[COMPLETE] Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

The Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White (1859 - 1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-mystery-of-the-ravenspurs-by-fred-m-white/
The Ravenspurs have for generations resided quietly in prosperity and comfort at their seaside castle. But the clan is suddenly besieged with strange happenings which are dwindling the population of the family to only a few which remain, and those few find themselves in fear of becoming the very last of the powerful family if the cause of their untimely deaths and disappearances is not uncovered soon. It will take a great deal of detective work and a touch of travel to help unravel the mystery of the Ravenspurs. (Roger Melin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48882
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Crime & Mystery Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, Detective, Mystery, India, tibet

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Mystery of the Ravenspurs. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Mystery of the Ravenspurs, by Fred M. White. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mystery of the Ravenspurs, by Fred M. White. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename mysteryoftheravenspurs_##_white_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mysteryoftheravenspurs_01_white.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Roger on July 7th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can set this up for you - back soon

Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this sounds like a very interesting mystery story. Do you already have a DPL lined up ? If not, I would like to volunteer :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Sonia, no DPL yet, so if you are still interested .... welcome aboard! Glad to have you along. :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That was quick , MW awaits.

Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thanks, looking forward to it :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Time to get the ball rolling.

Chapter 1 has been posted.
Thanks! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ah, finally the first chapter ! I was so looking forward to starting this book.

And so far I am not disappointed. Not only is the story very well written and the descriptions well elaborated without being boring, but I also love your quiet way of narrating and you agreeable deep voice. It all melts into a perfect blend and while listening, I did not regret for one second that I offered to DPL this. :9:

Concerning the recording: I found no textual errors whatsoever, all perfect. So I can mark it PL ok. A good start. :thumbs:

Only one thing I would like to mention, just in case: the intro disclaimer is not 100% as stated in the MW, but it's equally good, so I suppose it doesn't matter, since this is your solo (and not a group project) you can do as you wish, I guess.

Looking forward to Chapter 2. I won't sneak ahead, I want to preserve the suspense. But this won't keep me from making assumptions. :mrgreen: I love a good mystery story. My first suspicion of course was that somebody from the family might commit the murders to get to the family fortune (maybe even Marion ! :shock: )

But this is too cliché, so I am expecting, it's nothing like that at all. I need more clues...

Good luck for the next chapter :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Some folks do sneak ahead, but I respect your choice not to do so. If it were me, I would do the same as you - I would not want to peek further.
I'm fascinated that you are already playing the role of detective. Good for you! :D We'll see as we progress whether your detective prowess comes to light.
And thank you for your kind words.

Chapter 2 has been posted. Enjoy! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:I'm fascinated that you are already playing the role of detective. Good for you! :D We'll see as we progress whether your detective prowess comes to light.
I love detective novels and actually usually I am quite good at solving the riddle. Having shamelessly bragged of this now, I am sure I will not be able to solve this one LOL Well, also I don't know the author, whether I need to look for a supernatural outcome or a more human one. So this will be more difficult to guess. But maybe along the way, I'll find out.

Chapter 2 is PL ok. The dream of Ralph returning is a bit supernatural already, unless Vera is complotting with Ralph...you see, I trust nobody LOL

Well done, and I am waiting for Chapter 3. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

btw I forgot to mention, I seriously think that the mysterious "disgraceful" thing which Ralph did in his life has something to do with the family curse.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

You are obviously far better than I am at solving most detective cases. :roll: My theories rarely prove to be accurate. But I try.

Chapter 3 has been posted. Perhaps it may shed a sliver of light on Ralph. Or, perhaps not. :wink: Enjoy!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay a new chapter. :9: Ok, so old Ravenspur did not die that night. This makes him a suspect in my eyes already LOL He could have faked the attempted murder to make himself look innocent. Although I don't really believe in that theory.

Marion is still not off the hook, after all, she was standing right in front of the door when it happened. :| and she seems to be more cheerful than the others, not bothered about the death threat hanging over them.

Ralph sounds like a psychopath in his final statement, and I am sure he knows something about that strange smell, because he knew exactly what to do to get rid of the danger. What was it anyway, carbon monoxide poisoning ? :hmm: Well it does make sense to open the window of course.
Roger wrote:You are obviously far better than I am at solving most detective cases. :roll: My theories rarely prove to be accurate. But I try.

Chapter 3 has been posted. Perhaps it may shed a sliver of light on Ralph. Or, perhaps not. :wink: Enjoy!
hehe, no, I am still in the dark and so far nobody has been eliminated as suspect. There are still many chapters to follow, it would be a poor mystery if all the clues would show up already in the first 3. No I'm enjoying this detective work. I do hope to find out more about what happened to Ralph in India. His remark that there would be "only one person" whom he would tell about his plight, is probably meant to be Marion's father (or maybe her mother), because they are rooted in India as well, and it would account for Marion's strange reaction to his statement. The question here is: is she really an orphan ? :hmm:

Well, I need to stay vigilant. Looking forward to the next part. Oh and this chapter was PL ok. :) You make my job easy here.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

You have some great theories to work with! Now, let's see how they develop. Some interesting info in chapter 4, I think you may find.

Chapter 4 has been posted.
Thanks! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:You have some great theories to work with! Now, let's see how they develop. Some interesting info in chapter 4, I think you may find.
ok...this Tchigorsky is important. As soon as I heard his description and that he also only could "tell one man" about his adventure, I thought, either that man is Ralph Ravenspur, or both mean the same, but a third man. Well, this mystery is already solved in this chapter: Ralph and Tchigorsky broke into Lassa, found out some secret, got caught and maimed and came away with their life. Now the curse is following them as long as they have that secret, I suppose.

So I deduce from now on that it is something supernatural going on here. (Marion seems to be out of the picture now) I bet, soon there's going to be some mysterious Tibetans showing up in the next chapter or two ;)

Chapter 4 is PL ok. :thumbs: I love it that the chapters are so nicely bite-size small. I was looking for such a book to read as Solo myself, but only found books that have very long chapters (which I don't like to record).

Eagerly awaiting the next part of the puzzle.

Sonia