[COMPLETE] Shadows in Zamboula - Robert Howard - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Shadows in Zamboula by Robert E. Howard (1906 - 1936).

This project is in our catalog at https://librivox.org/shadows-in-zamboula-version-2-by-robert-e-howard/

In the dark streets of Zamboula, huge ghouls stalk the night seeking victims for their ghastly rites and feasts. Conan is passing through this city and is almost a victim but escapes, only to rust to the aid of a beautiful, voluptuous maiden still in their horrible talons. Swords flash, thews are strained and the mighty Conan almost meets his match in the temple of the monkey god. Will he escape? Will he get the girl? Listen and marvel! Excellent story, well told as always by Howard. ( phil chenevert)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42196
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Shadows in Zamboula. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Shadows in Zamboula, by Robert E. Howard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Shadows in Zamboula by Robert E. Howard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Shadows in Zamboula, by Robert E. Howard. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename shadowsinzamboula_##_howard.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. shadowsinzamboula_01_howard.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Robert E. Howard
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Shadows in Zamboula

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

(and Blood Justice too)
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Part 1 is up. :shock:
RepublicOfVermont

A few of the messages I took away from part one:
That "you may sleep soundly tonight..." is unnecessary to be told if it be true.
Always sleep with your broad sword at the ready.
Pay no mind to those who have not the capacity to understand you as human.
Walls built to keep others from coming in also keep you from leaving.
Rhythmic drumming can be quite hypnotic...

Part one is not only OK'd. It also get's the
Official RepublicOfVermont Seal of Approval. :thumbs:

Awesome job and very well read, I must say!
RepublicOfVermont

Howard was so talented in his ability to paint entire living landscapes using less words than it takes countless other authors to describe a single still. It really is amazing.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:Howard was so talented in his ability to paint entire living landscapes using less words than it takes countless other authors to describe a single still. It really is amazing.
I could not agree more. He could paint a scene with all the ambien tension in a few words that fit perfectly. Part 2 is in the MW and the mayhem continues. Conan could not be more Conan in this story.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oooooh. Part 3 is in the magic window ..... good stuff there! :shock: Conan almost meets his match. I said almost
RepublicOfVermont

OH YEAH here we goooooo!!!

Edit: Apologies on day long delay. This client app I use on my flip-phone stopped working with 1Password, which is strange because its the most widely used password manager in the flip-phoneOS ecostructure. Been a nightmare transferring logins to Bitwarden, which doesn't recognize sites properly anyway. So now I'm copying/pasting everything after a day of login transfers.
RepublicOfVermont

Awwwwww it’s over. :cry: That’s likely the most difficult part of DPL’ing. Okay it’s definitely the most difficult part. So I’m going to hop on over from my current Dystopian multiverse to a Utopian one. Any will do, so long as within their own reality exists LibriVox, Robert Howard, Conan, and this specific project. With one minor variation: Howard extended this piece into, well, I’d be happy with just 300 or so pages. If I don’t find that particular Utopia on my first jump, I’ll just break out my Inter-dimensional Multiverse Maps. Don't forget to pick up yours at your relativistically-local IMA anytime in which you presently exist or any in any point in what the bastardized form of the linguistically elegent Ελληνικά rightly termed Romaine would call the arcus ab humanus. Remember they cost you nothing, that's right they're ABSOLUTELY FREE! thanks to the absurd, illusory construct-of-control "money". As if Living Beings anwhere have not control over their flowing, voluntarily created communities! As if Living Beings everywhere weren't INHERENTLY FREE! We at the IMA - Inter-dimensional Multiverse Association, like an American Automobile Association with unlimited travel destinations, unconstrained by the processes of humanoid mind-data, offer our most sincere gratitude to:
La Langue Française for allowing "Romaine" to become a vegatable. For better than a vegetable to define what is ultimately the Roman language, presently termed "Latin"?
All Beings Eveywhere willing to travel beyond their comfort zones, or more precisely, beyond their systematically controlled software boundries aka "minds".
RepublicOfVermont

Phil, there's a hesitation & pause @ 7:19 in chapter four. You begin to say "And she screamed" but have a brain-glitch, say the beginning sounds of "she" after "And", then stop until 7:20ish before beginning again, systems restored, and continue with what I believe is one of your best Howard recordings that you've done to date. I do think the second-long pause was intentional to make for a simpler post-production. :thumbs: You've got your inner Conan flowing free on this one and it shows! :clap:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey, I come from an inter-dimentional cross-pollinated cul-de-sac universe Too!! Do you know a guy named Zerk? We went to the same mind control classes together.

Anyway, thank you for saying the Conan is flowing in me; I had a ton of fun reading this novella and plan to do a 'real' book soon. I think you suggested it as the one haven't recorded yet. The Hour of the dragon? Whatever.

Part 4 has that section fixed and uploaded. I just missed it in editing. :thumbs: Image
RepublicOfVermont

Zerk? Don't think I do. It's a rare name, so I'd probably remember it. Then again, cross-pollination does tend to produce some aggressive allergens; though admittedly the resulting species are indeed quite fantastic! That's good you've mastered mind control, it hardens your own mind against outside attacks. Plus revenge is always fun. :lol: I heard that due to the relative quiet a cul de sac property grants its inhabitant has created an arificial unibubble in the unrealestate underground. Better watch out for the infamous bubble blowing pirates. They don't care who they burst so long as they get the property they believe exists. :lol:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I h ave invested heavily in the unrealestate market in a recently opened sub-nebula near me, sure hope it isn't a bubble 'cuze I need the Zorasters.

Thank you for PLing and I look forward to scratching my head over more of your deep thoughts in the future. Are you sure you aren't related to James Joyce? Image

PS. Zerk was a big galoot of a guy, third string Qualafer on our Poot team, class clown, collected Geeks. You would remember him, always stumbling over his own foot. wonder whatever happened to Zerk. :hmm:
RepublicOfVermont

You're quite welcome. Thank-you for the pleasure of being DPL for this. It's only an actual bubble created by those whom still believe in and worship exchanging that odd looking paper. They claim it's got some sort of powerful magic inside each piece of said paper. But here's where it gets weird. The magic exists but only because they believe it exists. And the "magic" actually "grows in power" the more pieces of paper they hoard. But here's what's really frightening. This is where it turns evil. After they've collected enough paper to have a certain size hoard - I'm not sure of the exact size but let's just say it's an unfathomably enormous hoard of paper - that hoard literally ends up consuming their life force as if it were Thog resurrected. Anyway, I never will understand why any being still places so much false value into slips of paper only to be consumed by the very thing they deem valuable.

As for James Joyce, no, I'm not related. Though it is quite a compliment. He was aware of his own unawareness, which is a trait rarely found in people. By the way, you've really expanded your thought processes during the last few weeks. That or you're just now allowing them to written out as they're coming into and leaving this plain. Whichever it be, it's truly nice to see. And remember to err on the cautious side with your unrealestate. Charge up your Psi and defend it from those bubble pirates. Damned broods of Thog is what they are. But they're no match for your Psi.

« ήθος άνθρωποι δαίμων »