[SOLO] A Man of Honor by George Cary Eggleston - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

A Man of Honor by George Cary Eggleston (1839 - 1911).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-man-of-honor-by-george-eggleston/
New Yorker Robert Pagebrook travels to Virginia to visit relatives. The Civil War has ended and family ties are in order to be re-established. All goes well; the family relationships are as they should be, perhaps even better than expected. Unique character studies develop as Pagebrook finds himself in a financial predicament, becoming indebted and with no resources available, as his bank back home has dissolved. It is up to Robert Pagebrook to find a way to prove to his kin that he is still a Man of Honor. (Roger Melin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37563
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special - word perfect only to the extent where author intent or the meaning of the text might be compromised.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; General Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: honor, family relations, Virginia, bank failure, honorable

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Man of Honor by George Cary Eggleston. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Man of Honor, by George Cary Eggleston. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Man of Honor by George Cary Eggleston. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Man of Honor, by George Cary Eggleston. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename manofhonor_##_eggleston_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. manofhonor_01_eggleston_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with your workflow login and password
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Roger on May 7th, 2017, 7:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Roger,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up.

David O
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks David, looking forward to working with you.
Chapter titles have been added. Most chapters are fairly short, all things being relative.
How can you go wrong with a chapter title such as "Mr. Pagebrook eats his breakfast"? :lol:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

It sounds very interesting.
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I can DPL this if you like.
Tom
Tom Penn
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Tom! Welcome aboard. I'll have the first chapter ready by tomorrow morning (Friday, that is).
Looking forward to working with you. Give a shout if you have any questions, don't be afraid to jump all over my errors.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

That was quick!

Moving this over to Going Solo.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 1 has been posted.
Thanks. :)
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Hi Roger:
I thought that for this project I would start out being overly picky and give you the opportunity to tell me where you don't think a change is called for. This way I think I can best help you to get the final product you want. Treat my comments as suggestions rather than requirements. If there is something I think is a Librivox requirement (like audio level our of range) I'll say so. I know the PL level is word perfect with exceptions, and the exceptions are a bit of a judgement call.

Having said that, I have a few items for your consideration. If the PL level had been standard I would not have mentioned any of them.
00:03 - you state the author's name but doing so is not called for in the instructions in the first post of this thread.
05:47 - I heard "hands" and expected "hand"
09:56 - I heard "family" and expected "father"
11:27 - I heard "had the plans" and expected "had plans" (or maybe not "the" exactly but more of an extra sound)

As I said, overly picky. Only the item at 09:56 seems to me to be a notable deviation from the text.
Tom Penn
Roger

Post by Roger »

Tom - what a fabulously thorough job you've done! Not overly picky at all.
It's a big help knowing exactly where the potential error is located in the audio file, and you have accomplished that perfectly.
I will break down my thoughts on each item, in order that you might get an idea of what to expect, although you have already succeeded at doing so.

00:03 - Old habits die hard. We used to include the author's name at this point years ago. I have simply continued the habit. I expect to continue to do so, and that is fine with me.
Having said that, if by chance I omit it in a future chapter, there is no need for concern.
05:47 - You are correct, of course. We could have left it as it was, but I decided to make the change just the same. It has little effect on the text.
09:56 - Definitely needed to be corrected, and I have done so.
11:27 - I felt this needed to be fixed as well.

So, chapter 1 has been re-uploaded. Thanks so much for your attention to detail, and for your consideration. I, for one, appreciate it very much.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Roger,

If you want to include the author's name in that way, just edit the first post to reflect it so Tom can help you keep it consistent.

David O
Roger

Post by Roger »

Done. Thanks.
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Roger wrote: So, chapter 1 has been re-uploaded.
Chapter 1 PL OK! :clap:
A seamless integration of the changes, Roger. Well done! I'm envious. I have not yet learned the secrets for making my voice sound the same two days running.
Tom Penn
Roger

Post by Roger »

I would imagine I've needed to fix so many errors over the years, that 'practice makes perfect' ('perfect' being entirely relative). Also, I'm saddled with the same voice.
Thanks for the compliment.

Meanwhile, chapter two, a rather short one, has been posted.
Thanks! :)
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

David:
For some reason when I click on "man of honor" on the PL View tab of my reader page it just takes me to the reader view tab of the same page. Clicking on other titles on the PL View page takes me to those titles. Any ideas?

Edit: when I scroll over the "man of honor" link it displays as going to my catalog page instead of the project thread. So that's why, but I don't know why the link is what it is.
Last edited by Penumbra on March 13th, 2017, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Penn