COMPLETE [Solo] Dr. Thorne by Anthony Trollope - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Dr Thorne by Anthony Trollope (24 - 6).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/doctor-thorne-by-anthony-trollope-2/
This is the third book in The Chronicles of Barsetshire , the first two being The Warden and Barchester Towers; however, although some characters from the first two books are referred to, there is no need to read/ listen to them first to enjoy Dr Thorne.

It is mainly concerned with the romantic problems of Mary Thorne, niece of Doctor Thomas Thorne (a member of a junior branch of the family of Mr Wilfred Thorne, who appeared in Barchester Towers), and Frank Gresham, the only son of the local squire, although Trollope as the omniscient narrator assures the reader at the beginning that the hero is really the doctor.

Themes of the book are the social pain and exclusion caused by illegitimacy, the nefarious effects of the demon drink and the difficulties of romantic attachments outside one's social class. The novel also gives a vivid picture of electioneering and all the barely legal shenanigans that accompany the event. Most of the action takes place in a village of Barsetshire and a country house not far off.When their father dies, Doctor Thomas Thorne and his younger, ne'er-do-well brother Henry are left to fend for themselves. Doctor Thorne begins to establish a medical practice, while Henry seduces Mary Scatcherd, the sister of stonemason Roger Scatcherd. When Scatcherd finds out that Mary has become pregnant, he seeks out Henry and kills him in a fight.

While her brother is in prison, Mary gives birth to a girl. A former suitor offers to marry her and emigrate to the United States to start a new life but refuses to take the baby. Doctor Thorne persuades her to accept the generous offer, promising to raise his niece. He names her Mary Thorne but wishing neither to have her illegitimacy made public nor to have her associate with the uncouth Roger Scatcherd, he keeps her birth secret. He tells Scatcherd that the baby had died.

After his release, Scatcherd rises quickly in the world as a railway project undertaker. In time, his skills make him extremely rich. When he completes a seemingly-impossible important project on time, he is made a baronet for his efforts. Throughout his career, he entrusts his financial affairs to Doctor Thorne. When Thorne becomes the family doctor to the Greshams, he persuades Scatcherd to lend ever growing sums to the head of the family, the local squire, who has troubles managing his finances. Eventually, much of the Gresham estate is put up as collateral.

Now read on . . . (Summary from Wikipedia)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3166/3166.txt 1
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Dr Thorne. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Dr Thorne, by Anthony Trollope. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Dr Thorne by Anthony Trollope. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Dr Thorne, by Anthony Trollope. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename drthorne_##_trollope_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. drthorne_01_trollope_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

I know I am jumping the gun, however, this sounds too good to pass up.

May I DPL? :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MC checking in Nick!

Helen, I believe that Arlene is already committed to DPL. Nick and Arlene worked together on the previous volume, which is now in the catalog here: https://librivox.org/barchester-towers-2-by-anthony-trollope/

MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

TY for letting me know, I will just have to wait to hear the finished project. :thumbs:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy .. .
MaryAnn
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Helen, be sure to enjoy the first two volumes of this set that Nick has recorded -- The Warden and Barchester Towers. There are several hilarious scenes, particularly in that second one. They are truly "too good to pass up."
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

We're off at last.
Sorry about the delay, but we had our fake Christmas last weekend!

Here is Chapter 1 :
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_01_trollope.mp3 46:41.3

Hope all is well with you

Regards

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Chapter 2 now uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_02_trollope.mp3 : 32:23.0

Hope you enjoy

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Hope you all had a wonderful time together. It's hard to think about the holidays coming so soon. I'm only just beginning to admit that summer is behind us. It was lovely to get back from San Francisco and find these two chapters waiting for me. Thanks you again! I've marked them PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Glad you enjoyed.

Hope San Francisco was pleasant.

Here is Chapter 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_03_trollope.mp3 41:55.5
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 3 was wonderful, as usual.

San Francisco was a little less so. I love the Dreamforce conference, and always come home so full of ideas that there are never enough days to implement them. But 180,000 extra people are too many for downtown San Francisco, and for me. Lines, lines, everywhere! Or is it queues, queues, everywhere? I wish they would limit attendance to 120,000 or so. That's still a very large conference, but a little more comfortable to attend.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene,

Here is Chapter 4 - a bit longer than some and it took me a bit longer to edit - but I found lots to enjoy in it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_04_trollope.mp3 53:41

I cannot conceive of a conference with 120,000 delegates - let alone 180,000. That is twice as large as the capacity of Wembley stadium, the largest venue in Britain (according to Wikipedia!).
Do you everall get together?

I'm not surprised the queues - or lines - were horrendous! San Francisco was lovely when we were there, but it wasn't crowded at the time - I am just awe-struck.

Hope you enjoy the chapter

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

180,000 people is more than a little overwhelming. But it's such a good conference that I'll probably brave it again next year or the year after.

Chapter 4 was a lot of fun. I never get tired of Mr. Trollope's wit. There is one paragraph with a couple of repeats -- at 33:08 "In confessing that Mr. Moffat", and at 33:31 "he was not".
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Sorry about that - I had quite a lot of editing to do for that bit and I obviously missed those two bits when I was deleting stuff.

I have uploaded the revised version.

I'm glad the conference was worth it. I had a quick look on their web-site - but it didn't mean anything to me!

All the best

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 5 - sorry I couldn't get it finished in time for the weekend.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_05_trollope.mp3 27:48

Enjoy.

Nick