SOLO The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: August 4th, 2018, 4:50 am
But for now...we finish up in Brazil.

22:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_12_bourne.mp3
PL OK. But if I understood correctly, being dependent on wind and currents, Cochrane had to head for the nearest friendly port - which was Portsmouth!

Best,

Barbara
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:59 am It turns out Ch 13 has a couple of pages in French, and my French is so bad...as you will hear in an upcoming chapter!
So, if I wanted to ask around for a French speaker to do either the whole chapter, or just the letter (they choose) should I ask in "Readers Wanted: Languages other than English "?
so here is the French letter, I hope this is how you wanted it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_letter.mp3
Recording time: 2:33 min.

If you need any further help with French, let me know. :)

So I'm curious: did Cochrane accept the Greek offer to help in their independence war ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Kitty wrote: August 18th, 2018, 1:55 am
Timothy Ferguson wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:59 am It turns out Ch 13 has a couple of pages in French, and my French is so bad...as you will hear in an upcoming chapter!
So, if I wanted to ask around for a French speaker to do either the whole chapter, or just the letter (they choose) should I ask in "Readers Wanted: Languages other than English "?

So I'm curious: did Cochrane accept the Greek offer to help in their independence war ?

Sonia
I had a listen. What a pretty accent, Sonia. It's also PL OK to insert in your section, Timothy.

Best,

Barbara
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

barbara2 wrote: August 18th, 2018, 3:13 am I had a listen. What a pretty accent, Sonia. It's also PL OK to insert in your section, Timothy.
oh thank you Barbara, that was fast :9: yes one can notice I'm not a native speaker, but the pronunciation is all correct and this is what counts. And someone once told me, an accent can be charming :D

glad I was of help :)

Sonia
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Kitty wrote: August 18th, 2018, 1:55 am

Sonia
Hi, sorry for the delay: medical troubles.

Thank you so much!

As to Cochrane's activity in Greece, he doesn't actually have a big battle, movie style. One of his subordinates does have a battle and destroy some Turkish ships. At about this point, the British, French, Russians and Turks say to each other "Can we afford to have a mercenary navy wandering around the Black Sea?" and sat down to sort things out.

From the British perspective, Cochrane has developed a super-weapon, presented it to the Admiralty, and been told to never tell anyone else about this, ever, and not use the technology at any time. They are worried that he's so annoyed at them and so broke that he might use it, so, again, they want to sort things out diplomatically. They are worried that if the rest of the world reverse engineer the weapon, the British Navy will be far less effective.

(The Cochrane super-weapon was an entire ship rigged to explode, with the hull re-enforced to make the charge directional, like a mortar, so that it scatters flaming debris across a fort or fleet. These are really cheap to make out of old ships you can't use for anything else anymore.)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: August 20th, 2018, 5:07 pm(The Cochrane super-weapon was an entire ship rigged to explode, with the hull re-enforced to make the charge directional, like a mortar, so that it scatters flaming debris across a fort or fleet. These are really cheap to make out of old ships you can't use for anything else anymore.)
wow, sounds like the atom bomb of olden times :shock: Quite effective surely. I like the fact that the diplomats decided it was better to sort it out in discussions than using this highly destructive force. It was the more humane thing to do.

Thanks for the background info. And I hope you are feeling better. Good luck with the rest of the project and let me know if you encounter any other letter. I would also be available for German and Italian letters, just so you know. :lol:

Sonia
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:29 am Hi,
A longer one this time...
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_13_bourne.mp3
40:05
And PL OK, which is great, considering what a long section is was.

There were several mentions of Navarino and the name conjures up a memory that there was a Battle of Navarino. I'm not sure where Navarino is but I suspect we're going to find out soon and that our hero will be there ...a quick google gave a promising date.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:10 pm This is incredibly long...
Ch14
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_14_bourne.mp3
48:20
Hi Timothy,

I was settling down this damp Sunday morning to do some proof listening but:

"The requested URL /uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_14_bourne.mp3 was not found on this server."

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

I haven't forgotten Section 14 Timothy, just been busier than usual. Will get onto it soon.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Wow. In all the 48 minutes only a couple of syllables to be deleted - one at 1 minute 10 seconds - "UNwilling" should be "willing" and, at 35:59, a misreading which you corrected ("a Mariot") has not been deleted.

This section comes in at 92dB, which is acceptable, but 3dB louder than your previous section. What do you think?

Best,

Barbara

Useless trivia: the Kanaris briefly referred to became a famous Greek admiral and I guess he will figure later in this work. Anyway, I was reminded of the German Admiral Canaris, whom Hitler had executed for high treason. Bingo. Wikipedia "Canaris believed that his family was related to the 19th century Greek admiral, freedom fighter, and politician Constantine Kanaris, a belief that influenced his decision to join the Imperial German Navy. While on a visit to Corfu, he was given a portrait of the Greek hero that he always kept in his office." [turns out he wasn't a descendant after all].
Timothy Ferguson

Timothy Ferguson

Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 11th, 2018, 4:00 am Reloaded with cuts and deamplification

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/lifeofthomaslordcochrane1_14_bourne.mp3
48:18
Oops, wrong file. Right one now. It's 45.28 KB.