COMPLETE: The Whys of Cooking by Janet McKenzie Hill -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Betty,

You are pl ok through section 4.

Well into section 5. When I was little, special treat was for mom to make donuts and fry them after church (in Crisco, of course, and using a cast iron 4" deep skillet). I mentioned to her the nutmeg in the donut recipe, and she was quite familiar with that. Something her mom did.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Section 5 is PL OK.
MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Nice memories
Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Betty,

On section 6, I know I listened to this, and thought I had posted comments. But I don't see them. Hmm. The comment was that I heard the "crisco is not to blame" language twice. Is it in the text twice? If not, then I'll listen through and catch the second one again. Otherwise, it was fine.

On 11, I hear a bit of snapping, like there is a loose connection in a cable. You might listen at 0.52, 1.04-1.05. Once you got farther into the recording, the snapping stopped. No need to change, just wanted to bring to your attention in case there was something different in your set up for that bit.

MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

In section 6 I found a similar sentence at 13:42. But I have encountered similar sentences throughout the book. Maybe you just remembered hearing it earlier.
They will definitely not let you blame the Crisco for your soggy pie crust or fallen cake. :D :D

Heard the popping in chapter 11 at :52 and tried to diminish it somewhat Could not hear at 1:04.
Thanks for listening!!
Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Betty,

I went back and checked.

On 6, I hear "things to remember in connection with these recipies . . . " at 13.43 and 18.08.

It's there twice in the book (pp 49 and 53), but it did make me look up and scratch my head to hear it twice. I wonder if the second time can be deleted (along with the word "recipies" above fudge cake as a "heading". Let's ask Jo.

MaryAnn
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Well, technically it's in the text twice. However, if the consensus is that this is equivalent to side notes, then leaving it out where it appears the second time is probably OK in this case.
Jo
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Have uploaded sections 7 and 8. Will delete that second paragraph but think I will leave "Recipes" as it appears that way in every chapter Will upload that shortly

Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sections 6 and 11 are PL OK.
MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

I have uploaded the remaining chapters of the book. Leaving on vacation late next week so trying to get things cleared away. Will also be uploading a stack of Africa chapters before I leave for you to PL at your leisure.
Thanks.
Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Betty. I'll steadily make my way through! Hope you have a great trip!
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Betty,
On section 7, pastry, please check for a repeat between 11.33 and 11.50 - why set pastry to bake in a hot oven?
I had not heard of making pie dough, and then folding it over and over again like a croissant to make it even more flaky. Have to ask my mom (who is an expert pie baker) about that.
MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

I uploaded 7 for spot check. I just realized I uploaded two of the last sections to your folder rather than Jo. Is that a problem?
Betty
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Either Mary Ann or I can move them.
Jo
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Or we can just leave them where they are. I promise not to delete them until after this project is cataloged!

Pastry is now PL OK. I'm well into the recipes for Bread. I want to try the Sally Lunn - I really like that bread toasted and all the recipes I've seen before have a lot more egg in them (and an angelfood cake pan).

MaryAnn