[COMPLETE] Poetry of Thomas Moore-annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Poetry of Thomas Moore by Thomas Moore (1779 - 1852).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/poetry-of-thomas-moore-by-thomas-moore/
The Dubliner, Thomas Moore, born in 1779 was a poet, composer, musician, and writer.
He is most famous for the 10 volume work "Irish Melodies" published between 1807 and 1834 which consists of 130 of his poems set to music, much of it based on old Irish airs. "The Last Rose of Summer" and "The Minstrel Boy" are two of the most well known. Many of these "Melodies" are included in this collection.
He is perhaps most infamous for having burned, at the request of the Byron family, the manuscript of Byron's memoirs which Bryon had left to him for publication after his death.
During his lifetime, his reputation as a poet placed him alongside Byron and Scott and Shelly. His narrative poem Lalla Rookh for example was possibly the most translated poem of the time and earned him £3000, what was till then the highest price paid by an English publisher for a poem. This collection contains extracts from the poem and without the linking or "framing" prose sections. A lovely edition of the full poem can be found here https://archive.org/details/lallrookhanorien00mooruoft with illustrations by Sir John Tenniel.
Moore was an Irish Nationalist and turned down the post of "Irish Poet Laureate" as he felt it would require him to tone down his outspoken Irish national politics. Despite this, he counted the Regent - later King George IV as one of his patrons.
Moore died on February 25, 1852 and though much of his work is now neglected, his enduring legacy is that his "Melodies" which were translated into practically every European language popularized Irish Music throughout the world.
( Noel Badrian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/poetrythomasmoo01moorgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: short poems, narrative poems, moore's melodies, lalla rookh

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Poetry of Thomas Moore, by Thomas Moore. [title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "section [number] of Poetry of Thomas Moore by Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • "[Poem title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Poem"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Poetry of Thomas Moore, by Thomas Moore. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename poetryofthomasmoore_###_moore.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. poetryofthomasmoore_001_moore.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Thomas Moore
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Poetry of Thomas Moore

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by NoelBadrian on May 5th, 2017, 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Oh dear a poetry project I can't resist... :D

I'd be very happy to be your DPL again for this one.

Cheers,
Betty
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And I'll set it up. Back soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done - happy recording :D

Anne
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Goodness me, that was a quicker response than I expected!
Thank you both. :D
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello Betty and Anne,
I am a bit in a quandry about how to put the "Intro and Outro". The book has 4 or possibly 5? "Chapters" with
2 to 5 sub-chapters or parts and then the actual "sections" or poems.
Do you think I need to say something like
"Section 1 of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], "
"Chapter 1, Irish Melodies, - Oh! Blame not the Bard
-------
"Section 40 of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Chapter 1, National Airs, - Oft in the Stilly Night
And for the sake of cataloguing, should the "Chapter" and "Part" be somehow shown in the titles? I have indicated where these groupings are in the "Notes" but am not sure if this is enough.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The notes field doesn't show in the catalogue - it's just for production notes .
It's difficult to say exactly because you have 2 different types of verses . Personally with the earlier ones I wouldn't bother with the what seem to me artificial headings - like "national poems" etc unless you planned to read more than 1 poem per section. Are you ?

What were you planning to do with Llalla Rookh etc?

Anne
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
I think perhaps we can drop the Chapter designation and just go with the subheadings?
I think I would like to at least keep the headings "Irish Melodies, National Airs and Sacred Songs" as these were the names of the original collections in which they were published.
My inclination is to read each poem separately even though some are very short.
With Lalla Rookh, as it is not the complete poem (Also: The Loves of the Angels etc.), I think I will read each section separately as it is given in the Text.
I will have a look at his collected works volumes to check which should be grouped together.
https://archive.org/stream/poeticalworksoft00mooreth#page/178/mode/1up - is useful.

Perhaps like this?

"Section 1 of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Irish Melodies, - Oh! Blame not the Bard
End of Section 1
====================
"Section 93 of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Lalla Rookh, The Veiled Prophet ..., The Harem
End of Section 93
====================
"Section 120 of Poetry of Thomas Moore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
The Light of the Harem, The Georgian's Song
End of Lalla Rookh
=====================

Noel
Noel's Recordings

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That sounds fine :D .
Anne
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello Betty,
Well, here we go, with the Introduction ready for your attention.

Anne, the UPLOADER link is not showing up in the first post - not a problem really as I can work around it. Also, I miss-counted and there are three spare sections at the end of the list.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

? the link shows for me , maybe some temp server glitch ?

Anne
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

annise wrote:? the link shows for me , maybe some temp server glitch ?

Anne
Hi Anne,
It is fine now. The text was there but did not show as a hyperlink - i forgot I could edit the thing and just added a space after the colon to make it show up :D
Noel
Noel's Recordings

libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi Noel,
The introduction is PL OK!

A rather lengthy introduction :!: I'll prefer the actual poems. :)

Betty
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Betty,
Well, here is the first poem for PL.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Ahh Section 1 is PL OK! :clap:

Marvelous!

Betty