[COMPLETE] Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

It does make it easier to squeeze in a chapter or two when they are short, I agree.
Chapter 5 has been posted. Let's see what happens now!
Thanks! :)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

When I heard this:
They were tall and spare; they were clad in dingy robes; on their heads were turbans of the same sad color. They were dark of feature, with thin faces and ragged beards.
I whooped: Knew it ! The Tibetans are there :mrgreen: Well it was obvious they would appear at some point. That does not mean necessarily that they are the bad guys though...it could still be a red herring planted by the author to distract from the real enemy.

Actually Marion is back in the picture, with that one sentence from Ralph: "If I told anybody here whom I suspected they would rise like one person, and hurl me into the moat." Who else but Marion could be the suspect in that case ? She who everybody loves so much. Or maybe even Vera. But my money is more on Marion.

Oh my...you will probably laugh tears here if I am so far off the right track. You do know the entire story already, don't you ? Well, I'm gonna plod on bravely, let's see if I prove more a Sherlock or a Watson in the end.

Chapter 5 is PL ok. I'm still waiting for that one error you will make at one point.... or maybe not.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Ah, the Tibetans. Well, there is still lots that will happen along the way. The Ravenspurs aren't in the clear yet by a long shot. 8-)

Chapter 6 has been posted. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Ah, the Tibetans. Well, there is still lots that will happen along the way. The Ravenspurs aren't in the clear yet by a long shot. 8-)
did I say they were in the clear ? In fact I said Marion was not off the hook yet. The way she behaves in this chapter reinforces my suspicions again. Although Ralph kinda assures her she would have nothing to fear, but he might have said that only to surprise her unawares later on. :roll: I also noticed you tried to keep both their speeches neutral in a way as to not give anything away beforehand. ;)

Well at least Tchigorsky and Ralph are in contact now. I hope the next meeting will shed a bit more light on that relationship.

As for Chapter 6: it's PL ok again. :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Quite true. I have not yet finished reading the entire book, so given my tendency toward inaccuracy in predicting the outcome of most mysteries, I merely try to remain as neutral as possible. Or perhaps I should say that my reading is always neutral.

I like the way you get into the characters as you read/listen. It must be difficult to resist the temptation to read ahead. :?:

Chapter 7 has been posted. Enjoy! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:I have not yet finished reading the entire book
:shock: oh so you don't know the outcome either ?
I like the way you get into the characters as you read/listen. It must be difficult to resist the temptation to read ahead. :?:
no I want to preserve the suspense, I don't feel the urge of reading ahead. The hardest part is to not accidentally see the name of a later chapter in the MW LOL I wouldn't want to read anything like Chapter 20: "Marion busted". Or something similar ;)

Chapter 7 PL ok.

So new characters show up. Seems like Marion is out of the picture yet again, since this Princess Zara has been mentioned now. Maybe that is her mother though... The vision of a wire helmet is gonna haunt me tonight. I have a vivid imagination how this torture instrument is cutting with wires into the faces of victims :help:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Yesterday I finished reading the rest of the book. Interesting. But not to worry, no clues shall you receive from me. :hmm:

Chapter 8 has been posted.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Yesterday I finished reading the rest of the book. Interesting. But not to worry, no clues shall you receive from me. :hmm:
well I sincerely hope so ! Wouldn't want any spoilers.

This Princess Zara is quite a dangerous woman. But I liked Tchigorsky's ruse about the letters in a safe. I only hope it wasn't a bluff and he really wrote these letters already. Better safe than sorry.

The three mystery words are very intriguing...could they be "Marion Ravenspur's mother" ? :mrgreen: I know I'm obsessed with that idea. Well so far it's my best guess. That's why she would destroy the family, so her daughter, and also her, would own the fortune and have a stronghold as well in the West as in the East. I bet World-Domination is on her mind.

It would also explain the mysterious third man that got mentioned in this chapter, the one who found out about the mystery and the key. That would have been her husband then, a Ravenspur, who was the first to die, by her hand probably, to keep the secret safe. How they got Marion out of her clutches though, I have not quite figured out yet. There might be a flaw in my reasoning.

This time I found two small errors, one of them may be trivial but the other would be better corrected, in my opinion:

> at 5:32: "as she dropped gracefully into a seat" - you say "drooped", which sounds a bit strange in this context

> at 8:36: "Be warned, Dr. Tchigorsky" - you say "Mister", not sure how accurate you want this

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good analysis!

I agree that both errors definitely deserved correction. Drooped would be entirely inappropriate under these circumstances. I have no idea why or how I botched that one. And I have given Tchigorsky his proper title.

Chapter 8 has been patched and re-uploaded.

Excellent job! Thanks for pointing these flagrant errors out. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Good analysis!
sounds like there might be an unspoken "but wrong" behind it ;) well it's early days :mrgreen: I won't give up
Chapter 8 has been patched and re-uploaded.
perfectly edited, wouldn't hear a difference in sound or anything :thumbs: PL ok now.
Excellent job! Thanks for pointing these flagrant errors out. :thumbs:
well I was happy to finally have something to point out LOL at least I know my DPL work is not in vain

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Onward!

Chapter 9 has been posted.
Thanks!! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ralph is becoming more and more of a mystery. He always seems to have a secret cure for the curse. I only wonder why it always has to stay a secret :hmm: Why not tell the entire family about the antidote ? The only reason could be: he doesn't trust them all, there's a mole in their midst. And even if I repeat myself...his behaviour towards Marion is suspicious and revealing :mrgreen:

Excellent chapter, flawless again: PL ok.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 10 has been uploaded, posted, and is ready for a listen. Enjoy!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aha, Marion is love with Ralph and therefore jealous. Yet another angle I had not considered. But Ralph does not seem to suspect her after all. :hmm: She is involved somehow, but maybe not strictly speaking the guilty party.

I found two tiny discrepancies which I wanted to put to you for consideration:

> at 4:50: "It might be unworthy of you, my dear" - you say "to you", which may be a tiny difference in meaning, but maybe it doesn't matter too much

> at 13:45: "I could not do without you, darling" - you say "I could do nothing without you", which deviates from what Vera is replying to him directly after. Because of Vera's reply, this sounds a bit strange, otherwise it would probably not have mattered

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good catches! Both worthy of correction in my opinion. I appreciate your pointing them out to me.
On a similar subject, although I may not have mentioned it earlier, if you uncover any flaws in pronunciation, I would definitely like to have them pointed out to me.
I could tell some stories about pronunciations which I have botched over the years .....

Chapter 10 has been patched and re-uploaded.
Thanks again !! :)