Complete Celebrated Crimes v7, p1: Ali Pacha

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by George Burnham Ives (1856 - 1930)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/celebrated-crimes-vol-7-part-1-ali-pacha-by-alexandre-dumas/

Ali Tepeleni, Pacha of Janina, rose to power during the early 1800s in one of the Ottoman Empire’s most unruly territories (Albania). His ferocious imposition of will was limitless, earning him the sobriquet of “the Lion of Janina.” As the mauling and murder of innocents sustains the lion, so did it sustain Ali Pacha’s rule. Thus, the range of celebrated crimes that Dumas describes in this essay are as vast as Ali Pacha’s ambition – an ambition rooted in his mother’s callous advice that “success justified everything, and everything is permissible to him who has the power to do it.” (jvanstan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2760
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1847
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/True Crime

Keywords that describe the book: ottoman empire, ali tepeleni, pacha of janina, lion of janina, yanina, ali pasha of ioannina, pashalik of yanina, sultan mahmud ii

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by George Burnham Ives"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename celebratedcrimesv7p1_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. celebratedcrimesv7p1_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Celebrated Crimes, Vol. 7: Part 1: Ali Pacha

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Lynnet has requested to MC
Pattymarie has requested to PL
Thanks Lynne and Patty Marie!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set up.
Have fun!
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got this book marked. Listening to the previous one tonight. I've been a bit selfishly working on my own project the past two days.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Patty Marie,

I've started on this project - the first 6 sections are ready for PL :) Now I'll address the PL notes from Martin Guerre!

Hope all's well!
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got them. Will plunge in later this evening.

Lynne, could you advise me about pronunciation of some names in British history that I'm coming upon in my own project?
Just from your knowledge - don't go looking anything up - I've done that for each of them and either found nothing or found different pronunciations.
They are:

Mercadet, the officer of Richard the Lionhearted who reversed Richard's death bed clemency to the man who fatally shot him with an arrow and had the archer flayed alive after Richard died. French ('Mare kah day) or an anglicized pronunciation pretty much the way its spelled?

Hawise, the first wife of King John - the most common pronunciation on the net seems to be 'Hah - weis, but it isn't exclusive.

Simon de Montfort, French or anglicized pronunciation. The American form is Simon (as in "Simon says") de Mahntfert. I'm guessing the British would be more like Mauntfert unless they use the French pronunciation which I know. If the author would have written "of" instead of "de", I'd go with anglicized pronunciation, but that "de" makes me wonder.

Thanks
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

pattymarie wrote:Got them. Will plunge in later this evening.

Lynne, could you advise me about pronunciation of some names in British history that I'm coming upon in my own project?
Just from your knowledge - don't go looking anything up - I've done that for each of them and either found nothing or found different pronunciations.
They are:

Mercadet, the officer of Richard the Lionhearted who reversed Richard's death bed clemency to the man who fatally shot him with an arrow and had the archer flayed alive after Richard died. French ('Mare kah day) or an anglicized pronunciation pretty much the way its spelled?

Hawise, the first wife of King John - the most common pronunciation on the net seems to be 'Hah - weis, but it isn't exclusive.

Simon de Montfort, French or anglicized pronunciation. The American form is Simon (as in "Simon says") de Mahntfert. I'm guessing the British would be more like Mauntfert unless they use the French pronunciation which I know. If the author would have written "of" instead of "de", I'd go with anglicized pronunciation, but that "de" makes me wonder.

Thanks
When in doubt, go for the Anglicized! I would say "Merr-ka-dette", "Har-wise" and Simon (as in Simple Simon) der "MonTferd" -- this one I'm 100% sure of 8-) The 't' is quite pronounced. And all the history books call him Simon de Montford, so I think the 'de' is authentic.
L.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thank you, Lynne.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK.

1:14 exortion/extortion in the seventh line of the chapter " oppressing the inhabitants of the plains, who, groaning under both extortion and rapine,"

This has me laughing at both of us, and I wouldn't mention it if it were't right in the same sentence. You've used good French pronunciation of "rapine" and I've been mispronouncing it all my life as ('ray - pine). Here's Merriam Webster on the English pronunciation https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rapine Do whatever you want to with it. :D

edit: For consistency you might want to leave "rapine" alone because it re-occurs in section 5 at 12:13-14. I thought it was "exortion" that reoccurred and am still going to do a word search for it to be sure whether or not it crops up again somewhere.
Last edited by pattymarie on September 27th, 2017, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK (unless you want to change "rapine" at 12:03 in section 5)

Section 4 20:58 exort/extort in the sentence spoken by Ali to the Greek "
"This accursed kapidgi-bachi has come hither bringing certain papers signed with my seal, intending to use them to my discredit, and thus to extort money from me. " Its a good bit past the half way mark of the chapter.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie,

I hadn't ever thought about how to pronounce "rapine" before! I think I'll keep it as is rather than trying to punch in to all the different sections. I did correct the extorts and such. Also, I added two more sections :)

All the best,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 3, 4, 7, and 8 are PL OK. :)
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie!

I just uploaded the remaining sections (9-11). Will start setting up the next project, Countess de Saint-Geran :)

Hope all's well!
John
pattymarie wrote:Sections 3, 4, 7, and 8 are PL OK. :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Put me down as MC for that please 8-)

And is she related to Agnes Sorel, Mademoiselle de Saint Geran? I just did a solo about her (but she was one of the 'good guys', not a criminal)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

These three are downloading to my computer. Please put me down as dpl for the next project :) It's late right now and I'm busy all day tomorrow, but I'll get these listened to as quickly as possible.

I
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 9, 10 and 11 are pl ok. :clap:
Pattymarie