Post by craigdav1 »

23 PL OK.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Section 24 is now ready for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/personalnarrative3_24_humboldt.mp3
22 min 43.5 sec, 89.0 dB

I have some remaining background noise in a few places in the first half of the recording which I was not able to filter out. Can you hear it, and does it detract from the recording? [I think it got in there because I was experiencing "the circus is in town" when I recorded the first half {no blind commissioner} -- so stopped recording when I thought the crowd noise was getting too much.] [A little itinerary circus parks itself in a local domain about a block away from my house for a week every summer. Don't know if there was a tight-rope walker, but there were trick motorcyclists.]

Hope the Central American travels have been good.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

24 PL OK

File sounds fine. Home next week. An eventful trip. A small earthquake, a volcanic eruption that closed a road we wanted to take, a mudslide that closed a road we were on for several hours and 5 feet of rain in 24 hours in a rain forest. Having a great time.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Sounds awesome. Somehow the character building trips are the most memorable and their remembered enjoyment grows with the passage of time. Enjoy the last week.
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David

Section 25 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/personalnarrative3_25_humboldt.mp3
24 min 0.7 sec, 87.4 quiet dB. Don't know why it is so quiet and had to use "compressor" to amplify it that much. Hopefully no distortion is too apparent. The few snatches I listened to sounded OK to me.

Must be a shock to be back in Chicago after the tropics. Hope the rest of the trip was a delight.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

25 PL OK.

File sounds fine. The high temperatures all this week are well below freezing. A big change from CR. Sun block even on cloudy days was a necessity there. Time here to get out the serious winter clothing.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hello

Section 26 is now uploaded and ready for listening (thanks).

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/personalnarrative3_26_humboldt.mp3
26 min 39.9 sec, 89.1 dB

Brrr - Chicago in winter.

we had a really interesting driver ("Bob") taking us back to our car from our track end at Flora Saddle a couple of days ago. He's the founder of a trekking business called High Places (highplaces.co.nz), doing a trip for his neighbour who runs the tramper/trekker transport service up Nelson way. I don't know whether organised trips are your thing (they aren't ours) but still an interesting website. Nice man.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

26 PL OK.

We tend to do our own thing also. Though in CR on the Caribbean side we hired a guide/power boat operator as the only way to get around is by boat (the nearest road was 2 hours by power boat). The presence of crocs, poison dart frogs and boas (all of which we saw) made us a tad nervous hiking on our own.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hello -

Section 27 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/personalnarrative3_27_humboldt.mp3
26 min 35.3 sec, 89.4 dB.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

27 PL OK.

Next...coffee!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Oh - I didn't point out from AvH's figures that the French imported about 2 kg/capita of sugar in the early 1800s (French pastries clearly weren't what they are now!). I looked up the figures for NZ - approximately 60 kg/capita imported, pretty stable for the past 20 or so years.

And, Anne and David - there is a long index at the end of Vol. 3. Do I read it? No worries about reading it - but what is standard or best practice about indices for non-fiction books?

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The short answer is no.
The practice when reading foot notes is
If it explains something yes - though if it's just the meaning of a word , just read it as an aside in the place where it belongs
If it says "See page 253" it's actually useless . People would need the text to know what was on page 253
In this book , PG has only listed the words (there are page numbers in the scan on Archive) , so it's doubly useless
So the long answer is nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo too :D . If the listener wants to know where that bit he heard was , the index as is wouldn't help him at all in the audiobook

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Anne - thanks!

We aren't all that close to having finished this book, but the question of the cover comes up again. Are you keen to do the cover for Volume 3, as you did for Vols 1 and 2? Would you like for me to look for a selection of suitable historical images (in the public domain of course) for Cuba? You probably haven't been listening along, but there won't be one related to slavery - too gruesome for me.

I'll have to write the Intro too.....

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Relevant images are always easier if you've read the book - so yes I'll look at anything you find :D

Anne