[Complete] Critique of Dogmatic Theology by Leo Tolstoy - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

The Critique of Dogmatic Theology and Investigation of the Christian Teaching by Leo Tolstoy (1828 - 1910). Translated by Leo Wiener (1862 - 1939)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-critique-of-dogmatic-theology-by-leo-tolstoy/

Formerly an abandoned solo.
More systematic, but no less sincere than A Confession (which originally served as the introduction to this work), The Critique of Dogmatic Theology is an early attempt on the part of Tolstoy to impart the results of his meticulous study and fearless inquiry into the beliefs and traditions of Orthodox Christianity following his renewed interest in spirituality. ( Paul Rizik)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/myconfessioncrit00tols/page/92/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Readers: please note: this is a challenging text - read through the section before claiming :D
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section []of The Critique of Dogmatic Theology and Investigation of the Christian Teaching by Leo Tolstoy, Translated by Leo Wiener. Chapter [] part []. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Section #, title from MW

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Critique of Dogmatic Theology and Investigation of the Christian Teaching, by Leo Tolstoy. Translated by Leo Wiener."

There should be about 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename dogmatictheology_##_tolstoy_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. dogmatictheology_01_tolstoy_128kb.mp3)
  • ID tags not needed

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi! I'll MC. Back shortly with your Magic Window.

Would you have any objection to shortening the title to "The Critique of Dogmatic Theology"? That seems to be how it's titled in the book (other than the mention in the "Confessions" part).

edited to add: Your MW is ready. I've changed the suggested file name since the one generated by the template software was so long; you can adjust it if you like. Let me know if you have any questions!
Laurie Anne
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Hi Laurie! Thank you for MCing. I've just uploaded the prelude, but I read out the whole title when recording it. On future recordings, I'll use the shortened version. Looking forward to working with you :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/critiqueofdogmatictheology_01_tolstoy.mp3

6:18
"The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and his right to these peculiarities.”
― Vasily Grossman
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Great! Do you know how to enter the file link and duration in the MW?

Also, the file name needs to have _128kb added to the end (see the example in the first post). No need to change the one you've just uploaded -- I can easily edit it at cataloging time. Actually I can easily edit all of them with one click :) but it's as well to get in the habit for the next time you contribute to a group project. (No big deal if you forget when it's your own solo -- I routinely forget it myself -- but it does make things easier for some group projects if you've already added it.)
Laurie Anne
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Sorry! It's been a minute since my last recording :). Chapter 1 is uploaded and the preface is fixed. Both are in the Magic Window
"The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and his right to these peculiarities.”
― Vasily Grossman
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks! That was a quick couple of sections!
Laurie Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Chapter 2 is up
chocoholic wrote:Thanks! That was a quick couple of sections!

I have a fair amount of free time for the next month; trying to pump them out while I can :D
― Vasily Grossman
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Sections 2 and 3 have the same file names.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Paul, I assume you have no objection to craigdav1 being the DPL :) (your book is in in good hands -- er, ears). Dave, I've entered you in the database.

There are several files numbered 2 in the uploader directory and a couple of files numbered 3. One of the 2's has been renamed by the uploader software (Paul, this happens by design when you upload a file with the same name -- it's so that when you upload a corrected file, it can keep the name format required by the cataloging software.) The uploader has unhelpfully given all of the files numbered 2 the same time signature, so I can't tell which one is the newest. Paul, are these the right section 2 and 3 files?
http://uploads.librivox.org/chocoholic/critiqueofdogmatictheology_02_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
http://uploads.librivox.org/chocoholic/critiqueofdogmatictheology_03_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
Or is the correct section 2 file one of the other ones?
Laurie Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

chocoholic wrote:Paul, I assume you have no objection to craigdav1 being the DPL :) (your book is in in good hands -- er, ears). Dave, I've entered you in the database.

There are several files numbered 2 in the uploader directory and a couple of files numbered 3. One of the 2's has been renamed by the uploader software (Paul, this happens by design when you upload a file with the same name -- it's so that when you upload a corrected file, it can keep the name format required by the cataloging software.) The uploader has unhelpfully given all of the files numbered 2 the same time signature, so I can't tell which one is the newest. Paul, are these the right section 2 and 3 files?
http://uploads.librivox.org/chocoholic/critiqueofdogmatictheology_02_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
http://uploads.librivox.org/chocoholic/critiqueofdogmatictheology_03_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
Or is the correct section 2 file one of the other ones?
Sorry, I messed up the filename on one (it was -128kb instead of _128kb) so I fixed the filename and reuploaded it. Content should be identical. And yes, of course! Thanks for helping out, Dave.
― Vasily Grossman
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Great!

Moving to Solos now.
Laurie Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK.
The intro and the beginning text of this section is missing.
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

craigdav1 wrote:2 PL OK.
The intro and the beginning text of this section is missing.

Damn, Audacity crashed while I was exporting and I thought it managed to recover the whole thing. Turns out it didn't :(

It's re-recorded now, but this time I didn't read out the citations of most of the Bible verses. Do you think that was a good idea? I thought having them kind of messed with the flow of the prose, but I can go back in and re-add them if you think it'd be better.
― Vasily Grossman