COMPLETE Biography of John Wesley Powell BY W. M. Davis-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIR OF JOHN WESLEY POWELL, 1834-1902. by William Morris Davis (1850 - 1934).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/biographical-memoir-of-john-wesley-powell-by-william-morris-davis/

A biography of the life and scientific work of John Wesley Powell, published as part of Chapter VIII, National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoirs. The author, William Morris Davis, was a contemporary of Powell and in the circle of luminaries of the time in the paleontological, geological and geographical sciences. Powell served in the Civil War, and later in government. He not only was the second Director of the U.S. Geological Survey, but headed the Bureau of Ethnology for the Smithsonian Institute (future field of anthropology) and was a strong proponent of Indian rights and languages in government. He was a relative of the Wesleys, founders of the Wesleyan religion. ( Melanie Schleeter McCalmont)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/biographicalmemo00davirich
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIR OF JOHN WESLEY POWELL 1834-1902. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIR OF JOHN WESLEY POWELL 1834-1902, by William Morris Davis. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIR OF JOHN WESLEY POWELL 1834-1902 by William Morris Davis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIR OF JOHN WESLEY POWELL 1834-1902 by William Morris Davis. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename jwpowell_##_davis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jwpowell_01_davis_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
/Melanie McCalmont
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mel,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get things set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, You're set.
Let me know if you have any questions.
MaryAnn
melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

Thanks! I will start this project when Mountaineering is done, so it may sit idle until then, probably September. I'll need your advice on chapterizing, since some are very short and some very long...I'll consult you when time comes to start it. There's so many great government-related publications from this era.
/Melanie McCalmont
melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

:D I've added all my chapters and am preparing to start recording.

Reviewing the text, this is one long "essay" with unnumbered sections. I'm calling them "chapters" but am wondering if I should technically state on the recording "Chapter 4" when there is no actual number to be seen? Or is the statement of "chapter" just a mnemonic for sections on the voice recording?

Let me know.
/Melanie McCalmont
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Melanie,

You raise a good point. When I have soloed similar projects, I have introduced the recordings as "section" with a number. Or you can start them with "part". Whatever makes sense to you, as long as you also say a number so the listeners know they are going in order.

MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Do you need a DPL? :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yes we do Helen. I've added you to the MW.
MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:D Thank you MaryAnn.
Helen

melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

I've posted sections 1, 2, and 3 of the solo recording. Since there are no chapter numbers but section titles, I've called it 'section' so that the numbering matches the recording id. Let me know if this sounds ok as a process?
/Melanie McCalmont
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Melanie,

That's just what I do on my own projects. I use either chapter or section, depending on what makes sense given the book's organization and anytime the chapter numbers are out of whack with the section numbers (like when I need to split chapters into multiple sections), then I use sections as well.

MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

PL OK for:

sect 1 Early Life

sect 2 Service in the Civil War

sect 3 Visit to the Rocky Mountains, 1867-1868

Great story and reading. :clap:
Helen

melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

My goal was to get back to this reading and finish it over the holidays. I was doing a lot of work traveling until December 10. But I came down with a chest virus going around here and my voice is shot, can't even breathe in without coughing. But I'm still committed to the project and should feel better soon, hopefully!
/Melanie McCalmont
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Melanie. Hope you are feeling better soon.
MaryAnn
melpaulm

Post by melpaulm »

I took almost 6 weeks to get my voice back after the bad flu out here. I'm starting to record the remaining sections will have a steady stream of uploads starting today.
/Melanie McCalmont