[COMPLETE] Purity of Heart by William Booth - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Purity of Heart by William Booth (1829 - 1912).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/purity-of-heart-by-william-booth/
Purity of Heart, first published in 1902, was written by William Booth, who co-founded The Salvation Army with his wife Catherine in 1865. The chapters of this book were originally open letters Booth wrote and circulated throughout The Salvation Army to be read aloud as a ten-week sermon series on the subject of purity of heart. In the first letter, Booth explains what he means by the phrase "purity of heart", and the subsequent sermons build on this theme. Each letter focuses on a different aspect of holiness, such as reasons that a pure heart is desirable, the way to become holy, and examples of people whose hearts have been purified. In accordance with their initial purpose, the letters have a structure that is typical of Salvationist preaching; many of the letters begin with a summary of the previous week's message, include frequent appeals to quoted hymn lyrics throughout, and conclude with an altar call. Although the letters together form what could be considered a Salvationist theology of holiness, this book is less a theological treatise than an impassioned call to holiness by a vibrant preacher who eagerly wishes to cast aside any obstacles his hearers may encounter in seeking it, whether those obstacles be misunderstandings, false beliefs, reasoned objections, or insufficient desire. ( David Purdy)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/purityofheartlet00boot
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Purity of Heart. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Purity of Heart, by William Booth. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Purity of Heart by William Booth. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Purity of Heart, by William Booth. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename purityofheart_##_booth_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. purityofheart_01_booth_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Salvationist on November 10th, 2017, 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I initially proposed this project in early 2016 and the project launched soon after. Before I could submit any recordings, however, I suddenly and unexpectedly moved to a different city where I wasn't able to do any recording. The project was therefore discontinued and removed from the forum. Now that I am able to record again, I thought that I would propose the project afresh.

I see now that I could have requested to have the old project reinstated, but perhaps it is best that I simply proposed the project again. I do not recall who signed on as the MC and DPL last time, and I have no idea whether or not they are available to fill these roles more than a year after they originally agreed to do so. If anyone has access to the initial project proposal, I would be grateful to have a copy of the summary I originally wrote so I can see if there are any ideas there that I can use to bolster the new summary I have written.

I have proposed to complete this project by the end of December. My hope is to do the majority of the recording, if not all of it, between November 19th and December 5th, as I anticipate enjoying near-ideal recording conditions throughout that time.
Salvationist

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The database entry for your previous project was cleared out for reuse, so there's no sense resurrecting that project thread. However, here's your previous summary:
This book, first published in 1902, brings together ten letters written by William Booth, founder and first General of The Salvation Army. Booth initially wrote these letters with the intention that they be read aloud as a ten-week sermon series on the subject of purity of heart. Each letter focuses on a different aspect of holiness, such as reasons that a pure heart is desirable, the way to become holy, and examples of people whose hearts have been purified. In accordance with their initial purpose, the letters have many of the qualities typical of Salvation Army sermons; many of the letters begin with a summary of the previous week's message, include frequent appeals to quoted hymn lyrics throughout, and conclude with an altar call. Although the letters together form what could be considered a Salvationist theology of holiness, this book is less a theological treatise than an impassioned call to holiness by a vibrant preacher who eagerly wishes to cast aside any obstacles his hearers may encounter in seeking it, whether those obstacles be misunderstandings, false beliefs, reasoned objections, or insufficient desire. ( David Purdy)
Your previous MC might come back. If not, I'll check on this later this evening and perhaps MC it myself. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Thanks for providing me with the text of my previous summary, Tricia! I have integrated portions of it into my new summary, and I think it is now considerably improved.

I also owe you thanks for your New Project Template Generator video on YouTube. I found it quite helpful. :D
Salvationist

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Good to hear! 8-)

I might as well MC this for you. :lol: Be back in a bit with the MW...

EDIT: OK, you're all set. Let me know if you need help getting into the MW, but most of your questions will probably be answered here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It looks like you've created multiple helpful LibriVox videos, Tricia! I just watched the one about the section compiler, and I successfully added the chapter titles to the magic window. Thank you for signing on as my MC!
Salvationist

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looks good!

Yeah, I did the ones for the workflow system, and Phil did a bunch for the forum, Audacity, etc. :)

We'll hang out here a little bit to see if we snag a DPL.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I offer myself as DPL?
I may not totally keep up with your recording schedule because that is a really busy time frame for me, but I'd love to listen to this!
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The soloist has set a target completion date of December 31. Do you think you'd be able to listen to all sections before then?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'll make it happen! This is not a massive tome, so it will be quite manageable.
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay! Assuming Salvationist is OK with it, I'm putting you in as DPL. :)

Moving to Going Solo...
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Thank you very much for signing on as DPL, Larry! I'm excited to start recording this.
Salvationist

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

With a duration of 01:06, here's the preface: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/purityofheart_00_booth_128kb.mp3
Salvationist

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Salvationist wrote:With a duration of 01:06, here's the preface: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/purityofheart_00_booth_128kb.mp3
Got it.
For a solo, you should put the link above in the MW, the length in the notes field and then mark it Ready for PL. You don't need to post the link here in the forum, necessarily, but at least post a note to say that there is a section ready for PL so it will bump this thread up in my bookmark list.

I've taken the liberty of putting this in the MW and marking it PL OK.
This will be a great pleasure to listen to, as you read so well, and I'm sure I'll gain some helpful insights. For as Jesus himself said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."
~ Larry
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Larry! I have recorded Chapter 1 and have followed your instructions with respect to adding it to the MW. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing differently.
Salvationist