'. It runs from 3.36 to 3.57. So... spot check me, baby!
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_45_swisshelm_128kb.mp3 (4.41)
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Ok. Will do.

Thanks,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 45 is PL OK indeed and finally!

Thank you!!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson