[solo] Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill ( - 0) and others.

This book can now be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/charlie-and-his-kitten-topsy-by-helen-hill/
A darling story of little Charlie and his adventures with cats and kittens and how he became many things. Also how the kitten Topsy, unhappy with being a kitten and having his face washed, tries different life styles with different animals but finally makes the right choice. Imagination is a large part of these stories and they will be listened to with great enjoyment by many children - and adults probably! ( Phil Chenevert)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/charliehiskitten00maxw
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: hj6miD2C
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Helen Hill) : n/a
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Violet Maxwell) : n/a
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1922
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Family

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Charlie and His Kitten Topsy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Charlie and His Kitten Topsy, by Helen Hill. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Charlie and His Kitten Topsy, by Helen Hill. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      charlieandhiskittentopsy_##_hill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. charlieandhiskittentopsy_01_hill128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
linny

Post by linny »

Phil,
This looks adorable. I wish I could find books like this for a solo. How do you do it? My process is combing through titles, get distracted down one bunny hole or another, finally realize how much time I have put in, get frustrated, give up for a few months before repeating the process. :roll:

May I get us started with chapter 1, please?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote:Phil,
This looks adorable. I wish I could find books like this for a solo. How do you do it? My process is combing through titles, get distracted down one bunny hole or another, finally realize how much time I have put in, get frustrated, give up for a few months before repeating the process. :roll:

May I get us started with chapter 1, please?
Hi Linny! Actually I got this title from suggestions forum. Carolin has put many many great suggestions there so she did the work for us. [ Thank you Carolin!] Anyway, why not do this one as a solo? You would do a great job and it IS a nifty bunch of stories. Just let me know and I can easily switch it to solo.
linny

Post by linny »

Suggestions forum...of course. That's silly of me. I've found a few projects to DPL that way.

It would likely take me 3 months to complete this on my own. School stuff keeps getting in the way of free time. As a group project we can probably get it in the catalog before then so I'll leave it up to you. If you don't mind a bit of a delay then I'm happy to take it. It really does fit what I have been looking for.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote:Suggestions forum...of course. That's silly of me. I've found a few projects to DPL that way.

It would likely take me 3 months to complete this on my own. School stuff keeps getting in the way of free time. As a group project we can probably get it in the catalog before then so I'll leave it up to you. If you don't mind a bit of a delay then I'm happy to take it. It really does fit what I have been looking for.
It is all yours linny! Three months? Four months? 8 months? A year? no problem . I will put you in as BC and make it a solo but leave it in the Launch Pad to see if a DPL may show up. I predict this will give you some refreshing fun breaks from hectic life. How could Charlie and his kitten not be fun? :D

EDIT: I will change the first post to let you use the shorter intro after he first section but you knew all about that, eh?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL? Well, I'd be happy to for Linny!
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

silverquill wrote:DPL? Well, I'd be happy to for Linny!
Well, Hot Ziggidy Dog! That would be very nice Larry. Thanks!
Moving this to Going Solo. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you both!

Phil, well, this is one way to commit to a solo. :lol: Thank you, I think Charlie is just what I need. Don't worry about editing the first post for the shorter intro. I think Larry and I can make due.

Larry, give me a couple of weeks to get started. Term paper is due this weekend...I should probably stop thinking about it and actually start writing something. :oops: Oh, and feel free to note pronunciation or anything else you think could be improved.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ah, term papers! I remember those :mrgreen:

Back in my day, it was real cut-and-paste --- like with paper, scissors and tape -- to assemble a rough draft, long nights over my Royal portable typewriter and a stack of erasable bond. In medical school it was stacks of journals on microfilm and microfiche, real high tech stuff. But, it's what finally gets down on paper that matters, and that internal process hasn't change; it's called thinking!

Follow your own pace on this, and I'll keep and active bookmark whenever you're ready.
~ Larry
linny

Post by linny »

I have to say I’m not a fan of text on Archive but I was persistent and step one of the process is complete. Chapters are all printed. Yes, I realize that isn't environmentally friendly of me but it’s my process and I do recycle. :-P

I will be using the following for intros and endings.

START of chapter 1:
Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org.
Chapter 1 – How Charlie Made Topsy Love Him.

Subsequent chapters:
Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
Chapter #, title

END of recording:
"End of [Chapter #]"

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Charlie and His Kitten Topsy, by Helen Hill. Read to you by, Linette Geisel, Month, Year"
linny

Post by linny »

Returning student here preparing for a second career. I certainly remember research before the internet.

I did however walk out of an interview test once because I had become accustomed to a word processor and couldn't remember how to set the tabs up on a typewriter. The setup was part of the timed typing test so it was useless to continue. :oops:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote:I have to say I’m not a fan of text on Archive but I was persistent and step one of the process is complete. Chapters are all printed. Yes, I realize that isn't environmentally friendly of me but it’s my process and I do recycle. :-P

I will be using the following for intros and endings.

START of chapter 1:
Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org.
Chapter 1 – How Charlie Made Topsy Love Him.

Subsequent chapters:
Charlie and His Kitten Topsy by Helen Hill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
Chapter #, title

END of recording:
"End of [Chapter #]"

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Charlie and His Kitten Topsy, by Helen Hill. Read to you by, Linette Geisel, Month, Year"
:clap: Excellent and a good start. I agree with everything. I am not a fan of IA text also but sometime it is necessary ......
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

All looks good! IA is a pain most of the time. I routinely cut and paste into a document then read from my tablet. But, yes, sometimes we need it.

Yeah, I've done the back to school, second career journey. Probably on my fourth or fifth "career," in my so-called retirement :roll: Always something new and surprising.
~ Larry
linny

Post by linny »

OK, Larry. Here we go. First couple of chapters are up. Be truthful. This is pretty close to how I would read if I were with the child. Too much? I can take it down.

Be careful if you use headphone. I do tend to set the volume high. When it gets derived at Archive it somehow gets dropped by 3dB.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/charlieandhiskittentopsy_01_hill_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/charlieandhiskittentopsy_02_hill_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Larry,
I have next week off so I should be able to make significant progress on this. Do you think you'll have time to check one of the chapters for style before I get too far ahead?