SOLO - Six lectures on literature by C.H. Herford-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » December 5th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Thank you, Erin! The pronunciation links are the best way for me. I need to work on my Ancient Greek!

It seems like he goes for the big hitters and likes to make them even bigger than they were! I don't know how important Herford was as a literary critic - I guess he was among those who working on establishing the canon of English literature, though I thought that happened in the mid to late 19th century.
Newgatenovelist wrote: I just realised none of my solos, past or projected for the next year, are of the poets he mentioned. I don't know if he'd consider some of these authors second rate or if they're even further down the ladder than that!

Erin

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 6th, 2017, 6:03 am

eggs4ears wrote:Thank you, Erin! The pronunciation links are the best way for me. I need to work on my Ancient Greek!

It seems like he goes for the big hitters and likes to make them even bigger than they were! I don't know how important Herford was as a literary critic - I guess he was among those who working on establishing the canon of English literature, though I thought that happened in the mid to late 19th century.
I think he's playing it safe even by the standards of his time. As for how the (English) English literature canon has developed, I think it's more fluid than most people would think. You're right about it having its roots in the nineteenth century, but maybe one day if I've had too much to drink I'll tell you all about the rising and falling fortunes of some of my favourite writers.

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » December 6th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Lectures 1 and 5 corrected and re-uploaded!

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 6th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Lectures 1 and 5 are PL OK!

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 2nd, 2018, 3:13 pm

Lecture 2 uploaded and Ready for PL. To be listened to when you fill a need to top up your Englishness!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lectures_02_herford.mp3 - 53:53
Last edited by eggs4ears on September 3rd, 2018, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » September 3rd, 2018, 1:09 am

Your timing is perfect! I've been speaking predominantly English all morning, but I definitely do need a boost of Englishness!

I think there's a bit of a hiccup with the file name because it's showing as section 01. Could you please upload secitons 01 and 02 just to be sure that one didn't get overwritten?

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 3rd, 2018, 1:38 am

My mistake and fixed now. The file was fine, but I cut and pasted the wrong link to it.
Newgatenovelist wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 1:09 am
I think there's a bit of a hiccup with the file name because it's showing as section 01. Could you please upload secitons 01 and 02 just to be sure that one didn't get overwritten?

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 3rd, 2018, 3:06 am

Speaking of English, I have been planning for a while to read Gawain and the Green Knight in Middle English. Would you be able to PL?

https://archive.org/details/syrgawaynecoll6100madduoft

We have a couple of translations in the catalogue, but not the original. I don't know Middle English myself but it would be fun to try. I have an edition by Tolkien (not PD) which has a pronunciation guide. The good thing about Gawain is that it is pretty much phonetic (unlike Chaucer, which is partly modern).

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » September 3rd, 2018, 10:07 am

eggs4ears wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 3:06 am
Speaking of English, I have been planning for a while to read Gawain and the Green Knight in Middle English. Would you be able to PL?

https://archive.org/details/syrgawaynecoll6100madduoft

We have a couple of translations in the catalogue, but not the original. I don't know Middle English myself but it would be fun to try. I have an edition by Tolkien (not PD) which has a pronunciation guide. The good thing about Gawain is that it is pretty much phonetic (unlike Chaucer, which is partly modern).
Dude, if you don't know ME but you're willing to have a crack at it, I'm game. Actually, I did learn it, though I'm pretty rusty from not using it on a daily basis! I think those abbreviations will be take more getting used to than the actual language, truth be told. Someday if we ever meet and I'm drunk I'll recite the first bit of the Canterbury Tales for you.

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » September 8th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Two notes for section 02, both pronunciations of names that sound rather different to how they look on the page!

50.05-50.08, third and fourth lines p. 14
...in the verse of Yeats, in the prose of Synge...
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/yeats,_william_butler
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/synge,_j._m.

Very interesting, and I like his rousing defence of the field, but my were some of his choices conservative ones.

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » September 9th, 2018, 12:31 am

Something you might enjoy - 45 minutes of Neil Gaiman, How the Marquis Got His Coat Back, picking on the world of Neverwhere. It's up for another 24 days, and the cast is outstanding!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080xppt

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 9th, 2018, 3:03 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lectures_02_herford.mp3 - Corrected and reuploaded

Yeats I knew, but Synge I didn't (though he now has a hard 'g', rather than a nasal, which is how I would say 'sing'. Glad to learn these things! I am surprised that we don't have The Playboy of the Western World in the catalogue.

Yes, he is certainly conservative. I guess these is the period of building the patriotic canon of English Studies!

Newgatenovelist wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Two notes for section 02, both pronunciations of names that sound rather different to how they look on the page!

50.05-50.08, third and fourth lines p. 14
...in the verse of Yeats, in the prose of Synge...
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/yeats,_william_butler
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/synge,_j._m.

Very interesting, and I like his rousing defence of the field, but my were some of his choices conservative ones.

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 9th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Excellent! Let's have a go at it (probably when Dyfed is finished). I can send you Tolkein's pronunciation guide. His version also has all the words in full, so is a guide on that too.
Newgatenovelist wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 10:07 am
eggs4ears wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 3:06 am
Speaking of English, I have been planning for a while to read Gawain and the Green Knight in Middle English. Would you be able to PL?

https://archive.org/details/syrgawaynecoll6100madduoft

We have a couple of translations in the catalogue, but not the original. I don't know Middle English myself but it would be fun to try. I have an edition by Tolkien (not PD) which has a pronunciation guide. The good thing about Gawain is that it is pretty much phonetic (unlike Chaucer, which is partly modern).
Dude, if you don't know ME but you're willing to have a crack at it, I'm game. Actually, I did learn it, though I'm pretty rusty from not using it on a daily basis! I think those abbreviations will be take more getting used to than the actual language, truth be told. Someday if we ever meet and I'm drunk I'll recite the first bit of the Canterbury Tales for you.

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 2418
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » September 9th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Part 2 is PL OK!

I think perhaps some writers have less in audio than they might because of the language. Walter Scott seems to suffer from the same problem, if problem it is.

I'm looking forward to Gawain!

eggs4ears
Posts: 1183
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 9:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by eggs4ears » September 11th, 2018, 2:56 am

That's strange! There was a question here earlier today. I have just come back to answer it and it has gone!

Post Reply