[COMPLETE][GROUP/MYSTERY] The Goddess by Richard Marsh - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The Goddess: A Demon by Richard Marsh (1857 - 1915).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/goddess-a-demon-by-richard-marsh/
  • After a night of drinking and gambling, John Ferguson has a terrifying dream of his neighbor being violently torn to shreds by an unknown attacker. When he wakes up, he sees a strange and bloodied woman climbing through his window, suffering from amnesia. These strange occurrences are brought to a chilling climax when, the next day, Ferguson learns that his dream came true, and his neighbor was indeed brutally murdered during the night! With suspicion mounting against the mysterious woman, Ferguson sets out to uncover her true identity and find the vicious killer in the process.<br><br>Originally serialized in the <i>Manchester Weekly Times</i> and <i>Salford Weekly News</i> in twelve installments, <i>The Goddess</i> is another vivid example of Richard Marsh's gripping Gothic style, combining elements of crime, romance, and the supernatural while commenting explicitly on many issues of its time, including imperialism, the <i>fin de siècle</i>, and the New Woman. (Tomas Peter)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/goddessademon00marsgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================

The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of The Goddess: A Demon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Goddess: A Demon, by Richard Marsh. [Chapter ## / Title]"

END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter ##]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Goddess: A Demon, by Richard Marsh. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Example filename goddess_##_marsh_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. goddess_01_marsh_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on January 26th, 2021, 12:28 am, edited 23 times in total.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Our wonderful Sonia has agreed to both MC and DPL this. :9:

My first solo is now a go! :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm here. :)

Ok, let me see if I can do this right...give me a bit of time. I'm probably more nervous than you now LOL

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

YES ! It seems to have worked. :)

you are free to fill out the MW with chapter titles.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you for setting it up, Sonia! :D MW is ready and looking good. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yep indeed, now you only need to record :mrgreen:

ok, and now I can move us over to Going Solo...

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Um, so, I very much doubt I can record this before Halloween, but I figured I could still get a good way's in. The first chapter is up, and let's see where it goes from there...
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

YAY ! finally I get to listen to this book. :9: And a brilliantly hooking start it is. What a cliffhanger at the end ! And although Lawrence was a sleaze, the description of his ordeal was kinda gruesome. :? I can well imagine this being made into a horror movie and the what this specific scene would look like. *shudders*

The chapter is wonderfully read, Tomas. It is perfect to be read by a male voice as the protagonist is a man. And your practice in our drama forum pays off, since the direct speeches are performed like dramatic readings. :thumbs: Highly enjoyable.

Chapter 1: PL ok. Flawless reading.

Looking forward to the next. :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I had some time to record Chapter 2 tonight. The scenario would make such a great Halloween short story. :9: Hope it gives you the spooks, Sonia, hehe.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cool ! The chapter is extremely scary in a way, simply because of the fact that the woman is so utterly disturbed. I think this is more than mere sleep-walking, she is either amnesiac or brain-washed. Or a good liar ;) let's not discard that possibility. (I know I'm a suspicious bastard :lol: )

Textually all perfect ! And engagingly read too. Checker only flags the background noise and I must admit, it disturbed me quite a bit too. :? I passed two rounds of soft noise-cleaning before I continued listening to the rest of the story, because the sound was cleaner then.

Here are my settings, maybe you can compare them with yours:

Noise reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing: 0

Two rounds like that, cleaned it up fine. checker flagged your original with 46.9 dB and my end-result with 26.8.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks for the advice, Sonia. I've made further adjustments to my settings for Chapter 3 (now in the MW); I think the background noise has been minimized to an adequate extent. If not, let me know and I can try again. :?

My overactive fan is always at fault. This laptop is rather old, and I'm going to try and buy a new one soon. Then I think I won't have to bother with much noise cleaning. Just a little bit longer...
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:26 pm Thanks for the advice, Sonia. I've made further adjustments to my settings for Chapter 3 (now in the MW); I think the background noise has been minimized to an adequate extent. If not, let me know and I can try again. :?
maybe my ears are over-sensitive for that noise. I tried one round more of noise-cleaning and it sounded better :)

the rest is perfectly PL ok. As always, wonderfully read in character. :thumbs: Mrs Peddar is an original :lol: I hope she will have a bigger role.

Oh and of course this brother of Lawrence and the other guy, they look might suspicious already. We won't have heard the last of them I suspect.
My overactive fan is always at fault. This laptop is rather old
yes it could be the fan. Are you always keeping it plugged into the electricity socket ? Because that might be the reason for the noise. If you have the possibility to make it run on internal battery, try unplugging it for your recording sessions. I always do that with mine, and the noise of the fan is greatly reduced.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I'm actually in a bad predicament. :oops: My laptop battery doesn't hold its charge for long and needs replacement. But there's no point in doing that if I'm going to buy a new laptop soon. So I have no choice but to leave it plugged in, and because of that I have to contend with the fan. No one wins here until that new laptop LOL.

I think I have found decent enough settings that will work with two rounds of cleaning. I'm trying to avoid sounding like a tin can as much as possible. Your favoured settings, unfortunately, gave off that sound when I used them, so I had to find others. My preference is maybe a hint of background noise, but a normal sounding audio, than complete silence, but with an added echo or distortion. I find that throws me off, and I wouldn't want to listen to it. And if I don't want to listen to it, it will be the same thing for many others.

Anyway, I doubt I'll finish this before the new laptop, so my hope is that things will get better by the midpoint or so.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: October 30th, 2018, 11:10 amI'm actually in a bad predicament. :oops: My laptop battery doesn't hold its charge for long and needs replacement. But there's no point in doing that if I'm going to buy a new laptop soon. So I have no choice but to leave it plugged in, and because of that I have to contend with the fan.
ah yes that is a problem. It's the fan that will cause the noise. I fear I'm headed there too...my battery is also not fully charging anymore. But so far I can record for over an hour still before I need to plug it in again. I am considering buying a new battery rather than a new laptop though. I am too afraid of the new Windows :lol: and I want to keep my old version
I'm trying to avoid sounding like a tin can as much as possible. Your favoured settings, unfortunately, gave off that sound when I used them, so I had to find others.
seriously, you think that is tinny ? I cleaned your file before listening to it, using my settings and I thought the sound was absolutely ok. But I guess my ears are not the best anymore. :?

I can clean your file for myself to listen but we keep your original version in the MW if you wish :)
I find that throws me off, and I wouldn't want to listen to it. And if I don't want to listen to it, it will be the same thing for many others.
so do you think that my audios are disagreeable to listen to ? Because I am using my settings (obviously). :| I seriously don't hear any tinny sound in my recordings.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: October 30th, 2018, 11:45 am I can clean your file for myself to listen but we keep your original version in the MW if you wish :)
I applied one more round of cleaning and I think I like it as is. I will do two rounds for the next chapter and make sure the background noise is barely perceptible.
so do you think that my audios are disagreeable to listen to ? Because I am using my settings (obviously). :| I seriously don't hear any tinny sound in my recordings.
I don't hear it, either! I think they work for you because your recording environment is better. I read that optimal settings differ from person to person, depending on where they record and how much noise they have to deal with. Who knows, maybe when I don't have a fan blowing beside me, your settings will work just fine for me? :P
Tomas Peter