COMPLETE The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_02_cox_128kb.mp3 is fixed, and now 22:44

I was curious about bedeman-- other than that, all the piles of untranslated Latin, and the spelling of "abrode," this section wasn't too terribly mystifying. once we get back to Cox himself, that'll be more fun. :)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: August 8th, 2018, 7:13 am thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_02_cox_128kb.mp3 is fixed, and now 22:44

I was curious about bedeman-- other than that, all the piles of untranslated Latin, and the spelling of "abrode," this section wasn't too terribly mystifying. once we get back to Cox himself, that'll be more fun. :)
PL OK!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

section 3, finally edited:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_03_cox_128kb.mp3

14:01

I wasn't going to even include this section, but I decided to for some reason. is it even very listenable? who knows.
I did skip over a few short little cross-references that were too riddled with abbreviations to make much sense of in audio form. The most significant of these is around 11:16-ish.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 2:00 pm section 3, finally edited:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_03_cox_128kb.mp3

14:01

I wasn't going to even include this section, but I decided to for some reason. is it even very listenable? who knows.
I did skip over a few short little cross-references that were too riddled with abbreviations to make much sense of in audio form. The most significant of these is around 11:16-ish.
PL OK!
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you!

section 4 is recorded, just needs editing.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

section 4!
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_04_cox_128kb.mp3
it's 21.31 minutes long

one note I wanted to ask for a second opinion about: at ~12:30 I interpreted "maystry" as "mystery," but when editing I wondered if it might really be "mastery." does the good old OED have any clues?

thanks again for your above-and-beyond PLing etc.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: September 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm section 4!
it's 21.31 minutes long

one note I wanted to ask for a second opinion about: at ~12:30 I interpreted "maystry" as "mystery," but when editing I wondered if it might really be "mastery." does the good old OED have any clues?

thanks again for your above-and-beyond PLing etc.
Here are your notes:

5:49 (not a note): Well done for working out what 'meruaylles' was. I would not have got 'marvels'. And yes, I checked, it is 'marvels'.
7:04: 'as whan thou haste intended' should be 'as whan thou haste inuentyd [invented]'
7:35: I believe the 'delatith' in 'And whan a man delatith his matter' is the word 'delate', so should be pronounced 'dih-LEYT-eth'
12:28: Yes, 'maystry' is 'mastery'. Though to be honest, I'd almost recommend pronouncing it as 'MEY-stree' (i.e. rhyming with 'pastry'). Up to you. But it's definitely not 'mystery'.
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 3:45 pm fixed, I hope!

21:30 now
PL OK
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I have half of section six recorded, but it was so long ago now I'll probably end up re-doing the whole thing. hopefully this week or next if I can keep all the piles of grading under control.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_06_cox_128kb.mp3

15:47

at about 10:38, I did my best with "affynes" -- if you've any advice on that one that's more helpful than the alternate spelling in Carpenter's footnote, I'm all ears. neither "affines" or "assigns" makes full sense to me in this section.

thanks in advance for PLing!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: November 6th, 2018, 7:08 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_06_cox_128kb.mp3

15:47

at about 10:38, I did my best with "affynes" -- if you've any advice on that one that's more helpful than the alternate spelling in Carpenter's footnote, I'm all ears. neither "affines" or "assigns" makes full sense to me in this section.

thanks in advance for PLing!
Here are your notes:

Too loud. Should be about 89 dB, and you're at 92 dB.
0:16: Probably should cut this gap down a bit
0:21: Probably should cut this gap down a bit
1:54 (not required): 'difficile' of "Of thefe .iiii. the most difficile or harde" is pronounced 'dif-i-SEEL'.
2:45: 'The which malice grow so ferre' should be 'The which malice grew so ferre'. Also, I believe 'ferre' is an old spelling of 'far'.
5:21 (not required): 'And that in it the natures, caufes, parts, and effectes of thinges' should be 'And that in it the natures, caufes, partis [parties], and effectes of thinges'. An old defintion of 'party' is 'a division of a whole; a part, portion, or share'. So 'parts' isn't really wrong...
6:36: 'diuisions' is 'divisions', here meaning 'the actions of distinguishing, or of perceiving or making a difference; distinctions'
7:08: 'And search from Aristotle' should be 'And fetche from Aristotle'
8:41 (not required): 'to se that they be put in use.' should be 'to se that they be put in ure.' 'In ure' is an obsolete phrase meaning 'in or into use, practice, or performance. Often with verbs, as bring, come, have, and esp. put (frequently c1510–1630). Also rarely with into.' Though seeing as it means 'in use', and seeing as I don't even have a pronunciation listed for 'ure', you probably can leave this one alone (man, this book is really difficult to PL for...)
8:46: 'if they be nat obeyed and kepte.' should be 'if they be nat obseruyd [observed] and kepte.'
9:02 (not required): 'is wherby a man neither taketh neither giueth' should be 'is wherby a man nother taketh nother giueth'. But as before, 'nother' just means 'neither', so probably can be left alone.
10:12: 'kepe iuste dealings in equite' should be 'kepe iuste dealynge in equite [keep just dealing in equity]'
10:39: 'affines' is pronounced 'uh-FINES'. It means 'a person or thing that is connected or linked to something else' here.
11:35: 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues concerning honeste' should be 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues conseruynge [conserving] honeste'
12:21: 'prodigalyte' [prodigality] is pronounced 'prod-i-GAL-i-tee'
12:54: 'Euery theme compounde eyther is prouyd true or false' should be 'Euery theme compounde eyther it is prouyd true or false'
14:30: 'that in foure or fyue lives it is scant made an end of' should be 'that in foure or fyue leues [leaves] it is scant made an end of'. 'Leaves' meaning 'pages' here.
14:49-14:50: Failed take to be removed.
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

you are the best. I'll try to get edits done soon for all that.
I knew I had "diuisions" wrong there... you can probably hear the wavering uncertainty in my recording. heh.

thank you again!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Too loud. - fixed
0:16: Probably should cut this gap down a bit - fixed
0:21: Probably should cut this gap down a bit - fixed
2:45: 'The which malice grow so ferre' should be 'The which malice grew so ferre'. Also, I believe 'ferre' is an old spelling of 'far'. - fixed
6:36: 'diuisions' is 'divisions', here meaning 'the actions of distinguishing, or of perceiving or making a difference; distinctions' - fixed
7:08: 'And search from Aristotle' should be 'And fetche from Aristotle' - fixed
8:46: 'if they be nat obeyed and kepte.' should be 'if they be nat obseruyd [observed] and kepte.' fixed!
10:12: 'kepe iuste dealings in equite' should be 'kepe iuste dealynge in equite [keep just dealing in equity]' - fixed
10:39: 'affines' is pronounced 'uh-FINES'. It means 'a person or thing that is connected or linked to something else' here. - fixed
11:35: 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues concerning honeste' should be 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues conseruynge [conserving] honeste' - fixed
12:21: 'prodigalyte' [prodigality] is pronounced 'prod-i-GAL-i-tee' - I hear that pronunciation, more or less. is it more an emphasis issue? I haven't edited, but I could if you think it makes a difference.

12:54: 'Euery theme compounde eyther is prouyd true or false' should be 'Euery theme compounde eyther it is prouyd true or false' - fixed
14:30: 'that in foure or fyue lives it is scant made an end of' should be 'that in foure or fyue leues [leaves] it is scant made an end of'. 'Leaves' meaning 'pages' here. - fixed
14:49-14:50: Failed take to be removed. - fixed

new section 6: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_06_cox_128kb.mp3
the timestamps for all these have shifted a bit after I cut some long pauses at the beginning.

I'm gonna work on editing section 7 this week, too...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: November 15th, 2018, 1:17 pm Too loud. - fixed
0:16: Probably should cut this gap down a bit - fixed
0:21: Probably should cut this gap down a bit - fixed
2:45: 'The which malice grow so ferre' should be 'The which malice grew so ferre'. Also, I believe 'ferre' is an old spelling of 'far'. - fixed
6:36: 'diuisions' is 'divisions', here meaning 'the actions of distinguishing, or of perceiving or making a difference; distinctions' - fixed
7:08: 'And search from Aristotle' should be 'And fetche from Aristotle' - fixed
8:46: 'if they be nat obeyed and kepte.' should be 'if they be nat obseruyd [observed] and kepte.' fixed!
10:12: 'kepe iuste dealings in equite' should be 'kepe iuste dealynge in equite [keep just dealing in equity]' - fixed
10:39: 'affines' is pronounced 'uh-FINES'. It means 'a person or thing that is connected or linked to something else' here. - fixed
11:35: 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues concerning honeste' should be 'whiche is the coroune of all vertues conseruynge [conserving] honeste' - fixed
12:21: 'prodigalyte' [prodigality] is pronounced 'prod-i-GAL-i-tee' - I hear that pronunciation, more or less. is it more an emphasis issue? I haven't edited, but I could if you think it makes a difference.

12:54: 'Euery theme compounde eyther is prouyd true or false' should be 'Euery theme compounde eyther it is prouyd true or false' - fixed
14:30: 'that in foure or fyue lives it is scant made an end of' should be 'that in foure or fyue leues [leaves] it is scant made an end of'. 'Leaves' meaning 'pages' here. - fixed
14:49-14:50: Failed take to be removed. - fixed

new section 6: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_06_cox_128kb.mp3
the timestamps for all these have shifted a bit after I cut some long pauses at the beginning.

I'm gonna work on editing section 7 this week, too...
PL OK!
Jordan