COMPLETE-SOLO Impressions of Theophrastus Such -George Eliot

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

Impressions of Theophrastus Such by George Eliot (1819 - 1880).

Impressions of Theophrastus Such is a work of fiction by George Eliot, first published in 1879. It was Eliot's last published writing and her most experimental, taking the form of a series of literary essays by an imaginary minor scholar whose eccentric character is revealed through his work. (Summary from Wikipedia)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/impressions-of-theophrastus-such-by-george-eliot/
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10762
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Keywords that describe the book: philosophical novel, psychological fiction, intellectual humor

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Impressions of Theophrastus Such. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Impressions of Theophrastus Such, by George Eliot. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Impressions of Theophrastus Such by George Eliot. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Impressions of Theophrastus Such, by George Eliot."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename theophrastussuch_##_eliot_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. theophrastussuch_01_eliot_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: George Eliot
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Impressions of Theophrastus Such

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
I will MC this for you. Is Donna Seaman's summary in the public domain? I will PM you with information for the MW.
You can stay on the launchpad for a few days to find a proof listener.
Enjoy,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I'd be interested in being DPL, please.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Josh and Kristin,
I am moving you to Going Solo.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Josh,
You can post your files this way and state the time. Update the magic window with the URL and the length of the recording, too.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/impressionsoftheophrastussuch_01_eliot_128kb.mp3
29:40.
Cheers!
Amy
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Chapters 1-4 are PL OK!
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

Thanks, Kristin.

What do you think? It's strange writing, a bit stylized in the run-on sentences. Full of astute social commentary. Not exactly fiction.
My favorite so far was Chapter 3, which echoes so much of what I have seen in the backbiting world of academia.

Chapter 5 is now uploaded. I'm going to be away for 2 weeks, and there won't be more forthcoming for awhile.

- Josh
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Chapter 5 is PL OK!

It sounds like Eliot was just writing a stream of consciousness. Like whatever popped into her head got put onto paper. It's almost difficult to PL because it can sound like it's so jumpy that at times I wonder if something was inadvertently edited out.

Regardless, I am enjoying it.
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

I've uploaded chapters 6-9.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/impressionsoftheophrastussuch_06_eliot.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/impressionsoftheophrastussuch_07_eliot.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/impressionsoftheophrastussuch_08_eliot.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/impressionsoftheophrastussuch_09_eliot.mp3

Note: Toward the end of Chapter 9, there is a place where text is duplicated in the printed source. Midway through a paragraph, at a line end, the flow shifts back to the middle of the previous paragraph. In my reading, I've omitted the duplicated text. Maybe MrsHand can take a look and see that the sentence flow is logical, and that no text has been omitted, please.

(I've been away in California, helping my mother get settled into rehab after a stroke. I'll be traveling in Switzerland next week and China after that, but I'm taking a microphone with me and hope to continue the project in June and July.)
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

I've uploaded Chapter 10. I'm in French Switzerland, and had fun with the translations, even if my accent isn't perfect. (Does anyone know what a "pitroleuse" is?)
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

PL Notes:

Section 6 - missing Outro.

Chapter 7 - PL OK!

Chapter 8 - throat clear @ 01:08.

Chapter 9 - PL OK!

Chapter 10 - PL OK!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

mitteldorf wrote:I've uploaded Chapter 10. I'm in French Switzerland, and had fun with the translations, even if my accent isn't perfect. (Does anyone know what a "pitroleuse" is?)

It must be this: petroleuse-a woman or girl who uses petrol to set fire to a building or other property; specifically any of the women who set fire to public buildings in Paris during the Commune in May 1871.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A9troleuses
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

Chapters 11, 12 and 13 uploaded and ready for proofing.
I'm in Beijing (!) for the next couple of months, and don't have access to the original Audacity files, which I'll need to make requested corrections. This will have to wait until last week of August.

The throat clear sound was part of the dramatic reading, introducing a new voice within the narrative. I'll take it out if you think it doesn't work.

- Josh
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

mitteldorf wrote:Chapters 11, 12 and 13 uploaded and ready for proofing.
I'm in Beijing (!) for the next couple of months, and don't have access to the original Audacity files, which I'll need to make requested corrections. This will have to wait until last week of August.

The throat clear sound was part of the dramatic reading, introducing a new voice within the narrative. I'll take it out if you think it doesn't work.

- Josh
I didn't realize you were going for dramatic effect. Given that explanation, I'm perfectly fine with it remaining.