[COMPLETE]- Phra The Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

18 is fine. It's all cool.

One note for 19, but a repetition that should be able to be fixed without a mic:
35.07-35.14, p. 270, mid-page:
What, do you think I can conjure you What, do you think I can conjure you a pretty, painted leman for a plaything...

Phra's new buddy is straight out of a horror film. I especially liked his 'yes, all the other young men have said that' or whatever it was.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin, I have noted one other error at 21:00 where I said 'declay and neglect', so I will need a mic after all.

Yes, the old scholar is a surprise, isn't he - real Hammer Horror! I have no idea what is coming next...

I'm also wondering what listeners will make of 'leman'. Not a word I have heard before and it definitely sounds like 'lemon' :)
Newgatenovelist wrote: March 7th, 2018, 8:59 am One note for 19, but a repetition that should be able to be fixed without a mic:
35.07-35.14, p. 270, mid-page:
What, do you think I can conjure you What, do you think I can conjure you a pretty, painted leman for a plaything...

Phra's new buddy is straight out of a horror film. I especially liked his 'yes, all the other young men have said that' or whatever it was.
Newgatenovelist

Hammer Horror! I did think of that, though I didn't know if you were a fan. Yes, this character is either out of a Hammer film, or perhaps Young Frankenstein!

Listeners are going to learn a lot from this. Phra does have a reasonable vocabulary, though whether listeners end up needing words like 'leman' on a daily basis is perhaps another matter.

Nevermind about the edits. Phra can wait a bit longer. And in the meantime, there's Childe Christopher! Whenever you work on that, I'll be here to listen.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Let's move back here and let Child Christopher out to pasture!

Anne, Trivia, or the Art of Walking the Streets of London is very interesting for two reasons. One is that this one has been on been on my list for a while - The Footpath Way - https://archive.org/details/triviaorartofwal00gayjuoft . The other is that I am flying to England tomorrow and will spending a month or so walking the streets of London myself - I might record it while I'm there!

Erin, I don't know what I mean by an epic poem, you've caught me out! But what I have in mind are poems that are long and on some legendary subject (remember Dionysius the Areopagite?). The Morris I was thinking of is the Volsung Saga. We have this: https://librivox.org/volsungasaga-by-magnusson-and-morris/ - but having listened to a little of it I am not sure if it is the same thing.

Weird, science fiction, horror, yes, that it all good! The book I've enjoyed most from the Newcastle collection so far, though, is the Haunted Woman.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Greetings from Singapore Airport! Part 19 corrected and Part 20 Ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_20_arnold.mp3 - 32:50

I have finished the recordings for this and will edit them while I'm away. Any corrections that need a microphone will have to wait until I am back in May, though.
Newgatenovelist

Singapore airport! Unfortunately I didn't witness this myself, but I have seen the photos: more than ten years ago there was an Elvis impersonator performing there. I hope you get to hear something good if he's still there!

Chapter 18 is spot PL OK. Chapter 19, one note:
30.15-30.20. P. 282, last paragraph:
...there was time to note every wrinkle and furrow on that sullen, ashy [heard sully, ashen] face!

A general teaching moment - I don't think it's worth going back to alter this, but for any future revels, the pronunciation of Rhenish is:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rhenish

This house really is a Hammer set. I keep expecting Peter Cushing to turn up.

That's funny about The Haunted Woman. The Morris has been marvellous and I thought Aladore was beautiful, but my favourite has been the Lindsay as well. I think I just assumed that Morris was your favourite.

I do have a few suggestions for projects, but I'm not going to post them right this minute. That's partly because I don't want to overwhelm you with stuff (here! record this! and this! and this!)! But it's also me trying to put the brakes on myself, because I have a terrible tendency to say 'ooooh, shiny object' much faster than I can record those exciting new things I find. You're away for a bit, and in April-May I'll be away for a bit, and I'm trying not to get ten steps ahead of myself!

Have a fab trip, and if you want recommendations give me a shout!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

From a rainy Birmingham....

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_21_arnold.mp3 - 38:27
(note for correction later: at 6:51 I have read 'white muslim smock' instead of 'white muslin smock')

I do like Morris, but I found Child Christopher a little too predictable (but perhaps my judgement is affected by having to read most of the book again, because I lost the files!). I am looking forward to Jaufry the Knight (by Mary Lafon, Ewes is the translator) - it's quite short so I may go for that one next.

If you know anywhere in England where it is not raining, please let me know!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

And now from a foggy Birmingham...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_22_arnold.mp3 - 30:32

If this weather keeps up, I'll be finished in no time!
Newgatenovelist

Go Phil! The PL note is the one you noted - at 6.51, the top of p. 286.

I think you've acclimatised to NSW! Yes, the weather in this part of the world is awful. Yesterday it was hailing here. I'm sorry. At least you've missed the snowstorms.

If you have any spare time, they're open over the bank holiday weekend and it has any appeal, the Birmingham gallery has an excellent collection of Pre-Raphaelite art.
Off LV 25-28 March.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I do like Morris, but I found Child Christopher a little too predictable
Yes - I'd agree. Maybe it was his characters - I found it hard to care what happened to them. I was glad I listened though :D

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Notes for chapter 21:

0.30-0.36. P. 298, first paragraph:
...is a cell more pregnant with ingenuity than ever was the forge [heard force] of the lame smith of Lemnos, Vulcan! [I also heard a third 'Vulcan', and there should be two]

1.14-1.18. P. 298, first paragraph:
...I have tamed what the bold Son of Clymene only touched.
Check pronunciation of Clymene:
http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=clymene&x=0&y=0&wid=1920&flash=n#

27.18. P. 307, concluding sentence of last full paragraph. Omission:
...peace and war, [or light,] all out of the same virtue...

30.05-30.11. P. 308, last sentence. Repetition:
...dawning in those unruffled child-eye dawning in those unruffled child-eyes of hers...

Now go and enjoy the Midlands!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the notes on Part 22 - I really have to work on my ancient Greek!

Part 23 ready for PL. Of all the solutions to the hammer horror mystery I could think of a beserk steam-powered robot Frankenstein wasn't among them!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_23_arnold.mp3 - 39:43

From Grasmere. I was out of Birmingham as fast as I could go and spent Easter in the lakes, very pleasant in spite of the weather. I was commenting to friends that I lived in Birmingham and worked in the city centre for two years, but could not remember anything or find my way around! The pre-Raphaelites in the art gallery were one of the things I forgot!
Newgatenovelist

I'm glad I could help, but I think I have to work on my ancient Greek too, so this is useful for me! And more to the point, I think I have to work on my memory generally. I read this book years ago, and I hadn't remembered the scene with the sentient homicidal Elizabethan robot. It's bit odd this late in the novel to move sideways into some sort of hybrid of steampunk and dreadpunk, but I think I'll remember it now!

I hadn't realised that you lived in Birmingham! I lived in the Midlands too, though I think it would be quite different now if I had to find my way around and I probably wouldn't be able to do it, either. If we ever were to find ourselves in the same time zone and met in person, I'd like to hear about your Birmingham experiences!

O yeah, the PL notes!

8.05-8.08. p. 312, first full paragraph, repetition
And to that I said she had that she had but to try me in some venture...

35.34-35.38. p. 322, first paragraph, repetition
...shot out shot out and drew in those humming tentacles...

36.54-36.57. p. 322, last full paragraph, repetition
...and in a tw- and in a twinkling had me by the throat...
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_24_arnold.mp3 - 42:13 Ready for PL!

I have also uploaded the corrections for Part 23 as no mic is needed.

I lived in Birmingham and also Leicester for a while, but both were in the early '80s, hence the memory loss. They do say if you remember the '80s, you weren't there.

I am wondering now if this is going to be my longest solo - it certainly feels like it! The Manchester Man was 15:35.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

just fyi Aladore now has 79,312 views , about double the October count after about 12 months . :clap:

Anne