COMPLETE - Viajes de Gulliver - Jonathan Swift-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Well, thx both of you I´m reinforcing my faith in this project. I´ve heard chapter 2 in the mentioned point and you are right , if i had said cosas(things) it wouldnt have been the same but i said "joyas" (jewels) but well, argentinians pronounce the j at the beggining in a very week sound so you probably catched it as a sound of a c (or any consonant), and the "Y" ... well we pronounce them in a very strong sound (similar as sh in english /she/sheep/short ) while people from Spain pronounce the y as the sound of y in english you/your/yellow. (They used to say that we killed the true Spanish, imagine that we use "vos" instead of "tu" so they barely understand our spanish) Maybe thats why you heard "cosas". lol i hope you have understood something of this, it sound complicated even for me and i said it :mrgreen: :oops:
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:lol i hope you have understood something of this, it sound complicated even for me and i said it :mrgreen: :oops:
don't forget you talk to a girl who is absolutely crazy about linguistics ;) I understood perfectly what you meant, and thank you for your explanation. Actually I was assuming you might really have said "joyas" in an unfamiliar pronunciation, but as I was unsure, I wanted to ask nevertheless. Don't worry, I will get better at your pronunciation the more I listen to this. By the end of the project I will have an Argentinian accent myself :mrgreen:

Oh and I wouldn't say you "killed" the true Spanish, from what I hear you kept it purer. But I shouldn't judge by only hearing one person narrate a book, when I don't know how all the other guys over there in South America drawl :lol:

I hope to get another chapter in tomorrow.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I just listened to chapter 3 :) I completely forgot the scene where the ministers had to walk on a rope, it was funny to hear it again, I think I understood most of what is going on.

three PL notes here:

> there is a small technical problem, which in fact is in all your recordings: I opened them in Audacity today, that’s why I noticed only now, but the problem is also in Sections 1 and 2. Sorry for not mentioning it yesterday :oops:

You jump too fast into the recording, our standard here at LV is usually to leave at 0.5-1 second of silence in the beginning. You have less than half a second in your files. I don’t think it’s important to re-upload all the files you already did now just for this, but maybe be careful in your future recordings to leave a bit more space in the beginning. :)

> at 6:43: missing sentence (p. 39 middle): “El restodel Consejo estuvo á mi favor, y el emperador aprobó la resolución.”

> at 15:22: “después midieron mi dedo pulgar” (p. 44 middle): you say “luego”, does this mean the same (I suppose it means “later”) ?

Since you have to insert that missing sentence anyway, you could also insert the half-second of silence at the beginning here.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 4:

haha, the episode of the breaking of the eggs, this is so hilarious. :lol: Swift was really a great satirist of his times.

I only found one small repeat, which can be cut out:

> at 10:19-10:20: “nos hallamos” – this part is repeated, you can cut these seconds out

And again, if you’d like to put in a bit more silence at the beginning, since you re-upload anyway. ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 5:

:mrgreen: the famous scene where Gulliver puts out the fire by a most clever action is very funny. I'm not sure I would be amused if I was the empress, but it's always better than burn to death, I guess. :roll:

only one small part where I am not sure, maybe you can check again:

> at 3:24: “huyeron tierra adentro” (p. 55 bottom) – I hear something different here: “asiera” ? not sure though :?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 6 (last one for today then I need a break)

this chapter felt a bit longer because there was no action, only lengthy narrative about the school system in general. Luckily not every chapter is like that.

I only found one repeat here:

> from 10:17-10:34: “hay escuelas separadas […] á su rango” (p. 66 bottom): this whole part is repeated again, and can be cut out

You are really not making many mistakes, so it's very easy for me to PL your sections :9: Thanks for your diligence. :thumbs:

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Soncia you are such a wonderful DPL! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: But please you dont need to rush, you`ll have nightmares with Gulliver and lilliputiens running through your body :lol: I corrected sections 3 and 4 and added more silence at the beggining of the 4 first sections. Ok, thanks a lot for your work and your words of encouragement. Have a nice day
Victor
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:But please you dont need to rush, you`ll have nightmares with Gulliver and lilliputiens running through your body :lol:
don't worry, no liliputian nightmares so far. And soon we'll be in Brobdignag, so that will give me a change of scenery 8-)
I corrected sections 3 and 4 and added more silence at the beggining of the 4 first sections.

thank you, these 2 sections are PL ok now. :thumbs:

Working on the next chapter now...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

finished chapter 7. In this part I understood way too much Spanish for comfort...the part where he explained how is eyes would get taken out by surgeons :? :help: made me a bit queasy, even in Spanish.

You almost made a perfect run through, but in the last minute I found a repeated sentence, sorry. :( This needs to be cut out:

> at 22:46-23:02: “y ofrecerle todos los servicios […] mención de mi disgracia.” (p. 85 middle)

Again, maybe also add the half-second at the beginning. The rest was all good.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

only one small note for chapter 8:

> at 0:07: in the intro disclaimer you forgot to say “de Jonathan Swift”.

The text of the text has been perfectly narrated without a single error. And now we have left Liliput and Blefuscu behind. :clap: Enough for today.

I hope you have a good start in the weekend

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey, I see you have re-uploaded the corrected chapters 5-8. Well done on all of them, all PL ok now.

I also see you have done two more chapters, it's too late to check them today though. I try to do one tomorrow. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

back in action. Section 9 was quite long but it's all PL ok. :thumbs: (unless you like to put the half-second of silence at the beginning again, of course). Well done.

This time was a bit harder for me to understand it all because I am not as familiar with the story of the giants as with the one of the Liliputians. But I managed to get the gist of most of the text.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the smaller chapter 10 is also PL ok, apart from the initial silence, again. I suppose, with the new chapters, you will think about inserting them immediately.

The next chapter is very long, I don't think I can finish that one today. It was a lot of concentration that was required of me for these two chapters. I need a bit of a break now. Will continue tomorrow.

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey Sonia, you are really great, Thanks for all your kind work and sorry if I am not replying too much, I´m a bit overwhelmed with so much to do! I´ll try to manage to insert a bit more space at the beginning (in fact I´m doing it in the new audios) .
I´ve just got confused between 0,5 sec or 0,5 msec,
Thanks again!
Victor
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:sorry if I am not replying too much, I´m a bit overwhelmed with so much to do!
hey no stress, this is not a race. I am also happy that you are not too fast for me to PL it all. I prefer not to have another built-up of 10 chapters ;)

Finished with Chapter 3 now:

ah this time you remembered to put in the initial 0.5 s of silence :thumbs:

I think this chapter was easier for me to understand, maybe I’m getting the hang of Spanish already. :mrgreen: I liked the sterner voice you used to read the speech of the giant king. There really should be more dialogue in the book.

Only two PL notes this time:

> at 6:40: “que se había quedado á la puerta” (p. 123 middle) – you say “parado”, this means the same, I suppose ? :hmm:

> 10-36-10:51: repeat of the sentence “y por consiguiente […] vasallo de S. M.” (p. 125 middle): can be cut out once

This chapter was quite long, now I need another break. I hope to finish the last chapter tomorrow. And then the backlog is worked off. :9:

Sonia