[COMPLETE]Aladore by Henry Newbolt - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Aladore by Sir Henry Newbolt (1862 - 1938).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/aladore-by-sir-henry-newbolt/
Ywain, a knight bored with his administrative duties, abandons his estate to his younger brother and goes on a pilgrimage to seek his heart's desire. Following a will-o'-the-wisp resembling a child, his quest takes him to the city of Paladore, where he meets the lady Aithne, half-fae enchantress. Sir Henry Newbolt's allegorical fantasy was published in hardback in Britain in 1914 and in the United States a year later. It was revived in 1975 as the fifth volume in the celebrated Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library. (Phil Benson, adapted from Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/aladorehen00newbrich
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fantasy, allegory

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Aladore. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Aladore, by Sir Henry Newbolt. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Aladore by Sir Henry Newbolt. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Part]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Aladore, by Sir Henry Newbolt. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording
  • Example filename aladore_##_newbolt.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. aladore_01_newbolt.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by eggs4ears on February 25th, 2017, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC and Newgatenovelist will PL this one.

There are 58 short chapters, and I'll read them in groups of three - around 20 minutes each file.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW available

All set up I think - rest is up to you :D

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in. This is going to be brilliant!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Part 1 is PL OK.

As being finicky is part of my job, I'll note two slips in the summary. The first is in the second line, 'half-fae'. I have no idea how somebody can be half instead of entirely mystical in nature, but I can only ever remember seeing it spelled 'fey'. I don't use it regularly, I've just read about a lot of characters with the second sight!

The second one is in the third line, and it's an extra I in United States. Sorry, Phil. I think Wikipedia strikes again.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Fae is valid, it's sort of related to fairy - which does turn up as faerie as in "The Faerie Queene"
As to being half fairy - it does cause problems if you have a fairy mum and a human dad . You get stuck half way through a keyhole or so Gilbert said in Iolanthe :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The two 'i's were all my doing, don't blame wikipedia! 'Fae', I don't know. This is me being lazy. I ususally write my own summaries but I haven't finished the book yet.

This is a very easy book to read aloud. He has such a good sense of the rhythm of words, though he does begin a lot of sentences with 'and'.
Newgatenovelist

Ooooh, this is exciting! I'd never heard of 'fae' as being derived from fairy. Do you happen to recall where you came across that usage? I'd always come across fey as meaning slightly mystical or otherworldly, or, more often, as (frequently gendered) term meaning that someone possesses the second sight. Usually it's a woman who has premonitions of the future, though it could be specifically when the vision is upon her. It's also - again, in my experience - frequently used as a semi-archaic term, or in relation to Scottish seers. I should have explained this more carefully in my last post!

I'm doing what I ought to have done last night and looking it up. The Cambridge dictionary doesn't list fae but does list fey. The Oxford one lists fae as a Scottish preposition (frae) and fey as an adjective that sort-of aligns with what I'd assumed was the definition. I'm not familiar with Newbolt, so perhaps as this goes along we'll learn something new again! He's already spelled seizin with an S (seisin), whereas I've encountered it with a Z. This is all quite interesting for a word I don't use from one month to the next!

I'd noticed the cadence of the sentences, too. It really does come across as if it were meant to be read aloud.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I haven't read it , but I think he is using old fashioned words on purpose to make it an old fashioned story. I've always thought the Scots fey was to do with 2nd sight more than anything else .
The older fairy or faerie folk were not pretty little things with wings , in all European cultures they are not mortal but not necessarily very nice and better left well alone - in some places presents were left them more as appeasement than in the hope of any gain.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

It seems to be catching on - faerie was used as an alternative spelling for fairy in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and True Blood.
Newgatenovelist

Oooh, Jonathan Strange! Did either of you catch the radio adaptation of Stardust and the linked short story by Susanna Clarke? It was on the BBC about two months ago, and it was quite good.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have inadvertently stumbled into the corner of LV where we can discuss variant spellings of faerie.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

No I didn't. They are on the BBC website but unfortunately 'not available in your area'.

One of the reasons I joined librivox was that I had stopped reading books aloud to my son (he was fourteen, taller than me and it was getting a bit embarrassing) and I needed a new outlet. Jonathan Strange was the last book we read, so I have, in fact, read the whole thing aloud, though only as a live unrecorded performance. Wonderful book!

I have finished my Nat Gould so will be speeding up a bit here from now on!
Newgatenovelist

Arrrgh, I didn't mean to tempt you with the promise of something that wasn't there. You *ought* to be able to stream it from outside the UK, or else I wouldn't have been able to catch it. The iplayer website is pretty generous with material with commercial potential (ie, not the Film Programme). I think it used to be 7 days that it stayed up, now it's 28, I think, and I think the clock might also be reset if the programme is rebroadcast. There was a production of Neverwhere on about four years ago - it even included Christopher Lee in a small role! If I spot either of these being cycled back into the schedule I'll let you know. If it's any consolation, I recently tried to listen to something on the ABC's website and it wasn't having it.

I'll confess - I haven't (yet!) read Jonathan Strange. It's on the very top of one of the piles of books under my desk, though, just waiting for me. We watched the adaptation and even my partner, who is not, shall we say, in the first rank of fantasy enthusiasts, couldn't wait to keep watching.

Have a good weekend!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 2 & 3 ready for PL! Now I have to decide how to pronounce Aithne - Enya or Ethni? I think I prefer Enya.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/aladore_02_newbolt.mp3 - 14:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/aladore_03_newbolt.mp3 - 23:06