[COMPLETE] The Ukraine, by George Raffalovich - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

The Ukraine, by George Raffalovich

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-ukraine-by-george-raffalovich/
“We are not the same nation with Russian people,” the statement which all Ukrainians wish to convey to the whole world for centuries. The striving for freedom and independence is what these people shed much of their blood on Ukrainian lands for.

“The Ukraine” by Bedwin Sands (George Raffalovich) describes Ukrainian problem, which exacerbated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, by looking back at the Ukrainian history, the development of Ukrainian literature and its influence, and by considering its relations with Austria and Russia. (Summary by Anastasiia Solokha)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/ukrainereprintof00bedwrich/page/n11/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Ukraine. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Ukraine, by George Raffalovich. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Ukraine, by George Raffalovich."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ukraine_##_raffalovich_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ukraine_01__raffalovich_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ShiNeko on June 19th, 2022, 5:56 pm, edited 14 times in total.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Found the author: https://www.ukrainiansintheuk.info/eng/02/raffalovich-e.htm
I think it is best to link his pseudonim to the page with his real name in the catalogue.
~Anastasiia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to be DPL for this project. And, I would read the Conclusion if you would PL for me.
~ Larry
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

silverquill wrote: June 16th, 2022, 6:43 am I would be glad to be DPL for this project. And, I would read the Conclusion if you would PL for me.
Gladly accept your help! I will assign you to the section as soon as a MC picks up this project.
~Anastasiia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up. The MW is up.

We use the real name for the author page in the catalog, unless the author published everything under the pseudonym. We already had an author page set up for Raffalovich as translator of Hrushevsky, where he was credited under his real name. I've added Bedwin Sands as a pseudonym. It's up to you, Nastya, which name to use in the intros and in the filename. Also, please make the choice between "section" and "chapter".

M.
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Kazbek wrote: June 16th, 2022, 2:24 pm I'll be glad to set this up. The MW is up.

We use the real name for the author page in the catalog, unless the author published everything under the pseudonym. We already had an author page set up for Raffalovich as translator of Hrushevsky, where he was credited under his real name. I've added Bedwin Sands as a pseudonym. It's up to you, Nastya, which name to use in the intros and in the filename. Also, please make the choice between "section" and "chapter".
Thanks, Misha, for supporting Ukrainian projects. Everything is ready now.
~Anastasiia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

My pleasure. :) Moving the thread to Readers Wanted.
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

A most interesting and relevant project. I'd like to claim the following section:

0 Introduction Open

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

yourbookvoice wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:05 am A most interesting and relevant project. I'd like to claim the following section:

0 Introduction Open
Hello, Kerry!
It's yours.
~Anastasiia
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

ShiNeko wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:18 am
yourbookvoice wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:05 am A most interesting and relevant project. I'd like to claim the following section:

0 Introduction Open
Hello, Kerry!
It's yours.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to making a contribution to this project. :)
Be of good cheer.
KLA
Alister

Post by Alister »

Can I claim;

1 The Place of the Ukrainians among the Slav Races
and
2 The Ukrainian Nation

Please?

~Alister
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Alister wrote: June 18th, 2022, 11:04 pm Can I claim;

1 The Place of the Ukrainians among the Slav Races
and
2 The Ukrainian Nation

Please?
Hello, Alister! Yes, of course. Thank you for choosing this project as your first one. :) Please, tell me under which name (or nickname) you would like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog if you have one.
~Anastasiia
Alister

Post by Alister »

Thank you for having me :)

I'll do my best to provide a good set of early chapters. And I agree with Kerry; the book is quite a timely addition.

Hmmm... yeah Alister is fine. And I don't have anywhere to link to.

Below is my (first) stab at the first section. Apologies in advance for any terminology or foreign names butchered :?.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/ukraine_01_raffalovich_128kb.mp3 (05:15)
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Alister wrote: June 19th, 2022, 1:23 am Thank you for having me :)

I'll do my best to provide a good set of early chapters. And I agree with Kerry; the book is quite a timely addition.

Hmmm... yeah Alister is fine. And I don't have anywhere to link to.

Below is my (first) stab at the first section. Apologies in advance for any terminology or foreign names butchered :?.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/ukraine_01_raffalovich_128kb.mp3 (05:15)
Great! I've assigned you to the sections and added your recording to the MW. Here is your reader page:
https://librivox.org/reader/17571
If you click on the "Reader section details", you can see your progress there. :)

P.S. if you have questions about some Ukrainian or Russian words here, feel free to ask.
~Anastasiia
Alister

Post by Alister »

Welp—if nothing else—I very much suspect I butchered the following names/terms, though I think that two of them aren't slavic at all!
  • Abel Hovelacque
  • Potebnia
  • Jitetskyj
(is the second J silent?)
  • Velytchko
  • Dii Lariœ
( :shock: )

Any insight?