COMPLETE The Aeneid of Virgil, Translated by John Dryden -tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

The Aeneid of Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC). Translated by John Dryden (1631 - 1700)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-aeneid-of-virgil-version-2-by-virgil/
John Dryden's rendition of the Aeneid, published in 1697, is perhaps the best-known classic translation of the great Roman epic into modern English.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/228
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Aeneid of Virgil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say: "The Aeneid of Virgil. Translated by John Dryden. [Title] "

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Aeneid of Virgil. Translated by John Dryden."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename aeneid_##_dryden_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. aeneid_01_dryden_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by gallen87 on March 8th, 2017, 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In case you didn't see it, we do have a group project of this in the catalog: https://librivox.org/aeneid-by-vergil/

You're welcome to do it as a solo, but I mention it because some people don't like to do something that has been done already.

Your MC will need to know a ballpark guess as to how many files/sections you'll need. The group project has 24, 2 for each book. You could do this or divide them up differently (3 per book for 36, etc.).
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

TriciaG wrote:In case you didn't see it, we do have a group project of this in the catalog: https://librivox.org/aeneid-by-vergil/

You're welcome to do it as a solo, but I mention it because some people don't like to do something that has been done already.

Your MC will need to know a ballpark guess as to how many files/sections you'll need. The group project has 24, 2 for each book. You could do this or divide them up differently (3 per book for 36, etc.).
Thanks for the heads-up! I knew it had a collaborative reading, but would like to do it solo, since I know there are listeners who prefer a solo reading when they can find one.

I'll follow the 2 per book section count.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

Also, if whoever takes an interest in this project would prefer that I do a translation that doesn't already have a collaborative read, I'd be happy to switch. The one by William Morris looks lovely and very readable.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is up to you , but if you want an opinion , I think having different translations does provide the listener with another slant - no translation is perfect.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, you're set up.

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below:
Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest, or change those first couple if you want to do them a little differently.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

TriciaG wrote:OK, you're set up.

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below:
Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest, or change those first couple if you want to do them a little differently.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
All sections titled! Thanks for volunteering to MC.

Before I begin recording, do you have a preference about the translation? I picked Dryden because he's the best known "classic" translation, but perhaps a translation that doesn't already have a collaborative reading would add more to the catalog? I already have one suggestion to change (thanks Anne).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's totally up to you. I think it's A-OK to do a solo Dryden version. Or you can change translations if you like.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

Section 01 posted and ready for PL.

Happy to hear any suggestions about pronunciation, pace, clarity, or sound quality. This is my first solo project. Thanks all!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put you in, Dave. Thanks!

Moving to Going Solo...
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.

Sounds great.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

craigdav1 wrote:1 PL OK.

Sounds great.
Thanks!

Should I post a reply to the thread every time I post a new section, or is updating the MW enough notification?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Both is best. A post in the thread will be spotted much more quickly. In the event I miss that though I check daily for sections with a "Ready for PL" in the MW.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

Section 02 added.

The length of the second section was lopsidedly longer than that of the first section, so I cut the beginning out of 02 and tacked it onto the end of 01.

The new material in 01 begins at 23:52. From now on, I'll record the full Book before breaking it up into halves.