SOLO - Six lectures on literature by C.H. Herford-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 5th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Thank you, Erin! The pronunciation links are the best way for me. I need to work on my Ancient Greek!

It seems like he goes for the big hitters and likes to make them even bigger than they were! I don't know how important Herford was as a literary critic - I guess he was among those who working on establishing the canon of English literature, though I thought that happened in the mid to late 19th century.
Newgatenovelist wrote: I just realised none of my solos, past or projected for the next year, are of the poets he mentioned. I don't know if he'd consider some of these authors second rate or if they're even further down the ladder than that!

Erin

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 6th, 2017, 6:03 am

eggs4ears wrote:Thank you, Erin! The pronunciation links are the best way for me. I need to work on my Ancient Greek!

It seems like he goes for the big hitters and likes to make them even bigger than they were! I don't know how important Herford was as a literary critic - I guess he was among those who working on establishing the canon of English literature, though I thought that happened in the mid to late 19th century.
I think he's playing it safe even by the standards of his time. As for how the (English) English literature canon has developed, I think it's more fluid than most people would think. You're right about it having its roots in the nineteenth century, but maybe one day if I've had too much to drink I'll tell you all about the rising and falling fortunes of some of my favourite writers.

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 6th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Lectures 1 and 5 corrected and re-uploaded!

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 6th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Lectures 1 and 5 are PL OK!