SOLO Malcolm, by George MacDonald-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Post Reply
aniroo
Posts: 1018
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » October 2nd, 2018, 5:57 pm

Section #24 PL OK. :thumbs: :clap:

I loved Miss Horn, with her fierce eyes and threatening nose!

aniroo
aniroo

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 2nd, 2018, 7:37 pm

Yes, Miss Horn is becoming one of my favorite characters. It's too bad she doesn't get more "screen time," so to speak.

aniroo
Posts: 1018
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » October 3rd, 2018, 4:48 pm

SEction #25 had one small repeat at about 7:06 on the phrase "with that she laughed" then a pause and a repeat of " with that she laughed"

Other wise a perfect reading. :thumbs:

aniroo
aniroo

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 3rd, 2018, 9:49 pm

aniroo wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 4:48 pm
SEction #25 had one small repeat at about 7:06 on the phrase "with that she laughed" then a pause and a repeat of " with that she laughed"

Other wise a perfect reading. :thumbs:

aniroo
Correction uploaded. Thank you!

I'm getting ready to edit chapter 28, and I'll be sharing that editing process live, for anyone who is interested. (Not that I have all the tricks of the trade, but just to share what I do.) I'll be starting in about 15 minutes. If you're up and you're interested, feel free to tune in. If not, but you still want to see it, the video will be available afterwards as well. https://www.twitch.tv/mighty_felix Or if it doesn't sound all that interesting to you, feel free to disregard! :wink:

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 4th, 2018, 8:29 pm

27 and 28 are ready. :)

aniroo
Posts: 1018
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » October 4th, 2018, 9:09 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 9:49 pm
aniroo wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 4:48 pm
SEction #25 had one small repeat at about 7:06 on the phrase "with that she laughed" then a pause and a repeat of " with that she laughed"

Other wise a perfect reading. :thumbs:

aniroo
Correction uploaded. Thank you!

I'm getting ready to edit chapter 28, and I'll be sharing that editing process live, for anyone who is interested. (Not that I have all the tricks of the trade, but just to share what I do.) I'll be starting in about 15 minutes. If you're up and you're interested, feel free to tune in. If not, but you still want to see it, the video will be available afterwards as well. https://www.twitch.tv/mighty_felix Or if it doesn't sound all that interesting to you, feel free to disregard! :wink:



Section #25 PL OK.

I'll get the other sections tomorrow!
aniroo
aniroo

aniroo
Posts: 1018
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » October 5th, 2018, 9:19 am

aniroo wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 9:09 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 9:49 pm
aniroo wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 4:48 pm
SEction #25 had one small repeat at about 7:06 on the phrase "with that she laughed" then a pause and a repeat of " with that she laughed"

Other wise a perfect reading. :thumbs:

aniroo
Correction uploaded. Thank you!

I'm getting ready to edit chapter 28, and I'll be sharing that editing process live, for anyone who is interested. (Not that I have all the tricks of the trade, but just to share what I do.) I'll be starting in about 15 minutes. If you're up and you're interested, feel free to tune in. If not, but you still want to see it, the video will be available afterwards as well. https://www.twitch.tv/mighty_felix Or if it doesn't sound all that interesting to you, feel free to disregard! :wink:



Section #25 PL OK.

I'll get the other sections tomorrow!
aniroo


I tried that link you posted but I couldn't get it to work. I think we might be in different time zones. I'm in Mountain Time.

Anyway



Sections 26, 27, 28 are all PL OK :thumbs: :clap: :clap:

aniroo
aniroo

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 5th, 2018, 10:14 am

The video is now up for anyone to watch, so time zone won't make a difference. But I'm not sure if it'll play from the main page, actually. It will play from the "Videos" tab, I know. I'm still figuring out Twitch.

Also, because I'm still figuring it out, the sound was messed up in that one. :roll: You could hear my voice as I'm talking about my editing, but you couldn't hear anything from Audacity. The recording itself didn't come through. So you may not want to bother. I've figured out what I did wrong, though, so that shouldn't happen again. Also, for some reason, about 20 minutes in, my mic cut out too. So the next 30 minutes is just silence. Sigh. So that was a fail. But I'll do another one sooner or later, probably, so I'll let you know when I do, if you're interested.

It may be awhile before I have another chapter ready for you. Thank you so much for getting my PLs caught up!

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 5th, 2018, 11:53 am

Incidentally (you know, now that I'm almost halfway through), I think I'd like to use a different source for my text. I've had a lot of issues with the Gutenberg text. It's full of errors, actually, and I've been basically patching them up with context clues. I'd like to go through and make a list of them, to ask Gutenberg to correct them, but that would take awhile. In the meantime, I've found a good scan at archive, but of course, I'd want to be sure that the version I've read agrees with it. It seems to, pretty well. But I'm wondering whether I should listen to my own files while following along? That would take awhile, too, but I just really don't want to use this Gutenberg text anymore.

This was the last straw: "It is one thing to know from whom we come, and another to know from Whom we come." That's what Gutenberg has in chapter 31. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. When I found the archive scan to compare it, I found this: "It is one thing to know from whom we come, and another to know Him from Whom we come." And actually, now that I'm poking around a little more, this is only in the 1875 copy. The 1896 also has that error, so that's probably what Gutenberg used. But they have plenty more errors besides that. Ugh. I don't know. Please advise?

Here is the archive version I'd like to switch to, if I can:

Vol. I: https://archive.org/details/malcolm01macd
Vol. II: https://archive.org/details/malcolm02macd
Vol. III: https://archive.org/details/malcolm03macd

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 15185
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 5th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Devorah,

1879 is marked as the 5th edition. The legal text on the Gutenberg file seems to indicate they were using the 10th edition.

I have no problem if you want to switch to the Archive version - it is also clearly PD.

MaryAnn

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 5th, 2018, 3:47 pm

So would it be a problem if the chapters that are already complete are 10th edition, and the remaining ones are 5th? If it doesn't matter, then that's fine. Even if so, I might go back and correct a few of the earlier files, because now that I'm comparing, I'm finding even more errors. The weirdest thing is that, nowhere in the Gutenberg version is there a single instance of the contraction "I'm," and there should be. It's just gone. It's like somebody went through and deleted them all. :?

EDIT: Actually, first edition, I believe. It is 1875, not 79.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 15185
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 6th, 2018, 6:25 am

This looks like a very early PG project, and I think they were doing things a bit differently then than they do today. Today DP is all about exactly matching the text, with three rounds of proofing, so I doubt if the issues would slip through today.

I'm happy if you go back and make changes. My thought is to note in the project file both of the sources you used, which are both PD, so there will be a record. You have a good reason for switching sources in the middle, and you've been correcting the PG text throughout anyway.

MaryAnn

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 6th, 2018, 7:18 am

Thanks, MaryAnn! You're the best!

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 15185
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 13th, 2018, 6:40 am

Note to self: e-text links added to catalog page
MaryAnn

mightyfelix
Posts: 4148
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 27th, 2018, 9:18 pm

I'm going to go through my files already submitted and make sure they agree with the text of the new source I'm using. I think this will be worth the extra time and effort. I've already found at least one spot where I had to guess at the meaning of something where there was a typo, and I got it wrong.

So, I'm reuploading chapter 1, with corrections at the following locations.

0:22-0:30
1:14-1:18
1:54
3:19-3:23
4:07-4:09
4:31-4:36
5:05-5:10

Post Reply