Post by smike »

Chapter 29 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Nearly there, Bob!
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
BobR

Post by BobR »

Chapter 30 has been uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/thecountryhouse_30_galsworthy.128db_.mp3
12:57.06
Only one more chapter. I have given A LOT of time trying to decide on what to record in the future. However, I enjoy both the search and the doing of the recording. I have reviewed perhaps 20 authors, and scanned in one form or another over 50 of their novels. The problem is that most of the "good stuff" has been done. The best opportunities seem to be the lesser (or earliest) works of the great authors. So I have chosen a dozen or so novels, from which I can chose one to next record. A good many are westerns. Westerns seem to have a substantial following (11,000 views of my first one); but they are certainly not for everyone.
I say all this to you and MaryAnn to ask whether you will sign on to my next reading. It will be "The Conquest of Canaan" by Booth Tarkington---a fine author, and a pretty good book.
It is (again) turn of the century in a small Midwestern town---has to do with social mores---status---injustice---gossip--wealth/power/poverty, etc. A young man is seen as a no-good. Loves a daughter of a wealthy judge, from afar. Goes away. Gets a law degree--comes back, defends a hopeless case. Wins respect. Etc. It was made into a silent movie twice. Most of it reads well, but it is far from terrific. It is somewhat fanciful at times. You may be able to find more on line.
smike

Post by smike »

Hi Bob, in theory, I'd love to DPL, but I am about to move home, and I don't expect to be online on a regular basis before Mid-May.
Claudia

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Bob,

I'd be happy to MC for you. Let's just go ahead and get started, I don't think we will have any trouble finding help to proof listen. Schedules are changing for people all the time and there will be someone who moved last year and so has plenty of time this spring.

Good luck with your move Claudia!

MaryAnn
smike

Post by smike »

Thanks,MaryAnn.It's actually quite daunting, and quite a distance to boot (well, for Germans it is a distance, probably not for Americans. :))
Claudia

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Once you have to hire a moving truck and find a new grocery story, you're in a long distance move, whether it's between two suburbs in Chicago, or moving from NY to LA.

One step at a time! You'll get through it.

MaryAnn
BobR

Post by BobR »

Ch 31, the final chapter of the Country House, has been uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/thecountryhouse_31_galsworthy.128kb_.mp3
15:58.35
Thank you, so much, Claudia, for your masterful job. And I hope for you a most successful relocation. Your check is in the mail.(An American sarcasm).
Also, MaryAnn. Thanks again for holding my hand. Bob Rollins
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No problem Bob! It's great fun to work with you!

As we wait for the last section to be PL'd, can you check and update your section titles in the magic window?

We go from "Part 1 chapter 10" to "part 2 chapter 1". OK, that would make sense to me if the book has multiple parts. But I don't understand the jump from "part 2 chapter 4" to "Ch 15".

Should it be just "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc. through "Chapter 31"?

Thanks.

MaryAnn
BobR

Post by BobR »

Yes. I can do it either way. The book has Part 01 with 10 Chapters; Part 02 with 12 Chapters; and Part 03 with 09 Chapters. I began changing the Chapter listing at the time you mentioned that the titles should just run without mention of the "Part". I know you were speaking of the actual uploaded titles; I was not sure of what system should go into the Magic Window listing. (Recognize that the reading itself uses the Part 1, Chapter 01 system.) But I can see that it should be consistent. So-----should I redo the list with "Chapter 1 thru 31" system like the uploaded title----or should I redo the listing using the Part 1, Ch 01" system (as the listener hears it?) Bpb
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Bob,

That makes sense. As to which approach to use . . . as the BC and soloist, it's for you to decide. If it was me, I would probably have them match what I said on the recording, but both approaches are perfectly acceptable.

MaryAnn
smike

Post by smike »

From the listener's perspective, I'd go with how they are named in the book.
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

Both chapters are PL OK. :thumbs:

Well done, Bob, it was a pleasure to listen!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Now to start packing -- a major undertaking...
Claudia

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Congratulations Bob!

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/the-country-house-by-john-galsworthy/