[COMPLETE][Deutsch][Kurzgeschichten]Aus dänischer Zeit by Charlotte Niese - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I see for some reason you already recorded the last chapter of the book as well. What a sad story about Franz. Even though his ungratefulness during the beginning was really annoying me, in the end I did not wish him his fate at sea.

> This part is a little bit low on volume. Only 85.3 dB which is slightly under the required LV minimum of 86 dB.

> at 8:05: "weil wir unsere Geburtstage viel klüger eingerichtet hatten" - you say "Geburtstags-Tage", which is unnecessary doubling

I also heard the noise again, if you like to listen at around 21:30 it starts again and at 25:10 you clearly hear how the machine or whatever it is stops. Maybe you find out what it was while listening to it stopping

I loooved the Rummelpott song which was constantly recurring during the chapter. Also nice touch that you gave it a bit of a melody. Is it one you know or simply invented for the occasion ? I didn't know about this tradition, it's lovely to hear about such little incidents in stories. :9:

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Ooh, thank you, amazing what little gremlins slip through the net.
Hope edits ok.
There was an issue for a while with bits of background noise and I couldn't work out what caused it. Chapter 7, which I had recorded very soon after Chapter 6, had it so badly that I erased the whole thing, even though it had taken hours. And now it seems to be a bit better.

I have run a second round of noise reduction on 6, so it's more tinny now, but maybe that problem will be a bit better.

Amazing how fast you've been getting through these. And glad you like the characterisation! No, I didn't know the Rummelpott song, it was a spontaneous rendition... I did look up the meaning in old dictionaries, because it uses some expressions in dialect which even by Niese's time had become obscure, as she notes in a footnote. Did you find it easy to decode?

Until soon
Sabrina :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

storylines wrote:Ooh, thank you, amazing what little gremlins slip through the net.
Hope edits ok.
yes I just checked chapters 4, 5, 6 and 21 and they are all Spot PL ok. :thumbs:
There was an issue for a while with bits of background noise and I couldn't work out what caused it. Chapter 7, which I had recorded very soon after Chapter 6, had it so badly that I erased the whole thing, even though it had taken hours. And now it seems to be a bit better.
it's still audible, but way less than before. It's ok now. Pity you couldn't trace the source. But is it gone now for the next chapters ?
No, I didn't know the Rummelpott song, it was a spontaneous rendition... I did look up the meaning in old dictionaries, because it uses some expressions in dialect which even by Niese's time had become obscure, as she notes in a footnote. Did you find it easy to decode?
well yes, since I had the text in front of me, I was able to decipher the gist of it myself, although I did not understand every word. :lol:

Chapter 7 will have to wait for tomorrow, I want to do a few poems of my own for the moment.

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Thank you Sonia...

I moved the computer to another room! That was all the change, though I couldn't hear any audible source before, in the initial room - well, let's see. It seems to be better now. I also bought a microphone after the annoying-sound episode, by the way, hoping that would cut a lot of background hiss. Had used the laptop's built-in mic before and it had generally been fine.

Don't know if it's at all interesting but this is my translation (into English) of the Rummelpott song, based on three dialect dictionaries that have expressions used in the eighteenth / nineteenth century:

Annlieschen, open the doors / And let the rumbling pot in! / And when the merchant from Holland comes / Then he has good sense! / Merchant, would you abscond / boatswain would you run off / Hoist the sails up and down / And give me something in my rumbling pot / one, two, three, four / And if it were only half a thaler!

Fairy tales mention thaler as currency, don't they... hope you enjoy your poems this evening. Thank you for your enthusaism with these stories!!

Sabrina :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 7 is also PL ok. I can well imagine how the crossing of the Sund was for them, because I have crossed from the northern Cape of Germany to the island of Fehmarn once in a ferry, on a trip over to Denmark. Apparently that's the island where they are living in the book. Interesting fact I learnt !
storylines wrote:I moved the computer to another room! That was all the change, though I couldn't hear any audible source before, in the initial room - well, let's see. It seems to be better now. I also bought a microphone after the annoying-sound episode, by the way, hoping that would cut a lot of background hiss. Had used the laptop's built-in mic before and it had generally been fine.
I didn't notice the annoying sound in this episode, so I guess it's fine now.
Don't know if it's at all interesting but this is my translation (into English) of the Rummelpott song, based on three dialect dictionaries that have expressions used in the eighteenth / nineteenth century:

Annlieschen, open the doors / And let the rumbling pot in! / And when the merchant from Holland comes / Then he has good sense! / Merchant, would you abscond / boatswain would you run off / Hoist the sails up and down / And give me something in my rumbling pot / one, two, three, four / And if it were only half a thaler!

Fairy tales mention thaler as currency, don't they...
excellent translation. Yes, thaler is an old German currency, as far as I know, often used in fairytales, you're right. :thumbs:

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Oh, yes! Charlotte Niese grew up on Fehmarn. Later she worked as governess before moving to Altona, where she spent the rest of her life writing... :)

I had better get on to the next chapters asap... deeply impressed!

Sabrina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh I did not notice you had posted a new chapter until now, sorry.

Krambabuli is such a sad story, it really brought some tears to my eyes in the end. :cry: I was so hoping the boy would survive, even though I was expecting the ending. Most of the stories are sad in this book. I hope there are some happy ones too, as well.

Chapter 8 PL ok, in any case.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have just seen by pure chance that there is a new chapter ready !

Could I ask you please to post a note in the thread, each time that you upload something ? Otherwise I don't get a notification and I don't check the MW every day, sorry. So I don't know how long this has been uploaded already without me noticing. :(

Well, this part is again PL ok. This story about unfulfilled love was so sad :cry: All these stories would make a great little mini-series for TV, I think. The descriptions and dialogues are so nicely crafted that I see it all in front of my eyes unfolding like a movie, each time I listen to an episode. :9:

Thanks

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Oh, ok, will do! I assumed that you would get an email notification about addition to the MW! But actually, you got to the new chapter within about an hour of posting it! :D

That's a thought, about a TV series! I think of Niese as a consummate story teller and want to do some of her novels / novellas on Librivox as well... advance notice! maybe you would be interested in PLing them? ? :?:

Thanks, Sonia! :clap:
storylines

Post by storylines »

One more of the sketches uploaded!
S :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

storylines wrote:One more of the sketches uploaded!
S :D
thanks for letting me know :) Just listened to it, and it's PL ok, no errors found. :thumbs: I had a bit of a hard time picturing such an apparently big woman doing these ballet moves :lol:

It was a fun chapter this time. (apart from the episode with the rabbits that would get cooked :cry: ) I have a pet bunny sitting next to me on the couch and she was not amused at all.

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Thanks Sonia, and I quite agree with your rabbit - I wasn't amused either - but although the author can be a bit callous about animals in other sketches I think the comment about 'regretfully having to decline the invitation' was meant to be ironic and a 'thanks but no thanks' sentiment - your little rabbit can breathe easy! :D

I love how fast you get round to these!!

S
storylines

Post by storylines »

One more uploaded! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

storylines wrote:One more uploaded! :D
hehe, here was finally a totally positive and funny story ! I had to grin all the way through, when the children constantly feared they would go to jail on a life-sentence LOL

no errors found ! PL ok again.

Sonia
storylines

Post by storylines »

Excellent, so quick, thanks Sonia! Here comes one more - a very sobering story in its honesty has something shocking about aspects of society one usually prefers to look away from. ...

S :clap: