[Complete] A Flurry in Diamonds by Thomas E. Price - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

A Flurry in Diamonds by Thomas E. Price ( - 0).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-flurry-in-diamonds-by-thomas-e-price/

The diamonds are gone--vanished! But who could have taken them? And how? With each plot twist author Thomas E. Price (writing as Amos Chiptree) takes the reader (and the diamonds) off in a new direction. ( Tom Penn)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/flurryindiamonds00pric
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Thomas E. Price) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Tom Penn Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of A Flurry in Diamonds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "A Flurry in Diamonds, by Amos Chiptree. Section [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of A Flurry in Diamonds by Amos Chiptree. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Section [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of A Flurry in Diamonds, by Amos Chiptree. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename flurryindiamonds_##_price_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flurryindiamonds_01_price_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Thomas E. Price
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: A Flurry in Diamonds

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Penumbra on April 24th, 2017, 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi Tom.
The MW is all set.
It looks like this is your first time as a BC (I've added you to the list of BCs). You access the MW the same way you have done for PLing. If you have questions about filling it in, please ask.

Do you have a DPL set up? If not, we should add a tilde to advertise.
Lynne
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Lynne,
I'll be DPLing for Tom's first solo. :clap:

Tom,
Are you certain you want Word Perfect? It's a little unusual in a novel.

For standard PL we still point out if anything changes intent. With Word Perfect we note all deviations from the text. For example "who established a business many years ago", if the word "many" was missing from the recording in word perfect I would note it. With standard I wouldn't.

So, I'm confused when you say you want word perfect except for minor errors which don't change intent. I'm not clear on how you are differentiating this definition of word perfect and what is standard PL.
Last edited by linny on March 31st, 2017, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Linny added as DPL. Moving to Going Solo.
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Thank you both! I know I'm in good hands now. :D
Lynne: I am totally confused about the name of the author of this book. Archive.org lists him as Thomas E. Price. But the book itself says the author is "Amos Chiptree." in quotes. Now Amos Chiptree is obviously an anagram of Thomas E Price and I can believe they are the same person. But I don't know how we should list it and which name I should use in my intros. The booksellers' magazines of the time use Chiptree. So far I have been unable to find out anything about this Thomas Price. Do you have an opinion? :help:
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I would go with what is on the book. In the catalog, I can list him under his real name, with his pen name as a pseudonym and both will be searchable. Do you know his dates?
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

linny wrote:Hi Lynne,
I'll be DPLing for Tom's first solo. :clap:

Tom,
Are you certain you want Word Perfect? It's a little unusual in a novel.

For standard PL we still point out if anything changes intent. With Word Perfect we note all deviations from the text. For example "who established a business many years ago", if the word "many" was missing from the recording in word perfect I would note it. With standard I wouldn't.

So, I'm confused when you say you want word perfect except for minor errors which don't change intent. I'm not clear on how you are differentiating this definition of word perfect and what is standard PL.
I guess the problem I have with standard is that it says comparing the recording to the text is not necessary and I wanted a DPL willing to do text comparison. Now that I know I have you ( :clap: ) I can change it to standard, knowing that you will do text comparison and tell me when I wander off. (I'm actually DPL on a word perfect novel right now and it is refreshing not to have to make any judgement calls--but then the reader on that project makes about one mistake per chapter so it's a snap).
I'd also like you to tell me if my recordings sound "off" (whatever that means to you). I have changed computers and setups and I haven't yet figured out if it sounds as smooth (I think part of the problem is faulty headphones; I'm still sorting it out).
Thanks in advance for chipping in. I hope school's under control. :wink:
Tom Penn
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Lynnet wrote:I would go with what is on the book. In the catalog, I can list him under his real name, with his pen name as a pseudonym and both will be searchable. Do you know his dates?
No, I haven't found anything on him yet. I will continue to poke around and see if I can track him down. Maybe somebody are archive can help me. :hmm:
Edit: and thanks for the suggestion of using the pseudonym. Makes perfect sense. :thumbs:
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Penumbra wrote:
Lynnet wrote:I would go with what is on the book. In the catalog, I can list him under his real name, with his pen name as a pseudonym and both will be searchable. Do you know his dates?
No, I haven't found anything on him yet. I will continue to poke around and see if I can track him down. Maybe somebody are archive can help me. :hmm:
Edit: and thanks for the suggestion of using the pseudonym. Makes perfect sense. :thumbs:
I've entered the info we have. Tricia (usually her, anyway) always goes through double checking new authors added, and has extra resources I don't know about to find out interesting tidbits. Like when they died. Don't sweat it... the book is old enough (1888) we can say it is PD. We only have to worry if the author died recently (for Europe/Australia etc.)
linny

Post by linny »

I understand what you want and I'm all set. In the future I suggest listing the type of PL as Special and note you would like the PLer to follow along with the text.

As a rule that's what I do. There are a couple of projects or chapters I don't but for me reading along keeps me focused. Anyway, I'm ready when you are! :thumbs:
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

OK, finally I have a tiny bit to listen to. I've been battling new-computer issues but I think things are finally sorted.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/flurryindiamonds_01_price_128kb.mp3

Linny: do you want the link in these posts or are you happy to get it from the MW?

Lynne: should I be filling in any ID3 info? It seems like the projects I've worked on lately recommend leaving all those fields blank.
Tom Penn
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Penumbra wrote: Lynne: should I be filling in any ID3 info? It seems like the projects I've worked on lately recommend leaving all those fields blank.
That is your choice. It is all filled in automatically at cataloguing (and anything you put in is discarded) so there is no point technically; but some readers like to for their own record-keeping.
linny

Post by linny »

Link in the MW is fine. Posting something in the thread to let me know a new chapter is ready would be very helpful. Anything really, even an icon. Just something to pop the thread up on the list. I try and double check my pl list every day but that doesn't always happen.

Today was crazy and I'm just checking in before bed. I'll listen in tomorrow. Congratulations on getting started! :clap:
linny

Post by linny »

0:20 "A Flurry in Diamonds, by Thomas E. Price. [Chapter]"
I hear Amos Chiptree

Amos Chiptree corresponds with what the cover page says but not the project. I believe it’s a pseudonym but should it be listed as Chiptree?

I noticed chapter 2 and some of the others are also very short. If you wish you may merge them into longer files. Completely up to you.