[COMPLETE] Six lectures on literature by C.H. Herford-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Absolutely. And it must have been very hard to carry on as normal while your family and friends were dying on the battlefield. Maybe literature was his consolation?

For cover ideas, if you are stuck, how about this? https://archive.org/details/owenscollegemanc00hartuoft/page/n60

I like the staircase but there are others that might work. Owen's College was the Victoria University of Manchester. The book is from 1900 and Herford is not mentioned because he was appointed in 1901.
annise wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 4:21 am Sort of off topic, but in hunting for cover ideas I came across this http://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/news/display/?id=15811. Not for him in particular but one can't help wondering how much all the 18-24 year olds killed in WWI could have contributed if they hadn't been killed or permanently damaged.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lectures_04_herford.mp3 - 63:39

The Poetry of Lucretius ready for PL! Very interesting - I should listen to our recording of the Nature of Things.

There are sentences in this one up to a minute in length. If you feel that any of them don't make sense, please let me know and I'll have another go!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I think you're right, and many of the classically educated found solace in Roman or Greek authors when their own world was at war.

Thank you for recording this. I have a paper in which Lucretius features, but it suffered the all too common fate of being shoved in a desk drawer 'to be revised and submitted later'. We all know how those projects turn out! I won't do it in the immediate future, but it's probably worth blowing the dust off it and seeing if I can knock it into shape and get it sent off. And at that point, I will listen to this lecture again!

Three notes for lecture 4:

32.55-32.57, mid-page p. 16
...the wrath of a prophet [heard poet]…

39.56-40.12, second block quotation, second paragraph, last sentence
repetition/alternate take
...nor sees that […] he is dead...

1.03.14-1.03.17, p. 26, last sentence
...whom he so deeply influenced [heard interviewed]...
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

I listened to this over tea tonight and it's got me in the mood to PL your version! In Our Time were discussing Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Simon Armitage was one of the guests.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001kr8
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lectures_03_herford.mp3 - 96:38

Is there a poetic view of the world? Ready for PL! It's enormous and I suppose I will have to split it and adjust the section numbers, but let's leave it as it is for the moment. (Actually, I'd rather keep it one piece, but I think we are not supposed to go over 80 minutes - is that still the case?).

Thanks for the link to the Gawain piece - I listened to half the other day and I am hoping it is still there for the rest!

My last post before Xmas, so a Merry Christmas to both of you! The sun has come out here after two weeks of rain and storms - I hope you are somewhere warm, Erin!

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Think it is too long - it is meant to fit on a normal CD for people who need the format, it's a small portion but important, it's often the elderly, or people with cd players in their cars

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Anne, No worries, I'll split it in two and call them Lecture 3 part 1 and part 2, so I don't have to change the numbering on the other sections. Can I use 3a and 3b in the file names, or should I renumber them all from 1 through to 7?

Erin, Are you okay to PL the file as it is and I will split the file when I do corrections? I am away from the mic I used for this one until after new year.
Newgatenovelist

No problem. I'll PL the file as uploaded and check the new intro and outro later. That's actually what I assumed I'd do, so great minds think alike! It will take me a little bit of time to listen though, as I'm having Christmas and Boxing Day off!

I hope your weather is good, too. The weather isn't as cold in this hemisphere as it ought to be, but I'm a wuss so I'm buried under a thick layer of wool!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

I'm posting to say I've not forgotten about this, but I've put it off a few days as you said you wouldn't be able to rerecord right away. I'm still here!

There have been a couple of seasonal offerings on radio you might like. There's a 90-minute dramatization of Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, and it has Diana Rigg and Derek Jacobi:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001rjt

And five M. R. James stories have been adapted for 15-minute Drama, the first of which is 'The Mezzotint':
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mmw
'Casting the Runes' is always creepy, and more so as I'm currently writing a book review!

Have a good new year!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

PL notes for section 3:

40.15, p. 13, first line of indented quotation, extra word
...is [the] lord of all the world...

1.02.33-1.02.35, last line p. 20
...and the melancholy of decline [heard design]…

1.12.45-1.12.46, second quote (Paradiso), repetition/false start
...one part more [and in] and in another less.'

1.18.02-1.18.05, first line p. 26
...a famous retort [heard resort] of his Philine…

In case it helps you to break the lecture into vaguely equal parts - section III commences at 41.16 (p. 14). Section IV is a bit longer and doesn't start until p. 21, 1.04.26. That is, of course, assuming you have any interest it splitting it at the end/beginning of a demarcated section!

I was happy he gave a shout out to A.E., who remains under-read. But just fancy being able to lecture for an hour and a half...
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! I'll get these done tonight and then this will be finished. I was planning to break at the end of Section IV - he doesn't really have natural breaks, mid-section!

Gawain is set up on the launch pad, with the first section ready to upload. I have also made a start on Roots of the Mountains and I'll set that up as well. Looking forward to the radio links you sent!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne, Can you advise how I should do the numbering of the files, if I am splitting Section 3 into two parts? I thought of _03a_ and _03b_. Or should I renumber all the files from _01_ to _07 and reupload?
annise wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 4:53 am Think it is too long - it is meant to fit on a normal CD for people who need the format, it's a small portion but important, it's often the elderly, or people with cd players in their cars

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've made the alterations added a section after section 3 and renumbered the existing 4, 5 and 6 to 5,6 and 7 in the MW and in my folder;
So
you will need to renumber the file with the PL notes when you upload it - this is very important to prevent any mix up of files
If you are reading the lecture number in the intros then you'll just need to say part 1 and part 2 when you split the file.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks Anne, that's clear!

Section 5 is now ready for spot PL (PL notes for Section 4). Sections 3 & 4 will follow in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, I am off to set up the Roots of the Mountains
Newgatenovelist

Phew! Section 5, Lucretius, is spot PL OK. I just spot checked the intros and outros on 1, 2, 6 and 7 are those are okay, too. I'm not casting aspersions, I just know how many times I've clicked the wrong thing and had to go back and redo things all from a simple little mistake!
Off LV 25-28 March.