COMPLETE The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hi Plaid,

Any update on this? I wouldn't want this to be closed due to inactivity.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you for checking in! I have been meaning to come and post an update, but I just keep telling myself "maybe I'll can find time to record a bit of it tomorrow..." etc. etc.

I think finally the time has come and I do have a few free hours thismorning, so I'm going to get back into this project right away.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

alrighty-- I did end up rerecording section 1 because all those mouth sounds would drive me insane as a listener. I also got a new laptop and forced myself to learn Audacity at last. it's very different, but mostly in a good way, I think.

so: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_01_cox_128kb.mp3
3:15

and then I jumped down to section 5-- https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_05_cox_128kb.mp3
4:55

when I set this up, I thought I'd skip the "list of works by Cox" section of the introduction, but after reviewing it again I think I'll include it after all. some listeners might be interested enough, and it feels almost too meddlesome to skip over it. so I added that section in the MW.

there's a bunch of Latin passages in the introduction that are making it difficult, but I will conquer those three bits eventually, I hope. at least I've made a tiny bit of progress on this for now!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: February 26th, 2018, 9:25 am alrighty-- I did end up rerecording section 1 because all those mouth sounds would drive me insane as a listener. I also got a new laptop and forced myself to learn Audacity at last. it's very different, but mostly in a good way, I think.

so: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_01_cox_128kb.mp3
3:15

and then I jumped down to section 5-- https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_05_cox_128kb.mp3

when I set this up, I thought I'd skip the "list of works by Cox" section of the introduction, but after reviewing it again I think I'll include it after all. some listeners might be interested enough, and it feels almost too meddlesome to skip over it. so I added that section in the MW.

there's a bunch of Latin passages in the introduction that are making it difficult, but I will conquer those three bits eventually, I hope. at least I've made a tiny bit of progress on this for now!
Section 1 is PL OK!

Section 5 is not...

0:00: In case you weren't aware, you don't need to read the full introduction for every file on a solo project. See the first post for the shortened form of the intro disclaimer.
1:04: 'I myght do next to busy and dylygent' should be 'I myght do next the busy and dylygent'
1:58-2:03: Long gap
2:17 (not required): 'ambassades' is pronounced AM-buh-saydz (like 'amber shades', but with an 's' rather than a 'sh')
2:21 (not required): 'moste sensible and accepted to their audience' should be 'moste sensible and accepte to their audience' ('accept' used to also be an adjective)
2:46 (not required): I believe that 'apeyreth' of 'greatly hyndrethe and apeyreth his clyentes cause' is pronounced 'uh-PAIR-eth ('appair' is an obsolete word meaning 'to make worse', connected to 'impair')

Also, it's a little too quiet. You should be aiming for 89 dB, and you have 85.5 dB.
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you so much! I was hoping you'd have tips for some of those words that seemed extra weird that I couldn't figure out. I'll work on the edits as soon as I can.
it's so great to have you PLing this for me. thank you again.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

oh, and I guess I'm just used to reading the full disclaimer/intro, except for poetry. is that a new thing to shorten it on all but the first file? I remember seeing the idea discussed, but I didn't know what ultimately came of the discussion...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

The short disclaimer is optional after the first section . . . so you can leave as is on what you have done and shorten it on future recordings or continue to use the long disclaimer on all sections.

MaryAnn
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

JorWat wrote: February 26th, 2018, 1:48 pm 1:04: 'I myght do next to busy and dylygent' should be 'I myght do next the busy and dylygent'
1:58-2:03: Long gap
2:17 (not required): 'ambassades' is pronounced AM-buh-saydz (like 'amber shades', but with an 's' rather than a 'sh')
2:21 (not required): 'moste sensible and accepted to their audience' should be 'moste sensible and accepte to their audience' ('accept' used to also be an adjective)
2:46 (not required): I believe that 'apeyreth' of 'greatly hyndrethe and apeyreth his clyentes cause' is pronounced 'uh-PAIR-eth ('appair' is an obsolete word meaning 'to make worse', connected to 'impair')

Also, it's a little too quiet. You should be aiming for 89 dB, and you have 85.5 dB.
I have amplified and re-recorded most of that long second paragraph to get all those mispronunciations sorted out. I hope it is all better and not too loud. the checker says 91.2db for section 1 and section 5, so I assume that's close enough.

new section 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_05_cox_128kb.mp3

plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 8:05 pmI have amplified and re-recorded most of that long second paragraph to get all those mispronunciations sorted out. I hope it is all better and not too loud. the checker says 91.2db for section 1 and section 5, so I assume that's close enough.

new section 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_05_cox_128kb.mp3

PL OK!
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

awesome. thank you!

hopefully I find some good time for more recording soon...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I opened Audacity to do some more work on this the other week, but then still didn't actually get around to recording. I will have more time once my PhD quest is over (very soon!).
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Any updates on this? We're approaching three months since your last update, which, according to the first post, is the point where "your project may be opened up to a group project".
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you for the nudge!
I just finished recording section 2. editing now. I do not envy you having to PL my botched-patchwork attempts at Latin and French in this one...
all pronunciation tips are welcome, but I don't promise I'll be brave or patient enough to re-record much if it doesn't seem absolutely crucial.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_02_cox_128kb.mp3

22:37

I made an effort to read the roman numerals from Latin passages in Latin, using this handy table as a guide. hopefully it doesn't sound too miserable.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: August 6th, 2018, 3:11 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_02_cox_128kb.mp3

22:37

I made an effort to read the roman numerals from Latin passages in Latin, using this handy table as a guide. hopefully it doesn't sound too miserable.
Here are your notes:

3:06 You're missing "to "Iodoco Ludovico Dedo serenissimo ac potentissimo Regi Poloniæ à Secretis." between "dedicated by Cox" and "Mœcenati suo".
21:03: Repetition of 'quindecim'

Also, if you're curious about what a 'bedeman' (or 'beadsman', in more modern English) is, according to the OED, it's "a man of prayer; one who prays for the soul or spiritual welfare of another" or "one paid or endowed to pray for others; a pensioner or almsman charged with the duty of praying for the souls of his benefactors". Though in this case it's "the term by which men used to designate or subscribe themselves in addressing their patrons and superiors, answering to the modern ‘humble servant’."
Jordan