COMPLETE: Watch and Wait by Oliver Optic -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives by Oliver Optic (1822 - 1897).

This project is now complete. All audio files are available for download from the catalog page.

http://librivox.org/watch-and-wait-the-young-fugitives-by-william-taylor-adams/

One soft summer evening, when Woodville was crowned with the glory and beauty of the joyous season, three strangers presented themselves before the Grant family, and asked for counsel and assistance. The party consisted of two boys and a girl, and they belonged to that people which
the traditions of the past have made the "despised race;" but the girl was whiter and fairer than many a proud belle who would have scorned her
in any other capacity than that of a servant; and one of the boys was very nearly white, while the other was as black as ebony undefiled. They
were fugitives and wanderers from the far south-west; and the story which they told to Mr. Grant and his happy family will form the
substance of this volume. ( Chapter 1 of text) Listeners, please be advised that this book contains material related to slavery which some may find offensive. These types of actions and language were common during the historical period during which this account is written.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/28038
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Family; Children's Fiction/Religion; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: young adult, slavery, morals, race, character, learning lessons

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives, by Oliver Optic. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives by Oliver Optic. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives, by Oliver Optic. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename watchandwait_##_optic_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. watchandwait_01_optic_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Oliver Optic
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Watch and Wait; The Young Fugitives

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Scarlet576 on April 12th, 2017, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Linny will be the DPL.
linny

Post by linny »

:clap: :clap: :clap: and happy to be so!
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Linny, CC wasn't an option for level of proof-listening so I just chose "special" and let's try the CC you were telling me about!! I certainly want it to be the best it can be!!

Thanks!
Scarlett
linny

Post by linny »

You've got it. Nice thing is anything I note which isn't standard you can always say "nope, don't feel like it today". :wink:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll set this up for you Scarlet. The MW will be available shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Please note, I have edited the text link to the PG page for this book. Also note the shortened filenames. :)
Jo
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Wow! Thanks for filling in the magic window! Amazing!! Appreciate it.
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Poor Archy.... I see trouble coming his way!!
linny

Post by linny »

Oh, you've started! I'm excited. :clap:

I use your project as my reward for getting caught up. I'm a bit behind on PLing so it might take me a couple of days.
linny

Post by linny »

I can hardly believe it but I'm caught up! (for now) cc comments do not have to be addressed. You are free to pick and choose or ignore all of them. :thumbs:

Chapter 1 the volume is too low at 83.

Chapter 2
0:38 - slight stumble - "Shove off!" repeated Dandy, who, as coxswain of the boat, was charged with the execution of the orders delivered by his imperial master.

When you record your correction give the entire section a try; from the last pause, generally a comma or period. I believe you will be more pleased with the final edit and voice matching.

cc 3:59 - but also in reference to sailing craft; and there was no person on the place more skilful in the management of the schooner than the body-servant of Master Archy.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schooner

cc 5:58 - The order to return, therefore, was a grievous disappointment to him; for the head gardener or the head groom would be sure to find a job for him that would last all day.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grievous
linny

Post by linny »

Both are spot check PL OK. :thumbs: Chapter 1 is still on the lower side at 86.9dB but within range.

Please leave a post in the thread when you upload. I have been relying on my "view your posts" view more than my PL list.
linny

Post by linny »

Time to send Archy to military school. :evil:

Chapter 3 is PL OK
Scarlet576

Post by Scarlet576 »

Finally a break in school!! Hopefully I'll get back on a more regular schedule soon!!
linny

Post by linny »

Chapters 4 and 5 are both PL OK with the exception of some technical flags on 4.

Volume is coming in too low at 85.4dB and also a flag on noise.

Glad to hear school is settling down. Finals week for me.