[COMPLETE] Anti-Dictator by Étienne de La Boétie - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Nice reading of an inspiring text.

two errors noted

3:42 A weakness characteristic of human kind – you read A weakness characteristic of the human mind

P 6 6:55 not only with energy – you read the energy – change if you want to.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
bennow

Post by bennow »

Great ear, fixed them both. Time stamps should be exactly the same.

Thanks!

-Ben
soupy

Post by soupy »

Part one is PLOK :thumbs:

Nice corrections.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
bennow

Post by bennow »

Thanks! I always try to record multiple versions for this very purpose. I was lucky enough to have only made the kind/mind mistake in two of the three.

Section 2 coming soon ...
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Ben,

It's been quite some time since you've posted here. I hope everything is OK and you're just busy with real life. I'll leave this for another month and if I don't hear from you by then I will move it to abandoned.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Timely!
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
bennow

Post by bennow »

Hi all,

I'm posting this same message in both my active projects, so apologies for the repeat.

Sparing the boring details, life has been really complicated for the past few months, and this has just slipped through the cracks. I'm genuinely sorry for disappearing; I know it's stressful and annoying for everyone to have a lingering project (or two).

That said, I am back and ready to do some uploading. Check these spaces in the next week.

Apologies,
Ben
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Hi Ben. I'm glad to see you back. As long as I know you're still around I can keep this on the books so don't worry about rushing back into it. Just a note every month or so will keep us active. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
bennow

Post by bennow »

Hi just checking in. I've got a recording session blocked out for tomorrow on my calendar, so hopefully I can get that knocked out and edited and in the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Ben
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

OK! :)
Bev

bennow

Post by bennow »

Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/antidictator_02_delaboetie_128kb.mp3

run time 55:21

Phew! This is a long section, both in page length and because there are a LOT of footnotes. Regarding those, I dropped one of them because it was self-referential to an earlier page in this text and would be unhelpful to the listener. There are I think two others where I pushed the note by a word or two because they appear just before the end of a sentence in the text. Beyond that, I can't say that all of my Latin and Greek (and French for the matter) pronunciations are totally spot on, but I hope they aren't so horrible as to be distracting.

The length, notes, and tricky words held me up over the weekend and made me have to a fair bit of editing, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some errors in there, but I really tried to listen close and get it all cleaned up.

Thanks! Hope it isn't as hot where you are as it is where I am!

-Ben
soupy

Post by soupy »

You have a good reading voice and the content is impressive Ben. It's been rainy in Wisconsin.

Only one error found :D

19:52 p. 23 in order to appease him they decided to send Xerxes two of their citizens - you read two of their children.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I'm doing a sort-through of all my active projects. It's been a while since we heard from you Ben. Can you just post once to let me know that you're still interested in this project?
Bev

bennow

Post by bennow »

Bev,

I'm posting this in both of my active projects. Apologies for going incommunicado. Without getting too personal, there have been some seismic shifts in my life over the past few months and I simply haven't been able to keep up with this.

It is my sincere hope that I will be able to finish these projects in the future, but I cannot say when that might be. If we can put these on hold that's great, but since I have to honestly say my absence will be indefinite, it may make more sense to end up in Orphans.

Really, I'm very sorry to have to do this, especially having been trusted to take on two projects at once, but needs must and all.

Best wishes to everyone for the new year,

Ben
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

(((Ben)))

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.